• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The speciation is that Kawhi preferred LA.

He crossed the Lakers off his list early because he did not trust the organization.

At that point, it was all about getting another star to LAC. If they succeeded, he was a Clipper. If they didn’t, he would have returned to Toronto. Again, because the Lakers people, and Magic specifically couldn’t keep their mouths shut.

And yes, I realize Magic no longer carries any official role in the organization.

And I buy that speciation 100%. I even commented on this exact scenario when Kawhi was in the initial stages and you kept hearing “Kawhi to the Lakers done deal” when all he asked for was privacy. You didn't Hear a peep from the other 2 teams those first couple days.

Maybe he picks the Clips in the end anyway. But the circus in the Laker front office was never going to be attractive to a player like Kawhi. He tested them and they failed.

No one officially part of the Lakers said anything. All of the talking came from Magic.

The way it looks to me is that Magic wants to get credit for "saving the Lakers" so badly, that he actually ended up hurting and possibly ending their shot at Kawhi.

Kawhi and his team share a little of the blame because they requested the meeting with Magic, even though he was no longer part of the organization in any official capacity.

The vast majority of the blame falls on Magic, imo, because all he needed to do was keep his mouth shut for a few days and he didn't.

I'm not even sure that it getting out that Kawhi and his folks wanted to meet with Magic would have been a problem. But the fact that actual details re: what was discussed got out was obviously an issue.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the crap he spewed at tf12 is STILL priceless to this day...

#EPICmeltdown

Well I'm sure if @trojanfan12 was getting crap thrown his was he deserved it. After all he's a Lakers fan. Wait a minute, you're a Lakers fan too. Dammit!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were totally wrong.
You said he would meltdown, quit trying to improve, be banished from league.
He did none of the above, and has played well.

He lost minutes to Bam, but whatever.
Heat found a long term asset.
I said his contract would be an absolute failure and I was right.

I said the Heat would be an bloated expensive mediocre team that won nothing and I was right.

and then, in his EXPIRING contract year- when a guy is supposed to be an asset- he was traded for 2 lumps of crap--- one guy it took a first rounder to get rid of- another guy making 11M who will almost certainly not be in the rotation.

I couldnt have hit the nail on the head any better if I had a time machine.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one officially part of the Lakers said anything. All of the talking came from Magic.

The way it looks to me is that Magic wants to get credit for "saving the Lakers" so badly, that he actually ended up hurting and possibly ending their shot at Kawhi.

Kawhi and his team share a little of the blame because they requested the meeting with Magic, even though he was no longer part of the organization in any official capacity.

The vast majority of the blame falls on Magic, imo, because all he needed to do was keep his mouth shut for a few days and he didn't.

I'm not even sure that it getting out that Kawhi and his folks wanted to meet with Magic would have been a problem. But the fact that actual details re: what was discussed got out was obviously an issue.
if you believe they had a shot at Kawhi at all and it was not all just posturing and hurting the Lakers to help the Clippers- who he wanted to go to all along (which is sure what it sounds like from Kawhi- and sure what it sounds like the Lakers think as well).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were totally wrong.
You said he would meltdown, quit trying to improve, be banished from league.
He did none of the above, and has played well.

He lost minutes to Bam, but whatever.
Heat found a long term asset.
he was a 27M dollar a year paper weight that the coach hated putting on the floor. LOL. for shit sake at this point you just gotta own it man.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like Ponce De Leon? lol.......yikes......oh the horror.

Yep.
Stupid stuff like that, when you’re getting abused.
But like I said, its good you think your funny and can laugh at yourself.

Its the one thing we all have in common!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta tell ya, WiggityWack is one entertaining cat. wrong as 2 left shoes about Whiteside and LeClown, but will tapdance like a muthafucka to try and look right...

tellin' y'all, you simply can't BUY entertainment like this...

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was a 27M dollar a year paper weight that the coach hated putting on the floor. LOL. for shit sake at this point you just gotta own it man.

You can say it 10,000 more times, still isnt true.
His numbers were fine.
So, you dismiss them.

Sometimes Spoelstra worked around opponents lineups, sometimes opponents work around Whiteside.
Thats todays NBA, not a negative on Whiteside.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta tell ya, WiggityWack is one entertaining cat. wrong as 2 left shoes about Whiteside and LeClown, but will tapdance like a muthafucka to try and look right...

tellin' y'all, you simply can't BUY entertainment like this...

Gotta love this forum

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Any player should have the right to ask to be traded. However I think where I draw the line is when players ask to be traded to specific teams. If you want to remove yourself from your current situation, that's fine, but as a player under a contract you don't get to dictate where you are traded.

Additionally, there is a right and a wrong way to request a trade. A player should go to management quietly, while they try to figure out a situation that works. It decreases locker room tension and removes any distraction from the organization while they try to figure out something that works.

Agree with most of this. But disagree on requesting a trade to a specific team.

Imo, if a player wants out, he should go to his team and quietly request a trade and I don't see a problem with him giving them a list of preferred destinations.

However, that shouldn't mean that the player absolutely gets traded to where he wants to go. Those teams should be included in talks and if they make the best offer, fine. If not, then he goes where they get the best offer from.