• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it applies I'll say it.....maybe instead you'd rather I tell someone his/her comments are retarded?

You argue poster and not post and I don't try and stop ya.

You be you.
But I am not arguing anything I'm busting your balls about your retarded quirks. And wrong again, sometimes I discuss posts content and sometimes I have fun ripping posters. Probably need to add your repeated "poster not post" line to the catch phrase list.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy's intent was pointing out that owners are held to contractual standards at having to hand out millions of dollars because of guaranteed contracts. Regardless of said player's health or performance during said contract.

Yes, but that's not loyalty. That's the business they are in a how they negotiated the CBA and individual contracts. The owners aren't being loyal they are just running a business.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but that's not loyalty. That's the business they are in a how they negotiated the CBA and individual contracts. The owners aren't being loyal they are just running a business.
exactly the same with the players- they sign a contract to provide services to the best of their ability. Not to piss and moan and undercut the team if they want to leave early on a contract that they voluntarily signed.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was saying that the player agreed to play in a place, he should have loyalty. I was just pointing out that owners have no loyalty either.

End of the day, neither side has loyalty.

As soon as the team decides the player is no longer "part of the plan" or they're ready to "move in a different direction", they move the player whether he wants to be moved or not.

As soon as the player decides the team is no longer "where he wants to be" or that he "can't win here", he starts looking for a way out.

The closest I've seen in recent memory to loyalty from a team, the Lakers gave Kobe a big contract for his last 2 seasons. While I agreed with it at the time, and still do...it also likely has a lot to do with why they have struggled so much the past few years.

The closest I've seen to loyalty from a player in recent years was DeMar DeRozan re-signing with the Raptors because he wanted to play there for his entire career. He's now a San Antonio Spur.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player agreed to contract with guaranteed money. No guarantee that contract remains with original team.

Seems like that would work both ways. The money for the player is guaranteed. What's not guaranteed is that it will be the same team paying him for the entire length of the contract.

Imo, it doesn't really matter who initiates the move.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the point is, nobody knows what your point usually is.

The poster I was arguing with was complaining that players should have loyalty to the team they signed with. I just pointed out that owners trade players so they really don't have any loyalty either.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like that would work both ways. The money for the player is guaranteed. What's not guaranteed is that it will be the same team paying him for the entire length of the contract.

Imo, it doesn't really matter who initiates the move.

Disagree.
The team gave the player the contract.
Player knows he can be traded before he signs.
If the team decides to trade, its on then to get equal value.
If player forces way out, often team gets less value in return.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly the same with the players- they sign a contract to provide services to the best of their ability. Not to piss and moan and undercut the team if they want to leave early on a contract that they voluntarily signed.

No where in the contract does it say that they can't piss and moan and undercut the team. If you weren't being treated fairly at work and it improved your prospects to piss and moan then you would do the same thing. Why do people complain about players being spoiled brats when we do the exact same thing here in America. Third world countries struggle to have food, water and housing but here in America we bitch about the price of gasoline going up 2 cents or the size of our houses being too small. It's all relative and people are always going to improve their situation if they feel they need to, it's just human nature.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you believe they had a shot at Kawhi at all and it was not all just posturing and hurting the Lakers to help the Clippers- who he wanted to go to all along (which is sure what it sounds like from Kawhi- and sure what it sounds like the Lakers think as well).

There have been different reports. What seems to be most consistent is that Kawhi wanted to be in LA, so the Raptors were never truly in it.

He apparently had some question about doing the "superteam thing" with Lebron and AD, but he wasn't going to the Clips by himself.

It's also been said, apparently from Kawhi's camp, that Magic "didn't do them any favors".

The only leaks that came out were re: Magic meeting with Kawhi. Not just that they met, but some of the details. That info. could only have come from Magic or Kawhi's camp.

In contrast, Don McLean (Clippers color analyst) was interviewed a couple of days after the signing, knew exactly what happened and still wouldn't say a word.

Maybe the Lakers were just strung along, maybe not. No one truly knows (except maybe Kawhi). What we do know is that Kawhi asked for discretion and Magic ran his mouth.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.
The team gave the player the contract.
Player knows he can be traded before he signs.
If the team decides to trade, its on then to get equal value.
If player forces way out, often team gets less value in return.

And the team knows that the player can ask for a trade before they sign.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of the day, neither side has loyalty.

As soon as the team decides the player is no longer "part of the plan" or they're ready to "move in a different direction", they move the player whether he wants to be moved or not.

As soon as the player decides the team is no longer "where he wants to be" or that he "can't win here", he starts looking for a way out.

The closest I've seen in recent memory to loyalty from a team, the Lakers gave Kobe a big contract for his last 2 seasons. While I agreed with it at the time, and still do...it also likely has a lot to do with why they have struggled so much the past few years.

The closest I've seen to loyalty from a player in recent years was DeMar DeRozan re-signing with the Raptors because he wanted to play there for his entire career. He's now a San Antonio Spur.

Nicely put. Exactly what I was trying to convey to these dudes.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been different reports. What seems to be most consistent is that Kawhi wanted to be in LA, so the Raptors were never truly in it.

He apparently had some question about doing the "superteam thing" with Lebron and AD, but he wasn't going to the Clips by himself.

It's also been said, apparently from Kawhi's camp, that Magic "didn't do them any favors".

The only leaks that came out were re: Magic meeting with Kawhi. Not just that they met, but some of the details. That info. could only have come from Magic or Kawhi's camp.

In contrast, Don McLean (Clippers color analyst) was interviewed a couple of days after the signing, knew exactly what happened and wouldn't say a word.

Maybe the Lakers were just strung along, maybe not. No one truly knows (except maybe Kawhi). What we do know is that Kawhi asked for discretion and Magic ran his mouth.

It's funny because those two examples you gave, they (Lakers and Derozan) both got screwed for being loyal.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the team knows that the player can ask for a trade before they sign.

Same circle.
One things to privately discuss to benefit both sides.
Quite another to become a distraction and force team to take .60 on the dollar...

And yes, they are in essence, forced.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most of this. But disagree on requesting a trade to a specific team.

Imo, if a player wants out, he should go to his team and quietly request a trade and I don't see a problem with him giving them a list of preferred destinations.

However, that shouldn't mean that the player absolutely gets traded to where he wants to go. Those teams should be included in talks and if they make the best offer, fine. If not, then he goes where they get the best offer from.

Preferred destination is fine, but the team is under no obligation, imo, to trade him to where he wants to go simply to appease him. If it makes the most sense for everyone involved, then that works out great.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I am not arguing anything I'm busting your balls about your retarded quirks. And wrong again, sometimes I discuss posts content and sometimes I have fun ripping posters. Probably need to add your repeated "poster not post" line to the catch phrase list.
I'm think I'm good with the list as it stands, but thanks for your input and I'll take it under advisement.

I think "Oh, the irony" might make it as a regular.