• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Pirates

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep after that Reds deal they have to willing to spend a little to shore this team up. Their middle IF is dreadful right now with "hoping" on prospects.
I'm still holding out hope for Tulo as well if he really did look as good as he did at his showing. Certainly far from a sure thing but that is the type of risks this team needs to make right now, especially after digging this hole.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Remaining Needs: NL Central

1. Add to the rotation. I sort of agree with this since I think Lyles is not a good backup plan, but not sure this is top priority.
2. Find a SS. Not sure Tulo can play SS anymore and Lowrie is a 2B so either would fill that spot so I think their internal options of glove first/bat second is the way we are trending.
3. Assemble more depth on the Bench. Honestly I thought that's why they brought it Chisenhall and have Frazier. Really if the upgraded some of their starters the bench would be good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Remaining Needs: NL Central

1. Add to the rotation. I sort of agree with this since I think Lyles is not a good backup plan, but not sure this is top priority.
2. Find a SS. Not sure Tulo can play SS anymore and Lowrie is a 2B so either would fill that spot so I think their internal options of glove first/bat second is the way we are trending.
3. Assemble more depth on the Bench. Honestly I thought that's why they brought it Chisenhall and have Frazier. Really if the upgraded some of their starters the bench would be good.

There are two possible ways to approach this in my opinion: add to the pitching staff to make it dominant, or add to the offense to bring it up a bit above average. The team was average overall in every facet last season--any upgrade anywhere will make them playoff contenders. But their pitching has a higher floor and a higher ceiling than their lineup going into next season, and Mercer was probably the biggest loss for the team at any spot, which leaves the lineup behind the staff right now.

I think adding a lefty to the rotation would be a great move. I'd love to sign Keuchel, but that seems unlikely. Gio Gonzalez and Derek Holland are also interesting targets who would be much less expensive, but are decent bets to provide middle-of-the-rotation value. Signing Wade Miley to never let go past five innings and piggybacking Lyles or Kingham with him would be a creative upgrade. Drew Pomeranz would be a very interesting reclamation project with a high ceiling. 2017 was his second-straight 3+ WAR season before falling off a cliff last year, and his curveball is dirty when it's on. Looks like he lost his command last year, with a huge spike in BB% and a small dip in K%. Might be a simple adjustment to get him back to a mid-3s ERA starter with strikeout stuff.

The more I think about it, the better a fit I think Asdrubal Cabrera would be. SS defense is less and less valuable with the launch angle revolution, and his own power might play up at PNC Park and in the NL Central in general. If Newman finds his game, he's also a roughly average defender at 2B and 3B and could fill in at either spot. Jose Iglesias would be an upgrade over what Mercer was at short last season, both offensively and defensively, too, and could be had at a reasonable price. And I'd seriously consider signing both if possible.

Based on the Kinsler and Descalso contracts, I'd expect Cabrera to get something like 2 years and $16-20 million. Based on the Eduardo Escobar contract, I think Iglesias will get something like 3 years and $21-24 million. Gonzalez and Holland will likely receive contracts in the range of 3 years, $36-45 million based on the Morton, Happ, Sanchez, Lynn, and Eovaldi contracts. And I'd actually expect each to get the lower end of that price, and a possibility at only requiring two years. At most, signing all three would cost $37 million in payroll, but it's possible they could all be had for as little as $19 million. That whole range is doable and would make the team considerably better, maybe upwards of 6-8 wins better.

I think the bullpen is set now. I like the Lyons signing, and think at least one of he and Brault will emerge as a good second lefty. Vazquez, Kela, Crick, and Rodriguez are as good a back four as anyone has. Burdi and Feliz are high right but high ceiling options. Kingham and Lyles are solid long-man options. And there are plenty of prospects who could emerge to stabilize it, as well. Though I'd seriously consider Jake Diekman, and noted former Buccos Oliver Perez, Zach Duke, or Justin Wilson on one- or two-year deals for not more than $5 million a year to round it out.

With any improvement from Bell and Moran/Kang at the dish, these upgrades would make the Pirates serious contenders for the division, even with the moves the Cardinals have made and how good the Cubs and Brewers already were. (The Reds have been splashy, but they still don't have a pitching staff, so I'm not worried about them.) They were an average team last year. These additions, the Archer and Kela gets from last year, and any steps forward from young talent would make this a 90-95 win team at least, I think.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowrie to the Mets, 2 years, $20 million.

This and Dozier set the 2B market. I think Cabrera will get 2/15, and I hope it's from the Pirates. He'd add some much-needed power to the lineup, and free up Frazier to either try to earn a job defensively at SS or to be the super-sub. Heck, SS defense matters less in this fly-ball era of baseball, just stick Asdrubal there.

Last edited:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowrie to the Mets, 2 years, $20 million.

This and Dozier set the 2B market. I think Cabrera will get 2/15, and I hope it's from the Pirates. He'd add some much-needed power to the lineup, and free up Frazier to either try to earn a job defensively at SS or to be the super-sub. Heck, SS defense matters less in this fly-ball era of baseball, just stick Asdrubal there.

Yankees To Sign DJ LeMahieu

It screams loud now for Cabrera. Lemahieu I wasn't as big a fan since his bat really doesn't have value outside Colorado but could have filled a useful role.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year, $3.5 million, Asdrubal Cabrera to the Rangers.

He got half the years and half the dollars I expected. How the Pirates weren't on him at that price is beyond me, given their need for infielders and bats.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year, $3.5 million, Asdrubal Cabrera to the Rangers.

He got half the years and half the dollars I expected. How the Pirates weren't on him at that price is beyond me, given their need for infielders and bats.
Yeah I don't get the lack of offer to him with what is left he was probably the best fit.
Now I wonder if they try for Marwin Gonzalez? Not much of a steady position player but he was mainly a MI and the best bat from what is left. Yeah I know Machado but we know that isn't happening.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't get the lack of offer to him with what is left he was probably the best fit.
Now I wonder if they try for Marwin Gonzalez? Not much of a steady position player but he was mainly a MI and the best bat from what is left. Yeah I know Machado but we know that isn't happening.

Marwin is going to draw interest from everybody because he can play everywhere and play everywhere well, and his bat is better than anyone else who does that. Then again, Lowrie only got 2/20, so...

I mean, he's a more versatile and better defensive version of Cabrera, basically, so he's going to get more than 1/3.5 for sure.

I still like Iglesias, but they should also upgrade the pitching staff if they go that route, and just sell out on run prevention.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My perfect offseason from now would be Machado, Miley or Gio Gonzalez, and Justin Wilson.

My second favorite would be selling out on defense and getting Keuchel, Iglesias, and Wilson.

I think a perfectly reasonable and competitive conclusion would be Iglesias, Miley or Gonzalez, and Wilson.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got more depressed, I just saw Ken Rosenthal's top 10 of remaining free agents and Josh Harrison was number 7 :S

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Wilson to the Mets. Dang it.

Okay, how about Tony Sipp or Jake Diekman for the 'pen? Though, I might be inclined to just let Lyons and Brault battle for that spot at this point.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nova would have given the Pirates just as much in 2019 as Gio Gonzalez or Miley would, IMO.

Nutting at least has his financial flexibility, aka extra profit margin.

So there's that.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really excited to make my first trip to PNC Park in July. Got tickets for the July 3-4 games.:suds:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^PNC is great let’s hope the product is up to par. They do a great job with the experience outside the park also.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates with two more "Pirate type" signings.

1. Vicente Campos
2. Brandon Maurer

With the hope one sticks....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maurer has real upside. Campos does, too, buy Maurer's got a decent chance to actually realize it.