• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 NHL Season Thread

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D on this team is seriously inept. No bite or clearing out at all. Reminds of the O'Lay D of the mid-80s. Don't care for how Bowlby is forming this team currently, nothing but smaller "skilled" guys, that ultimately will be pushed off the puck and have it end up in the back of Kings net. I know that the league is pushing for more uptempo play, and guys need to be able to skate well, but D must still be the backbone, IMO. Team hasn't had any, for going on 5 years now....not good.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another dash?

Elbows hasn't shown much - one way or another (although he just scored his first NHL goal. Nice shot) - to really get on the list but the Anderson has been praised so much for being "heady", "poised", etc and I just don't see it. Watching this game against Vegas and he has been OK but some really poor plays that luckily have not burned LA on the scoreboard.

The difference between Elbows and Anderson is that Anderson is getting plenty of play time and still looks awful; I just have not seen much from this guy. He's getting between 21-22 minutes ATOI )this is before the Walker/Roy injuries) and he's fumbling pucks, poor reads, and zero bite in front of the net. Just not impressed but getting the J-Blow love for whatever reason. "Great practice habits" of whatever BS they want to say.

Must be the number, overall the last decent player to wear 44 was Regehr. And we all know who my favorite to wear that number is, this guy is looking like a NA Modry more and more by the game.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D on this team is seriously inept. No bite or clearing out at all. Reminds of the O'Lay D of the mid-80s. Don't care for how Bowlby is forming this team currently, nothing but smaller "skilled" guys, that ultimately will be pushed off the puck and have it end up in the back of Kings net. I know that the league is pushing for more uptempo play, and guys need to be able to skate well, but D must still be the backbone, IMO. Team hasn't had any, for going on 5 years now....not good.
Agreed. The game has changed but you can't have a bunch of 5'11" defenders who will be outmuscled in front of the net. Right now minus MacDermid, there is almost no physical presence protecting Quick or Peterson. I'm not saying the Kings need 6 MacDermids but they certainly need to beef up the back end.

I've been patient with Bowlby, never been a fan of his as a player and not impressed as an executive so far. But we are about to go into year 4 wiith guy and there has not been significant improvement at the NHL level, prospects are piling up who need to be playing and he has completely focused on the forward corps instead of a good mix of F and D in the draft and undrafted free agents. I'll bite my tongue for now, but this is a defense heavy draft coming up, and it sure looks like the Kings will have another top 5 pick. Hopefully they focus on getting some good defenders, and I'd be even for moving some of the prospects to get a somewhat young NHL regular defenseman at this point.

There is just too much of a gap between the veterans and the young kids, there are no real mid 20s players to hold the fort until these prospects develop. They don't need a superstar, but they do need a bridge. This is exactly what Dumbo did in summer 2007, signing guys like Handzus, Preissing, Stuart, Nagy, Calder.

Blake is in year 4 now and has yet to address this need.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're at it can we please stop with the third grade first names for professional, grown men NHL players? Mikey? Dougie Hamilton?

Here, have a drum stick.

=)~~

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown and Kempe tied for most goals at 4
Browns all on power play so not adding to his +
Brown (3) and Roy(2) are only Kings above 0 in plus/minus
Brown has 10 penalty minutes. Macdermid 14 but that includes 2 fights.
Brown second to kopitar in points

I don’t want to say his play had been spectacular but on this team he is at least doing more than most. Yes I know some of his goals were luck/tap ins but at least he was in the right spot to get the tap in or get hit by the puck.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown and Kempe tied for most goals at 4
Browns all on power play so not adding to his +
Brown (3) and Roy(2) are only Kings above 0 in plus/minus
Brown has 10 penalty minutes. Macdermid 14 but that includes 2 fights.
Brown second to kopitar in points

I don’t want to say his play had been spectacular but on this team he is at least doing more than most. Yes I know some of his goals were luck/tap ins but at least he was in the right spot to get the tap in or get hit by the puck.

Not a Brown fan after the last contract, he is insignificant to me at this point no matter what he does, good or not. If he was making $3 million year I wouldn't be so annoyed with him.

Appreciate all he did, especially in his prime, but he flat out has been a money suck on 75% of this contract. Not his fault, and I'm not blaming him for it (I believe he negotiated his own contract with Dumbo on this deal but can't remember for sure) but because of his contract the Kings have been stuck with him for years. I personally would have moved him 2-3 years ago when he scored 20+ goals again for the first time 5 years, I believe there actually was some interest in him for a PO bound team.

I expect him to be exposed again for Seattle like he was for the Vegas ED. He has been a solid soldier, and deserves to have his number retired but I accepted a long time ago he was not tradeable. Same for Carter and Quick, although Quick can still be a decent starter somewhere behind the right D in my opinion.

The Kings have not been losing games because of him or Peterson, the loss of just Walker and Roy, two rising players but not yet established ones, has exposed this matador defense badly. That's on Bowlby for the way he has built this team.

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that didn't take long, Laine benched the entire third period. Saw the initial report yesterday but details came out. Don't know what was said but if he said something to a coach, well...

People keep pointing to him and an LA union, I just don't see it with this type of attitude. No matter who the GM has been the Kings don't keep these types of players in the organization under ownership of Anschutz (Corvo, Klima, Khristich, Karalahti, Ronning, Audette, Roenick, Cloutier, the list is endless) so I don't see them making a move for him unless he drastically changes the way he is. He's young enough to where that is very possible, but he's five years into the league already.

Laine may be a pure sniper but also appears to be a pure prima donna and whiner. His name has been out there for a long time associated with trades and unhappiness which says a lot considering he is only 22.

Two teams, disgruntled in both places, Columbus a whopping 4-5 games in.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laine is a 1 trick pony, might as well setup as if your on a pk if the puck isnt in the offensive zone

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that didn't take long, Laine benched the entire third period. Saw the initial report yesterday but details came out. Don't know what was said but if he said something to a coach, well...

People keep pointing to him and an LA union, I just don't see it with this type of attitude. No matter who the GM has been the Kings don't keep these types of players in the organization under ownership of Anschutz (Corvo, Klima, Khristich, Karalahti, Ronning, Audette, Roenick, Cloutier, the list is endless) so I don't see them making a move for him unless he drastically changes the way he is. He's young enough to where that is very possible, but he's five years into the league already.

Laine may be a pure sniper but also appears to be a pure prima donna and whiner. His name has been out there for a long time associated with trades and unhappiness which says a lot considering he is only 22.

Two teams, disgruntled in both places, Columbus a whopping 4-5 games in.

Columbus is a total shit show and it's kind of sad. Good team that no one wants to play in the playoffs in my opinion but just can't seem to keep players happy. I don't think it's all Torts either. This was going on long before he took over the coaching.

All this and now Koivu decides to randomly retire after being a healthy scratch. I get he's 37 and declining big time but it's pretty random to me when I guy retires 24 hours after being benched.

If this keeps up I can see the franchise move if the opportunity were to come up.

Oh by the way to all the Brown haters:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Columbus is a total shit show and it's kind of sad. Good team that no one wants to play in the playoffs in my opinion but just can't seem to keep players happy. I don't think it's all Torts either. This was going on long before he took over the coaching.

All this and now Koivu decides to randomly retire after being a healthy scratch. I get he's 37 and declining big time but it's pretty random to me when I guy retires 24 hours after being benched.

If this keeps up I can see the franchise move if the opportunity were to come up.

Oh by the way to all the Brown haters:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

I too believe it's far more than Tortorella and it does go beyond him. He's old school, he demands accountability and I love how he doesn't give a shit what name is on the back of a jersey. I think part of the issue though is today's athlete is far more entitled than the guys he started coaching decades ago so I think he will need to adjust his abrasive style a little but but overall keep his philosophy.

I remember Gaborik was not overly thrilled being in Columbus either which landed him in LA and he was huge on that run and for a year or two after. There is just something about CBJ that irks players the wrong way and I think it has more to do with organizational philosophy than anything (notice no one on their roster makes more than $5.875 million?) although we keep hearing it's the city too.

I've only been there once as a kid so I couldn't tell you one way or another but it's a little alarming when this us a repeated pattern with higher end players. Hell, even Mathieu Schneider didn't want to sign there when he was take in the 2000 Expansion Draft and landed here a few months later as a UFA and produced well for the next 3 years overall.

1. Stealing my middle finger? Asshole.
2. Fuck that Brown guy.

=)~~

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laine is a 1 trick pony, might as well setup as if your on a pk if the puck isnt in the offensive zone

Dude is brutal in his own end. I guess you build a team around that, can't have 18 200 footers out there but this guy is either lazy or stupid in his own end. Add in the attitude and I don't want to see him here no matter how good of a sniper he is.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the word is he mouthed off to assistance coach Brad Larsen. Anyone remember this guy from the Lanche Kings playoff battles? Not only does he look like a dick he a played like one too, teetered the line a lot in an effective B6 role. Scrappy player.

Probably not a coach a star wants to get lippy with, you could get popped in the mouth. He's only 44 too, so it's not like he has been out of the game for decades and could probably still smack you.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too believe it's far more than Tortorella and it does go beyond him. He's old school, he demands accountability and I love how he doesn't give a shit what name is on the back of a jersey. I think part of the issue though is today's athlete is far more entitled than the guys he started coaching decades ago so I think he will need to adjust his abrasive style a little but but overall keep his philosophy.

I remember Gaborik was not overly thrilled being in Columbus either which landed him in LA and he was huge on that run and for a year or two after. There is just something about CBJ that irks players the wrong way and I think it has more to do with organizational philosophy than anything (notice no one on their roster makes more than $5.875 million?) although we keep hearing it's the city too.

I've only been there once as a kid so I couldn't tell you one way or another but it's a little alarming when this us a repeated pattern with higher end players. Hell, even Mathieu Schneider didn't want to sign there when he was take in the 2000 Expansion Draft and landed here a few months later as a UFA and produced well for the next 3 years overall.

1. Stealing my middle finger? Asshole.
2. Fuck that Brown guy.

=)~~

I also believe it's more management than coaching and/or city.

Bitch, please. I've been using that middle finger ascii since before the ESPN board. I can't remember if we were on the ESPN or Yahoo board 1st. Dude we were in our 20's then. Now we're pushing up on 50.

Anyway here's a few more for you:

╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮ (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐ ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮ t(-.-t)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torts is an "Old School" type of coach. He can get a lit out of his players and for 2 or 3 seasons his teams are fine. But around the 4th season, players start chaffing under his style and begin to tune him out/rebel. It's a mater of time before he gets fired, mainly because the players start bitching and moaning.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think la should grab galchenyuk hes cheap, 1y ufa....andersson, amadio....they could all use a wake up if la isnt going to "rush" anyone

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Found this article on my FB feed, and I will say, I get the negative sentiment towards Doughty around the league these days, and yes, on the surface, his contract does look terrible, but I feel it's a bit unfair. The look of his play & contract, are enhanced mainly because he's on a bad team right now. Look who has been his partner since Muzzin was traded. It also doesn't help that the defensive structure of the team has changed in that the Forwards are not required to position themselves closer to the defensive circles, and have been allowed to "float" closer to the blue line in hope that it generates more offensive attack.

I will say, that it is nice to see the Sharks have 2 players listed, Karlsson & Vlasic. Sharks are going to be in hell for a few more years, especially with the cap remaining flat for the next couple years...

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Found this article on my FB feed, and I will say, I get the negative sentiment towards Doughty around the league these days, and yes, on the surface, his contract does look terrible, but I feel it's a bit unfair. The look of his play & contract, are enhanced mainly because he's on a bad team right now. Look who has been his partner since Muzzin was traded. It also doesn't help that the defensive structure of the team has changed in that the Forwards are not required to position themselves closer to the defensive circles, and have been allowed to "float" closer to the blue line in hope that it generates more offensive attack.

I will say, that it is nice to see the Sharks have 2 players listed, Karlsson & Vlasic. Sharks are going to be in hell for a few more years, especially with the cap remaining flat for the next couple years...
I agree that being on a bad team doesnt help Doughty at all. I have just seen him make bad turnovers and bad passes more and more. Its been said on this board that he is trying to do too much and that could be the reason he is making bad plays.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look who has been his partner since Muzzin was traded.

Well....when you make 11m, its hard to afford good players everywhere or even anywhere. You hope to win when these guys are up and coming and then deal with it how you can once everyone is making to much