• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping and think you are correct but if they don't get some solid results JD may end up as president only. They were one strike away but not due to pitching development.

But the thing I think is different is the new guys hired are into the updated analytics from the cutting edge teams.

So yes I am optimistic about some of our pitching prospects on the way
This is a little backwards for us, but I do give them credit for developing CJ, Derek, Feliz, and Harrison even though we didn't draft the last two. Also, Ogando from that timeperiod.

Since then, bot so much.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember them saying Banny was hired because he was really into analytics.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a little backwards for us, but I do give them credit for developing CJ, Derek, Feliz, and Harrison even though we didn't draft the last two. Also, Ogando from that timeperiod.

Since then, bot so much.

Feliz and Harrison were Braves products. Sorry. They were already highly touted and mainly developed when we got them.

CJ and Holland aren’t much to write home about. Ogando was pretty good until the injuries hit.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz and Harrison were Braves products. Sorry. They were already highly touted and mainly developed when we got them.

CJ and Holland aren’t much to write home about. Ogando was pretty good until the injuries hit.
We don't sniff the playoffs in 2010 and 2011 without CJ in 2010 and Derek in 2011.

Derek was hit with injuries like Ogando. That performance in the 2011 WS shows he was developed into a very good pitcher, especially when his regular season performance that year is also taken into account.

Feliz never pitched above the Rookie league level while with the Braves, so almost all of his development was with the Rangers. Harrison pitched to about the same level for the Braves as Luke Jackson did here while still looking like a prospect. I think we can take the same amount of credit for him as we are due the amount of angst in not finishing Jackson's development. Matt pitched some in both AA and AAA for us. I think we deserve partial credit for him and just about full credit for Feliz.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't sniff the playoffs in 2010 and 2011 without CJ in 2010 and Derek in 2011.

Derek was hit with injuries like Ogando. That performance in the 2011 WS shows he was developed into a very good pitcher, especially when his regular season performance that year is also taken into account.

Feliz never pitched above the Rookie league level while with the Braves, so almost all of his development was with the Rangers. Harrison pitched to about the same level for the Braves as Luke Jackson did here while still looking like a prospect. I think we can take the same amount of credit for him as we are due the amount of angst in not finishing Jackson's development. Matt pitched some in both AA and AAA for us. I think we deserve partial credit for him and just about full credit for Feliz.

I’m just looking at the big picture.

CJ is the only pitcher ever to lose a regular season game, the all star game, a game in the playoffs, and a game in the World Series. All in the same year. Most ranger fans don’t view him favorably.

Holland is a different story. Goofy nice guy with the dorky impressions, but he has been downright awful for the last few years.

I strongly disagree about feliz and Harrison. Their is a big reason they were included in the teixera trade. They were already pretty damn good and didn’t need much development.

The point is, We haven’t really been able to demonstrate to ourselves or the rest of the league that we can draft and develop a very good pitcher who has been able to achieve and sustain long term major league success.

The only pitcher that comes to mind in recent memory is colby Lewis and before that? Kenny Rogers.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since then, bot so much.

It is ok to be backwards... IMO the Rangers years ago were cutting edge breaking into the Latin American market but rule changes and caps came into play an other teams caught up... currently the Rangers are finally catching up in utilizing analytics and here is hoping there will be a payoff re development with our new pitching prospects.

Currently there is an interesting partnership with team in Japan that may be of mutual benefit.

Everyone needs to be growing Front office included or you will be passed by

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m just looking at the big picture.

CJ is the only pitcher ever to lose a regular season game, the all star game, a game in the playoffs, and a game in the World Series. All in the same year. Most ranger fans don’t view him favorably.

Holland is a different story. Goofy nice guy with the dorky impressions, but he has been downright awful for the last few years.

I strongly disagree about feliz and Harrison. Their is a big reason they were included in the teixera trade. They were already pretty damn good and didn’t need much development.

The point is, We haven’t really been able to demonstrate to ourselves or the rest of the league that we can draft and develop a very good pitcher who has been able to achieve and sustain long term major league success.

The only pitcher that comes to mind in recent memory is colby Lewis and before that? Kenny Rogers.
Colby didn't get that good until he got to Japan.

I think you are letting CJ's personality and Derek's goofiness cloud your vision. They were organizational successes.

If a pitcher is already developed by the Rookie level and if their performance is evidence of that, then we should go ahead and bring all of our lower level guys up now. lol. Feliz was nowhere near developed when we got him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Derek wasn't awful last year at all.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny about CJ and Ogando and even Feliz. CJ paved the way for the conversion of relievers to starters. (In MLB). I really did not have aproblem with it. However it sure seems the WS blown save messed with Feliz head and Ogandos overuse IMO was a big factor in loss. If we had Ogando at his best state WS we may be flying a flag

Also Maybe sour grapes. But giving ST Louis extra day was a definite rip off.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Derek wasn't awful last year at all.

He is recreating himself plus heard he tweaked his delivery and spot on the rubber.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny about CJ and Ogando and even Feliz. CJ paved the way for the conversion of relievers to starters. (In MLB). I really did not have aproblem with it. However it sure seems the WS blown save messed with Feliz head and Ogandos overuse IMO was a big factor in loss. If we had Ogando at his best state WS we may be flying a flag

I will always wonder what kind of starter Feliz would have made had we allowed him to stay in AAA instead of bringing him up for the pen.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always wonder what kind of starter Feliz would have made had we allowed him to stay in AAA instead of bringing him up for the pen.

I know you think that ---thus the parentheses. I spent a lot of time watching him warm up in the pen at the park up close. Sat in CF a lot. I worried about the amount of torque he utilized. Did not watch him as much in minors but it seems he was mainly a FB Slider pitcher. Both being plus offerings

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not going to lie, seeing Chris Carpenter’s ugly face 3 times over a 7 game series pissed me off.

How often does an ace pitch 3x in a series?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Crawler is back and on Que.:D

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you think that ---thus the parentheses. I spent a lot of time watching him warm up in the pen at the park up close. Sat in CF a lot. I worried about the amount of torque he utilized. Did not watch him as much in minors but it seems he was mainly a FB Slider pitcher. Both being plus offerings
Exactly. He should have been left at AAA to learn to throw a change to go with the other two pitches. Glad to see they are telling Crouse to develop 3 pitches right now. Like Robbie Ross, he was good enough for a major league pen, but not seasoned enough to be ready to start. Although, he did have success in the rotation until he got hurt.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. He should have been left at AAA to learn to throw a change to go with the other two pitches. Glad to see they are telling Crouse to develop 3 pitches right now. Like Robbie Ross, he was good enough for a major league pen, but not seasoned enough to be ready to start. Although, he did have success in the rotation until he got hurt.
Seems we have had more than our share of pitcher injuries. Surly other teams don't go through what we have experienced.:L

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More posting and action. Help keeping board alive. re: Chris Carpenter was one I had forgotten about.

I’d say you’re the lucky one then....

Should’ve been Kyle lohse or whoever else larussa could find starting that damn game.