• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like pitchers break down even more often than position players though.

We once went after the best pitcher available and came close to signing him, but we lost out to another team. Then we turned to the best position player available and signed him instead. It was a good thing we lucked out and didn't get who we wanted or we would have been saddled with Cliff Lee instead of Beltre.

I remember another time we went after the best pitcher available and came away with Chan Ho Park.

Now, when we went after the seventh or eighth best position player in Shin-Soo Choo, we did get burned.
You can buy pitching that don't cost that much with a protective contract for the owners. The names you re: were dumb contracts that could and should have been written to protect both parties. Trout is a good ball player just not that good.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can buy pitching that don't cost that much with a protective contract for the owners. The names you re: were dumb contracts that could and should have been written to protect both parties. Trout is a good ball player just not that good.
I wouldn't want to pay that much for Trout either. I just think, overall, paying big money for hitters is a better investment than spending big money for pitchers.

I agree with what JD said after we lost out on Cliff Lee. He said we have to grow our own ace.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want to pay that much for Trout either. I just think, overall, paying big money for hitters is a better investment than spending big money for pitchers.

I agree with what JD said after we lost out on Cliff Lee. He said we have to grow our own ace.

Does seem like the price of business is going up but it also costs more to the consumer who goes to the park. Baseball used to be the working man sport

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does seem like the price of business is going up but it also costs more to the consumer who goes to the park. Baseball used to be the working man sport
Don't forget the hot dogs. $37.20 without chili

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would thrill everyone. lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good outing for Lynn today. Five very good innings and then he gave up two runs without getting an out in the 6th.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodward sees potential for this Ranger to be ‘one of the top right-handed hitters’ in MLB

Throw out the prospects rankings. Manager Chris Woodward says that the Rangers will have a player in the minors to start the season who might be only a few seasons away from being one of the elite right-handed hitters in baseball.

Those were the words Woodward used in talking about Davidson only minutes after telling the corner infielder that he isn’t going to be on the Rangers’ Opening Day roster.

It isn’t fair, Woodward said, to ask a player going through a major swing overhaul to keep improving with limited at-bats. Davidson needs to play every day to continuing developing a swing that Woodward believes can make him an elite player.

Ray Davis better figure out a way to get his wallet unstuck from his pocket to pay Davidson.

“He’s close,” Woodward said. “He’s close, and I’ve told them this many times: He’s close to being very, very … I wouldn’t just say a good big-league hitter. He’s got ability that not a lot of guys have. He’s really dug into a lot of mechanical things, and he is really close to being an elite hitter.

“I’m really looking forward to see him get consistent at-bats and see what he can do with it. I look at him from a batting standpoint right now, and I think how close he is to being really really exceptional. So, I don’t think his future as a pitcher is as bright as his future as a hitter. From a hitting standpoint, I would not be surprised in three or four years if he’s one of the top right-handed hitters based on what I’m seeing on his ability and as committed as he is to working on things. He’s really open to becoming elite.”

It would be a remarkable turnaround for Davidson, who has shown an ability to hit for power in the majors but owns a .226 career average. He also turns 28 next week.

But the Rangers believe in their data and they believe in the guy, and they believe the guy believes in himself. The Rangers also believe in late bloomers, primarily because of Nelson Cruz.

A Davidson batting practice, Woodward said, is Gallo-esque. Cruz takes an impressive BP.

It’s elite power. After Cruz didn’t make the team in 2008 and cleared waivers, he changed his swing at Triple A Oklahoma City and became the Babe Ruth of Triple A. He could also hit a little.

Maybe that’s what Davidson will find this season in Nashville.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodward sees potential for this Ranger to be ‘one of the top right-handed hitters’ in MLB

Granite continues to make the most of his playing time, and club brass has taken notice in the two weeks since acquiring him in a trade with the Minnesota Twins.

The speedy outfielder collected two singles against the Brewers, pushing his average with the Rangers to .353, and two steals, giving him four. He last played Sunday, turning what looked like a single into a double and quickly scoring a run.

He made a diving catch after replacing Delino DeShields in center field.

The hustle, instincts and competitiveness have impressed Woodward. Granite, who is on the 40-man roster, is also still in spring camp and hasn’t been told if he’s going to Nashville.

He probably is, considering what was mentioned earlier in the Surprise Five, but don’t be surprised to see him with the Rangers at some point if DeShields needs time on the injured list.

Carlos Tocci would be another option, but Granite is his equal defensively, faster and just seems like a better player at this point.

“He’s been good,” Woodward said. “He’s a good ballplayer."

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Granite continues to make the most of his playing time, and club brass has taken notice in the two weeks since acquiring him in a trade with the Minnesota Twins.

The speedy outfielder collected two singles against the Brewers, pushing his average with the Rangers to .353, and two steals, giving him four. He last played Sunday, turning what looked like a single into a double and quickly scoring a run.

He made a diving catch after replacing Delino DeShields in center field.

The hustle, instincts and competitiveness have impressed Woodward. Granite, who is on the 40-man roster, is also still in spring camp and hasn’t been told if he’s going to Nashville.

He probably is, considering what was mentioned earlier in the Surprise Five, but don’t be surprised to see him with the Rangers at some point if DeShields needs time on the injured list.

Carlos Tocci would be another option, but Granite is his equal defensively, faster and just seems like a better player at this point.

“He’s been good,” Woodward said. “He’s a good ballplayer."

Granite looked pretty good defensively. Great speed and made some shoe string catches on some sinking liners. Santana has had a good spring. Good athlete did well in game I saw with the FB but fooled by the curve.

Davidson has some pop in his bat much like Rua.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice commentary on how the draft pick went down however omitting the late year winning streak by the Rangers which was a definite factor

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice commentary on how the draft pick went down however omitting the late year winning streak by the Rangers which was a definite factor
Wash couldn't even quit at the right time.