• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was not wise to have that many guys in the rotation who need pampering with limited pitch counts. We already had Volquez. There were plenty of other fish in the sea and we could have easily signed a fully healthy pitcher to get us through this season. I don't understand why they couldn't have figured that out several months ago.
Seems like that is all the Rangers have been trying to sign the last several years. They definitely need to try to sign someone not coming off an injury.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on the low rent pitching is they hope to move on one or two of the expiring contracts at the break if they excel.

Re Lynn they got at a reasonable rate to provide stability going into the new stadium. He will eat innings and despite poor numbers with the Twins he did better with the Yanks overall in a hitters ballpark.

Really don't think our pitching prospects will be blocked and this year is still about building a contender

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like that is all the Rangers have been trying to sign the last several years. They definitely need to try to sign someone not coming off an injury.

Why waste good money on pitching when they are a long shot to contend. Hopefully next year that can change

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why waste good money on pitching when they are a long shot to contend. Hopefully next year that can change
Pitchers not coming off of Tommy John don't have to be expensive.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was not wise to have that many guys in the rotation who need pampering with limited pitch counts. We already had Volquez. There were plenty of other fish in the sea and we could have easily signed a fully healthy pitcher to get us through this season. I don't understand why they couldn't have figured that out several months ago.

Who really cares this year... just taking a gamble in a year we are not expected to contend. Lynn is healthy but you don't like him so maybe that is a factor as well. I really don't care other than trying to protect our young pitching. Bigger issue is player development IMO

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitchers not coming off of Tommy John don't have to be expensive.

What specifically do you disagree with..Smyly for the Hamels offset, Miller for $2 million

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who really cares this year... just taking a gamble in a year we are not expected to contend. Lynn is healthy but you don't like him so maybe that is a factor as well. I really don't care other than trying to protect our young pitching. Bigger issue is player development IMO
I care about overworking our pen. Kind of like how we overworked Claudio and others in years past.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated that earlier. We have too many in our rotation that need pampering.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I care about overworking our pen. Kind of like how we overworked Claudio and others in years past.

Do we not have better options for backup starting pitching if any of our TJ retreads can't make quality starts? If that happens I bet they are sent down and a guy like Sampson or Hamel gets starts. Then we have prospects who may be ready at the break.

But yes let's hope we don't burn our pen but I am not sweating it this year

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’d like to add preferably not a pitcher with NL ties.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d like to add preferably not a pitcher with NL ties.

I am not opposed to an NL pitcher as long as we understand there aren't much in the way of expectations. I just would rather not have all guys coming off recent arm injuries. A guy like Gio Gonzalez probably eats innings at a reasonable price for a 1-2 year deal.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you don't build a good and healthy pitching staff in one off season. You need to add a piece each year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we not have better options for backup starting pitching if any of our TJ retreads can't make quality starts? If that happens I bet they are sent down and a guy like Sampson or Hamel gets starts. Then we have prospects who may be ready at the break.

But yes let's hope we don't burn our pen but I am not sweating it this year
With pitch count limitations of 90 or so, they are going to tax the bullpen even if they do pitch decently. The damage from overusing a bullpen shows up in the future and not necessarily in the year they are being overused.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With pitch count limitations of 90 or so, they are going to tax the bullpen even if they do pitch decently. The damage from overusing a bullpen shows up in the future and not necessarily in the year they are being overused.

Puhleeeze..... yes we damaged Ogando and perhaps some of past closers. But the game has gone to a bullpen game which makes new rule interesting. This is affecting all teams

Even Nolan was a bit perturbed on the babying of pitchers... I buy into the overuse of pitchers in HS....is there not one thing you are not sour on in this regime? Once again we have Hamel, Sampson and next tier of SP prospects to come in if our TJ retreads can't get it done.

You can't have it both ways - hating Lynn for blocking young guys and complaining that our pen is going to be burned because of overuse because no one to eat innings.......chuckle...

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Gallo might miss opening day with a groin injury. Didn't know he was hurt.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puhleeeze..... yes we damaged Ogando and perhaps some of past closers. But the game has gone to a bullpen game which makes new rule interesting. This is affecting all teams

Even Nolan was a bit perturbed on the babying of pitchers... I buy into the overuse of pitchers in HS....is there not one thing you are not sour on in this regime? Once again we have Hamel, Sampson and next tier of SP prospects to come in if our TJ retreads can't get it done.

You can't have it both ways - hating Lynn for blocking young guys and complaining that our pen is going to be burned because of overuse because no one to eat innings.......chuckle...
Chuckle all you want. There isn't much use discussing this any further, because when you hear I have something against management you automatically refuse to pay attentions to the details. You only hear, "I hate management" and then the ability to discuss ceases.

For those who do care, there is a difference in guys who are limited to 90 pitches a game and the way most starting pitchers are handled. That is why there was an article earlier stating the difference in how Minor will be handled this year. Last year he was pampered and this year he will be free to pitch longer into the game. It is one thing when one guy is like that, but completely different when you have three. Now, the necessity to pamper everyone coming back from Tommy John is a legitimate discussion in itself, I think. Whether that is necessary or not cam be debated, but nevertheless, this team is choosing to pamper those guys, and I think that should have been factored in when they filled out this year's rotation.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuckle all you want. There isn't much use discussing this any further, because when you hear I have something against management you automatically refuse to pay attentions to the details. You only hear, "I hate management" and then the ability to discuss ceases.

For those who do care, there is a difference in guys who are limited to 90 pitches a game and the way most starting pitchers are handled. That is why there was an article earlier stating the difference in how Minor will be handled this year. Last year he was pampered and this year he will be free to pitch longer into the game. It is one thing when one guy is like that, but completely different when you have three. Now, the necessity to pamper everyone coming back from Tommy John is a legitimate discussion in itself, I think. Whether that is necessary or not cam be debated, but nevertheless, this team is choosing to pamper those guys, and I think that should have been factored in when they filled out this year's rotation.

Time will tell if our pen is burnt and Miller is the only one I have read who is on a limited pitch count. I do think one of the reasons we are not going the opener route is so we can have guys pitch multiple innings as a hedge. My guess is Hamel gets regular work.

To me the biggest beef with management is pitcher development. For example, Marteen has become the darling with the Twins due to some tweaks. We shall see how that plays out. But regardless the outcomes have not favored us.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3