• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quot chf... as to De as #1 ...ok but then they would have to platoon at safty

Good point..unfortunatly..they don't have enough high draft picks

To git the good de,s..which will go in the top of the first round...and the rest of the first round

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... I was one that didn't mind the pick at the time but he's definitely not starting material in the NFL imo... He did "OK" last year but that's comparing him to his standards... He's one of the worst pass blockers I've ever seen at a tackle position...

At least I'm not alone in this assessment. It also doesn't help that he's one of the most flagged players in the NFL.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... I was one that didn't mind the pick at the time but he's definitely not starting material in the NFL imo... He did "OK" last year but that's comparing him to his standards... He's one of the worst pass blockers I've ever seen at a tackle position...

At least I'm not alone in this assessment. It also doesn't help that he's one of the most flagged players in the NFL.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seahawks do need depth at DT.

I've been a really big fan of Poona Ford since he was a UDFA. Had he been 2 inches taller I genuinely believe he would've been a 2-4th round pick. Additionally I believe he played really well in the regular season.

I'd be quite comfortable with Ford and Reed starting inside, but the Seahawks really like to rotate their defensive line and I wouldn't be surprised if that's a position they target in the draft.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wr,s in draft
Dk Metcalf and Paris Campbell will prob be gone

I'm looking at miles Boykin and darris slayton

Good to see you find your way to the Hawks forum. I'm kind of up in the air about how the Seahawks will attack this year's draft.

If I had to rank the needs of the team I'd put it like this:

1. Secondary: Hawks seem to really like guys they've got out there, but I really see room for improvement here. Shaquill Griffin had a down year. I'd say that Tre Flowers had a mediocre year, but part of that can be excused by making the transition to a new position. Tedric Thompson didn't play well, but is also young. McDougald played extremely well until he started being hampered by injuries. Additionally we lost our nickel CB (Justin Coleman). I know these guys are young, but I'd like to see an improvement here.

2. Edge Rusher: Frank Clark and Jarran Reed were the only two guys on the team who had more than 3 sacks. They may shy away from attacking this position in the draft after drafting a pretty raw Rasheem Green in the 2018 draft, but adding another pass rusher would be extremely beneficial to the defense.

3. Wide Receiver: Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett are both excellent players, but we don't have much after those two unless you're high on David Moore. Even if you like David Moore a lot, we don't really have much after that.

4. Defensive Tackle depth: I'm biased because I really like Poona Ford and think he's a capable starter, but with how much the Seahawks rotate their players, it would be wise to add another guy here.

5. Tight End depth: I love Will Dissly and he really impressed in his limited time, but he suffered an awful injury and it's up in the air how well he will recover. I understand that the team is looking for more blocking oriented TEs, but nobody on the roster really possess a threat in the passing game. Even if Dissly were to come back 100%, the Seahawks really lack a strong pass catcher here.

I'd say those are the 5 positions the Seahawks should/will target going forward. Although I'm likely the biggest Germain Ifedi critic on this board, I'm unsure they'll be looking at RTs. Despite his inadequacy, the Seahawks seem to have faith in him. QB, HB, C, LT, LB all seem to be pretty set for the next year or two at least.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you find your way to the Hawks forum. I'm kind of up in the air about how the Seahawks will attack this year's draft.

If I had to rank the needs of the team I'd put it like this:

1. Secondary: Hawks seem to really like guys they've got out there, but I really see room for improvement here. Shaquill Griffin had a down year. I'd say that Tre Flowers had a mediocre year, but part of that can be excused by making the transition to a new position. Tedric Thompson didn't play well, but is also young. McDougald played extremely well until he started being hampered by injuries. Additionally we lost our nickel CB (Justin Coleman). I know these guys are young, but I'd like to see an improvement here.

2. Edge Rusher: Frank Clark and Jarran Reed were the only two guys on the team who had more than 3 sacks. They may shy away from attacking this position in the draft after drafting a pretty raw Rasheem Green in the 2018 draft, but adding another pass rusher would be extremely beneficial to the defense.

3. Wide Receiver: Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett are both excellent players, but we don't have much after those two unless you're high on David Moore. Even if you like David Moore a lot, we don't really have much after that.

4. Defensive Tackle depth: I'm biased because I really like Poona Ford and think he's a capable starter, but with how much the Seahawks rotate their players, it would be wise to add another guy here.

5. Tight End depth: I love Will Dissly and he really impressed in his limited time, but he suffered an awful injury and it's up in the air how well he will recover. I understand that the team is looking for more blocking oriented TEs, but nobody on the roster really possess a threat in the passing game. Even if Dissly were to come back 100%, the Seahawks really lack a strong pass catcher here.

I'd say those are the 5 positions the Seahawks should/will target going forward. Although I'm likely the biggest Germain Ifedi critic on this board, I'm unsure they'll be looking at RTs. Despite his inadequacy, the Seahawks seem to have faith in him. QB, HB, C, LT, LB all seem to be pretty set for the next year or two at least.

Hmm... respect your opinion 234, but IMO the order should be:

Defensive Tackle
EDGE Rusher (we haven't even resigned Clark yet to a long term deal)
Tight End
WR
Secondary

I'm okay with our secondary situation. What I'm not okay with is fielding a bottom 5 rushing defense. While WR is a need, Baldwin should be healthy next year, and Lockett progressed heavily as a WR. I was pretty please with our secondary considering we had a terrible rush defense and Wright (a known coverage strength LBer) was injured, but SHOULD be healthy this year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm... respect your opinion 234, but IMO the order should be:

Defensive Tackle
EDGE Rusher (we haven't even resigned Clark yet to a long term deal)
Tight End
WR
Secondary

I'm okay with our secondary situation. What I'm not okay with is fielding a bottom 5 rushing defense. While WR is a need, Baldwin should be healthy next year, and Lockett progressed heavily as a WR. I was pretty please with our secondary considering we had a terrible rush defense and Wright (a known coverage strength LBer) was injured, but SHOULD be healthy this year.

I wouldn't be concerned about re-signing Frank Clark. The rumors that he'd sit out camp I believe are bullshit and it's just his agent trying to get him signed to a long-term deal.

Regarding defensive tackle, I believe that Poona Ford played excellent in his limited time. He isn't much of a pass rushing threat, but he was excellent against the run in his limited snaps. Seahawks could really use a guy who could slide inside on pass rushing downs, but I see Poona Ford as an excellent 2-down player. That being said, I can definitely see your desire to have a better pass rushing defensive tackle.

Regarding the secondary, we'll have to agree to disagree. We got absolutely shredded through the air. The only competent player was Bradley McDougald. I can understand holding off on drafting replacements because Thompson, Griffin, and Tre Flowers are all young, but the secondary didn't play well.

I think we're on the same page regarding the needs for the Hawks. I think we just ordered them differently.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be concerned about re-signing Frank Clark. The rumors that he'd sit out camp I believe are bullshit and it's just his agent trying to get him signed to a long-term deal.

Regarding defensive tackle, I believe that Poona Ford played excellent in his limited time. He isn't much of a pass rushing threat, but he was excellent against the run in his limited snaps. Seahawks could really use a guy who could slide inside on pass rushing downs, but I see Poona Ford as an excellent 2-down player. That being said, I can definitely see your desire to have a better pass rushing defensive tackle.

Regarding the secondary, we'll have to agree to disagree. We got absolutely shredded through the air. The only competent player was Bradley McDougald. I can understand holding off on drafting replacements because Thompson, Griffin, and Tre Flowers are all young, but the secondary didn't play well.

I think we're on the same page regarding the needs for the Hawks. I think we just ordered them differently.

As always 234, you put up some compelling points. That said, I'm willing to see if our secondary can improve this year as a # of those guys were starting for their first time or didn't have a Chancellor/Thomas (or even Sherman) support factor. I agree we got shredded on multiple occasions, but our DL was nowhere near what it was when Thomas/KC/RS were part of the team either.

End of day, seems we both agree defensive help is needed. This draft is heavily weighted towards defense...

All aside, question for you... what do you think of Hockenson (Iowa TE)? You mentioned a backup/depth TE... do we think we draft him with our first rounder? Hockenson has the kind of athleticism the Hawks look for (so does his teammate but he's a worse blocker) and it seems the Hawks have been trying to find a TE for some time. We traded for Graham, drafted Dissly, drafted Vannett, and signed Dickson.... I wouldn't mind giving Wilson another TE wep, but we also need D help so badly (to both our points).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am satisfied with free agency up to now. The big money deals in the first wave usually work out better for the players than the teams, so I am glad we didn't make any of those splashy moves. Instead, we were prudent and went more for substance/value over big headlines. You cannot buy a championship team in a single off-season in the salary cap era, and I think the teams that unloaded the diva WRs will be happier about their choice than the teams they traded them to. This is a QB league, not a WR league.

I may have preferred Sweezy returning over Iupati coming on board, but that's a fairly minor beef.

Also hoping something above a tag can be worked with Frank Clark, but the team holds most of the cards in that one.

I guess ET is a loss, but it was 100% expected and we had been w/o him since game 4 of 2018 anyway.

I don't know how the Kendricks legal stuff is going to play out, but signing both him and KJ give me confidence we will have at least 1 really good player there more often than we won't in 2019.

Could be looking at 4 or 5 Pro Bowl level players on defense at a minimum with Frank Clark, Jarran Reed, Bobby, KJ, Bradley McDougald, and maybe Kendricks. I'm optimistic about the young DBs, and I don't think Shaquill Griffin was nearly as bad as some are giving him credit for.

I don't know if Jason Myers will have as good of a 2019 as was his 2018, but he should be at least a slight improvement over Janikowski, who was also an improvement over Walsh.

I'm confident the O has not lost a single thing and has a great chance to continue building on what ended up being a very good showing in 2018. Fingers crossed for a full recovery by Dissly. And for Baldwin being more healthy next season. I think we are fine by not doing much at all to WR. This team's identity is physical running and RW's unique playmaking ability, not big money or 1st round receivers. I would rather bring Kearse back than blow a top pick on a WR that will probably not do much at all until 2020 at the earliest.

Feeling good about where things are headed. If you go by the Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees scale, Russell is just getting into his prime years and could be at the top of his game for most of the next decade. We got over the hump with the OL, got the ground game back on top, and we now also have a defense that is young and hungry once again. With a couple breaks, 2019 could be a really good year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fluker resigned. I do like that. He was pretty weak in the pass blocking department, but he put up a solid season with run blocking. Only $1M guaranteed and 2 years/$6M. He may be a training camp casualty, but there's hardly any risk for Seattle and does give us depth if we shift Ifedi to RG or start Iupati. Iupati is IMO the better player but he's an injury concern.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always 234, you put up some compelling points. That said, I'm willing to see if our secondary can improve this year as a # of those guys were starting for their first time or didn't have a Chancellor/Thomas (or even Sherman) support factor. I agree we got shredded on multiple occasions, but our DL was nowhere near what it was when Thomas/KC/RS were part of the team either.

End of day, seems we both agree defensive help is needed. This draft is heavily weighted towards defense...

All aside, question for you... what do you think of Hockenson (Iowa TE)? You mentioned a backup/depth TE... do we think we draft him with our first rounder? Hockenson has the kind of athleticism the Hawks look for (so does his teammate but he's a worse blocker) and it seems the Hawks have been trying to find a TE for some time. We traded for Graham, drafted Dissly, drafted Vannett, and signed Dickson.... I wouldn't mind giving Wilson another TE wep, but we also need D help so badly (to both our points).

I appreciate that. It's even more flattering considering I wrote that while I was in the process of getting drunk before going out to the bars.

I'll concede that my criticism of the secondary is completely due to on the field performance and I didn't take into consideration that Flowers is learning a new position, this is Tedric Thompson's first year starting and Shaq Griffin was just completing his sophomore year.

There's a lot of really good defensive line talent that the Seahawks will likely take a heavy look at. As much as I'm happy with having Poona Ford being the starter, the Seahawks could really use a rotational pass rusher to sub in on passing downs.

I'm a huge fan of both the Iowa TEs T.J. Hockenson and Noah Fant. I honestly see them both as Pro-Bowl caliber players. Hockenson is a much more well rounded player than Noah Fant as you mentioned. Hockenson blocks very well and catches the ball extremely well. Noah Fant blows me away with his athleticism and ability to get open and run after the catch. When you watch Noah Fant run routes it would be easy to mistake him for a WR.

Now regarding drafting Hockenson, I'm not sure for two reasons. (1) I believe there is a very strong possibility that he is off the board before we pick. I see him as one of the better TE prospects to come out in a while. Some of the TEs who have been selected in the upper end of the 1st round generally blow you away with their upside and pass catching ability, but Hockenson projects as a great receiving TE and possesses a better blocking ability than many of the 1st round TEs we've seen in recent years. (2) Even if he is still on the board, the Seahawks desperately need to trade down.

If the Seahawks were to select a TE in the earlier rounds, it could more likely be Noah Fant if the Seahawks were to trade down and he were to fall to us. That being said, he doesn't necessarily fit the profile of what the Seahawks are looking for at TE. I felt as if the Seahawks struggled to properly utilize Jimmy Graham, and in the current iteration of the offense that the Seahawks are running didn't rely on TEs playing a substantial role in the passing game.

Kind of a long response, but those are my thoughts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am satisfied with free agency up to now. The big money deals in the first wave usually work out better for the players than the teams, so I am glad we didn't make any of those splashy moves. Instead, we were prudent and went more for substance/value over big headlines. You cannot buy a championship team in a single off-season in the salary cap era, and I think the teams that unloaded the diva WRs will be happier about their choice than the teams they traded them to. This is a QB league, not a WR league.

I may have preferred Sweezy returning over Iupati coming on board, but that's a fairly minor beef.

Also hoping something above a tag can be worked with Frank Clark, but the team holds most of the cards in that one.

I guess ET is a loss, but it was 100% expected and we had been w/o him since game 4 of 2018 anyway.

I don't know how the Kendricks legal stuff is going to play out, but signing both him and KJ give me confidence we will have at least 1 really good player there more often than we won't in 2019.

Could be looking at 4 or 5 Pro Bowl level players on defense at a minimum with Frank Clark, Jarran Reed, Bobby, KJ, Bradley McDougald, and maybe Kendricks. I'm optimistic about the young DBs, and I don't think Shaquill Griffin was nearly as bad as some are giving him credit for.

I don't know if Jason Myers will have as good of a 2019 as was his 2018, but he should be at least a slight improvement over Janikowski, who was also an improvement over Walsh.

I'm confident the O has not lost a single thing and has a great chance to continue building on what ended up being a very good showing in 2018. Fingers crossed for a full recovery by Dissly. And for Baldwin being more healthy next season. I think we are fine by not doing much at all to WR. This team's identity is physical running and RW's unique playmaking ability, not big money or 1st round receivers. I would rather bring Kearse back than blow a top pick on a WR that will probably not do much at all until 2020 at the earliest.

Feeling good about where things are headed. If you go by the Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees scale, Russell is just getting into his prime years and could be at the top of his game for most of the next decade. We got over the hump with the OL, got the ground game back on top, and we now also have a defense that is young and hungry once again. With a couple breaks, 2019 could be a really good year.

You bring up some good points regarding the offense. I'd actually go as far as to say that I think the offense could improve in 2018. I personally regard Iupati to be a better player than Sweezy, but not monumentally better. As you mentioned, Doug Baldwin will likely be back and 100% and depending on Dissly's recovery, that could be a nice addition as well.

I previously mentioned wide receiver possibly being an area to target mostly due to the fact that the Seahawks really lack depth there at this point. Despite having a lot of playing time, Jaron Brown was seldom targeted and I see David Moore being somewhat of a wild card. Although the Seahawks primarily ran out of 2 WR sets, it's just inevitable that in today's NFL the #3 WR is going to see a substantial amount of playing time.

Bringing Kearse back is actually an interesting suggestion that I didn't really take into consideration, but I think would be a very prudent move. He has good chemistry with Russ and would give us more depth at the position without having to utilize one of the few draft picks we have at WR.

I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of the Schottenheimer hire, but I really love what he has done with the offense. He and Mike Solari made a huge difference for the offense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fluker resigned. I do like that. He was pretty weak in the pass blocking department, but he put up a solid season with run blocking. Only $1M guaranteed and 2 years/$6M. He may be a training camp casualty, but there's hardly any risk for Seattle and does give us depth if we shift Ifedi to RG or start Iupati. Iupati is IMO the better player but he's an injury concern.

Completely agree. I do feel that Fluker had a huge impact in the running game. The game that sticks out to me the most is when we played the Rams at home and he completely dominated Ndamukong Suh on running plays.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bring up some good points regarding the offense. I'd actually go as far as to say that I think the offense could improve in 2018. I personally regard Iupati to be a better player than Sweezy, but not monumentally better. As you mentioned, Doug Baldwin will likely be back and 100% and depending on Dissly's recovery, that could be a nice addition as well.

I previously mentioned wide receiver possibly being an area to target mostly due to the fact that the Seahawks really lack depth there at this point. Despite having a lot of playing time, Jaron Brown was seldom targeted and I see David Moore being somewhat of a wild card. Although the Seahawks primarily ran out of 2 WR sets, it's just inevitable that in today's NFL the #3 WR is going to see a substantial amount of playing time.

Bringing Kearse back is actually an interesting suggestion that I didn't really take into consideration, but I think would be a very prudent move. He has good chemistry with Russ and would give us more depth at the position without having to utilize one of the few draft picks we have at WR.

I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of the Schottenheimer hire, but I really love what he has done with the offense. He and Mike Solari made a huge difference for the offense.
I definitely feel the O can be better this coming season, especially if Moore takes another step (he faded at the end of '18 but still think he is on the upswing), Dissly is g2g, Baldwin comes in 100%, etc.

I have placed decreasing value on the WR position as I've become older, especially in the salary cap era. Line up the top 10 highest paid WRs and tally up the SBs, and you'll see why. I just don't think they really help you win (the big money guys), at least relative to a handful of other positions. And that's not to say I wasn't excited about the trades for Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham, but those are 2 pretty good examples why moves that like that are a bad idea. Harvin actually seemed for a minute like it was going to work, but we would have been much better off as we were. And even though Graham was actually pretty productive here and worked out better (my opinion) than most people think, it still was a move that pulled us away from our 2012/13 identity on offense....and we probably would have been better off not making that trade. I just don't think you need to pay big money or use top picks on WRs if you have a truly elite QB. Maybe you do if you have Andy Dalton, but RW is good enough to win with a generally average group of targets.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree on your list ulmax, but I'd move Dend to #1.

Someone to get home opposite Clark would fix a LOT of seeming issues in the secondary.

Yeah ok then...i change my mind to Zack
Allen Boston collage
Which could move Clark to the other side...or not

I'm ok with Pete getting lower lvl saftys..cuz
He is the coach..and a secondary caoch as well

He made the first
leagon of boom
.he will make another
Second leagon of boom

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash