• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from Evan Grant and not me so don't shoot the messenger. lol

"What's left to decide: What's the best choice for a backup infielder? Move your starting third baseman around the diamond or choose from two guys (Forsythe or Danny Santana) who are not shortstops by nature. Neither are they first basemen, though Forsythe made 15 starts there in 2015. Forsythe probably gives you a little more trustworthy infield protection. Santana gives you a switch hitter with some speed who can also move to the outfield when necessary. And Santana is three years younger, which should be a consideration for a rebuilding team because he might still have an upside. You know what would be perfect? It might make some sense to check the end-of-spring waiver wire, too. Maybe Hanser Alberto will be placed on waivers for the fifth time since the end of last season and be available for a reunion."
Don't want to see Alberto in a Rangers uniform ever again.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think we should pay Choo's contract off after this year. He continues to get in the way of our younger guys re: Calhoun or continue to somehow trade him first?
I have thought that we should trade him at any cost for a couple of years. It is a sunk cost. I would have no problems with releasing him or benching him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of our prospects that I am hoping for big things from.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thought that we should trade him at any cost for a couple of years. It is a sunk cost. I would have no problems with releasing him or benching him.
Keeping him still cost $$ and what he gives in return is so little that why would we not want to release him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers top prospect unfazed by hype, long road to the majors, or refining his changeup

Hans Crouse sure can draw a crowd, at least relative what normally is found on the back fields of the Texas Rangers’ half of the Surprise Recreation Campus.

The Rangers’ top prospect was on the mound Wednesday afternoon, facing the Seattle Mariners’ Low A team and trying to refine a changeup the Rangers believe will make him an even better prospect.

Crouse allowed two runs in 2 2/3 innings before hitting his pitch count of 50. His top fastball was clocked at 97 mph, but the goal in this spring outing was to get his changeup velocity in the 86-88 mph range.

Well … ?

“I feel good with it,” Crouse said. “I threw a lot of good ones in the first inning out of the wind up and just got a little short on it out of the stretch.”

When the Rangers talk about their rebuild, they hope Crouse can develop into the top-of-the-rotation pitcher they haven’t been able to develop in the three decades since Kevin Brown broke into their rotation.

“I’m not going to hide from it,” Crouse said. “It’s a great thing to hear. It just shows some hard work that I’ve put in has paid off, but I’ve still got a long ways to go. I’ve still got a lot of levels to climb and a lot of pitches to make before I reach my goal of not only making it to the big leagues but sticking there for a long time.”

Crouse was hoping to start at High A Down East after he blitzed the shorts-season Northwest League and didn’t encounter much trouble after a promotion to Hickory in 2018. But he made only five starts there, covering 16 2/3 innings, and also dealt with some triceps inflammation late in the season.

The Rangers have a track record for bumping player a level if they have been dominant. Jonathan Hernandez, for example, quickly jumped last season from Down East to Double A Frisco.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But some wise words from pitching coordinator Jeff Andrews hit home with Crouse.

“It’s hard for any young guy to grasp who wants to compete, and I’m not the only guy here who feels like he can go get outs at a higher level,” he said. “But Jeff Andrews told me, ‘Your job is not to want to go pitch at a higher level. Your job is to go get outs at whatever level we tell you to get outs at.’ That resonated with me.

Hernandez is in a group of pitchers prospects that also includes left-handers Taylor Hearn, Joe Palumboand Brock Burke who should beat Crouse and other low-level pitchers such as righties Cole Winn, Owen White and Mason Englert and lefty Cole Ragans.

Hickory will have a couple of the Rangers’ top position-player prospects, shortstop Chris Seise and center fielder Julio Pablo Martinez, joining Crouse.

Seise missed all of last season with a shoulder injury, but has been healthy throughout camp. His playing time will be monitored early before gradually seeing his leash lengthened.

Martinez, the Cuban defector who was Plan B last off-season after missing out on Shohei Ohtani, spent his first season in the U.S. at Spokane and played in the Arizona Fall League before a leg injury shut him down early.

And the top prospect’s plans for Hickory?

“I’m going to go there and compete my butt off and see what happens,” Crouse said.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever since just before we drafted him, I have loved everything I have read about Hans Crouse, both from a talent standpoint and from a mental makeup/attitude standpoint. I don't think I have looked forward to a prospect arriving in the big leagues this much since Pudge was coming up through the ranks.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calhoun not having a starting position with the Rangers is an organizational failure. It should have happened at some point last year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope this is where the new manager show his worth.How to negotiate Willie Rakes disappointment is huge and a financial hit to boot

Having to send Calhoun down is the right thing given Choo in the lineup but Calhoun did everything needed but really not good for him or team to be 4th OF.

I do hope we move Choo but understand the rationale for outright release at this point.

Injuries do happen and I hope Willie Rakes gets a shot and never goes back down