• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 FA thread

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be shocked when Gruden shops/trades Derek Carr and then drafts D. Haskins @4 if not in a move up. The dead money was somewhere around 7.5M and Cap Savings of 15M. They already have 73.5M in effective cap spending and then tack on another 15M to that. The draft slot @4 would cost 5.7M

I'm not kidding either. Gruden will salivate over Haskins or already is. I've watched all of his past QB sit-downs with Draft Prospects. He gives a tell in each one of who he preferred had he been coaching at that time.

I'll laugh my ass off if he does that. Wonder if Mike "As seen on television" Mayock would talk him out of it.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter is hit and miss, imo, on their assessment

@Rollingthndr

CB Kareem Jackson is listed as 35th best FA and ahead of Golden Tate

Kareem Jackson, CB, Texans. Age: 31.
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
halfstar.gif

Kareem Jackson emerged as one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL this past season. He's a late bloomer for certain. Unfortunately for Jackson, he's turning 31 in April, so he doesn't have much time left to play on a high level.

Yeah I agree, we only need him for a year or two anyways. Best kind of free agents to get. Solid veterans who won't break you long term if something goes wrong.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Detroit Lions had the best pass-blocking TE in the NFL for 2018

But it wasn’t all bad news for the unit. Receiving is only half of the battle for many tight ends, and for Levine Toilolo, he absolutely crushed the other half of his duties. Not only was Toilolo an impressive pass blocker this season, he was the best pass-blocking tight end according to PFF.

At 6-foot-8, 268 pounds, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Toilolo is a solid pass blocker—he’s essentially built like an additional (very lean) offensive tackle. And when you combine the fact that Toilolo emerged as a somewhat reliable receiving option towards the end of the season—15 catches for 203 yards and a touchdown in the final five games—the 27-year-old is a solid candidate to come back in 2019.

It would be a tall order to ask Toilolo to be the Lions’ No. 1 tight end next year—if we’re being honest, he’s far too much of a liability as a run blocker.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

not like I trust anything/everything PFF puts out there. The not so good/liability in run blocking kind of catches me off guard a little. I didn't see enough games first and foremost. Maybe some input from others explain this liability.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still need a run/pass blocking TE somewhere in FA or draft.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still need a run/pass blocking TE somewhere in FA or draft.

I'd rather sign one. I don't trust the Lions or Stafford to take advantage of a good TE after the Ebron Fiasco.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

not like I trust anything/everything PFF puts out there. The not so good/liability in run blocking kind of catches me off guard a little. I didn't see enough games first and foremost. Maybe some input from others explain this liability.

I saw all but the last 2 games. He is solid all around but like you said he is not a number 1. Nice guy to bring back. Didnt notice any deficiency in run blocking but its hard to see everything.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for Brate just gives away another draft slot and costs more than a draftable rookie but at least Brate has proven himself in the NFL.

Cameron Brate Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

BB_72; Whew. This rumor had it come to fruition could've turned into a Levy v2.0

Cameron Brate - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 2019 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Cameron Brate had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip.
He's expected to miss a "few months." Brate played through the injury for most of the year but didn't sit any games. The Bucs are hoping to have Brate for the start of June's minicamp. Jan 19 - 9:35 AM
Source: ESPN

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 fearless Detroit Lions 2019 predictions: One star traded, one stays

2. The Lions trade for a tight end.

The Rob Gronkowski ship has sailed, and his body is done anyway. But Quinn has never shied away from making deals and I fully expect him to be active in pursuing upgrades for his offense this winter.

One possibility: The Bucs have two pretty good tight ends in O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate, a new coach coming aboard and not a lot of cap space. Howard probably isn’t going anywhere, but perhaps Brate can be had for the right price. He didn’t have a great 2018, and Tampa structured his contract so there’s no cap hit to deal him. Just thinking out loud, but he’d look good in Honolulu blue.

BB_72; Birkett needs to do his homework.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 free agents the Lions may target with ties to Bevell

Mike Davis, RB, Seahawks
Davis only played one season in Bevell’s offense in Seattle, but he is a power runner that perfectly fits the presumed new offensive structure in Detroit. While Davis is a bruising runner, he is also very quietly an excellent receiving back — last season he caught 34 passes for 214-yards, good for the third highest mark on the Seahawks roster.

With the Seahawks set with Chris Carson as a starter and investing a first round pick on Rashaad Penny, Davis is not expected to return to their crowded backfield. The Lions may look to add the soon to be 26-year-old to their roster as a LeGarrette Blount replacement.

BB_72; I'm good with this potential signing.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 free agents the Lions may target with ties to Bevell

Mark Glowinski, RG, Colts
Glowinski was drafted in the fourth round of the 2015 draft by the Seahawks and started all 16 games in 2016 at left guard. In 2017, they shifted him to right guard, but like most offensive lineman under OL coach Tom Cable, he struggled to get a foothold. Before the season was over, Glowinski was released and claimed by the Colts.

After beginning the season as a backup, an injury opened up an opportunity for Glowinski and he seized his moment, starting the final 11 games. “In 601 snaps he was the 10th-highest graded guard during the regular season,” said PFF’s Michael Renner. “While that’s a small sample size, he’d still quite clearly be a welcome addition for all the teams with liabilities at guard.”

An above average athlete for an interior lineman — and Full QIB qualifier — Glowinski’s skill set lends itself to a power run scheme and could be an early free agency sleeper target for the Lions regardless of what happens with T.J. Lang in 2019.

BB_72; I'm a little guarded with this choice due to the small sample size and possible cost. Indy has the $$$ to keep him.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Mark Glowinski

He meets the QIB

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 fearless Detroit Lions 2019 predictions: One star traded, one stays

2. The Lions trade for a tight end.

The Rob Gronkowski ship has sailed, and his body is done anyway. But Quinn has never shied away from making deals and I fully expect him to be active in pursuing upgrades for his offense this winter.

One possibility: The Bucs have two pretty good tight ends in O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate, a new coach coming aboard and not a lot of cap space. Howard probably isn’t going anywhere, but perhaps Brate can be had for the right price. He didn’t have a great 2018, and Tampa structured his contract so there’s no cap hit to deal him. Just thinking out loud, but he’d look good in Honolulu blue.

BB_72; Birkett needs to do his homework.

I'd like to see them kick the tires on Jace Amaro or Jesse James both should be very cheap and are decent pass catchers. Maybe bring Fleener in for a try out too think don't think he played last year though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them kick the tires on Jace Amaro or Jesse James both should be very cheap and are decent pass catchers

I really like the idea of James but not much of a fan of Amaro. I was interested in Amaro coming out of TT thinking more in line that he could be moved all round in x, y, z. He was pretty much outside solely while in CFB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stomp any idea of projected cost for James on a yearly average and possible guaranteed $$$$ ?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the idea of James but not much of a fan of Amaro. I was interested in Amaro coming out of TT thinking more in line that he could be moved all round in x, y, z. He was pretty much outside solely while in CFB.

I am on the JJ bandwagon. I have seen enough to know he would be a nice fit. I think Bevell will run a lot of 2 WR sets with 2 TEs maybe 1 as an H-Back.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 Free Agency Profile: Jesse James
By PFF Analysis Team • Pittsburgh Steelers Jesse James • Jan 22, 2019

Listed at 6-foot-7, 261 pounds, former Penn state tight end Jesse James brings good size to the table and untapped potential given his age (24) and serviceable athleticism. He’s yet to break out as a true receiving threat at the position but offers immediate help with his ability to block both in pass protection and in the ground game.

Pro Football Focus will be running through 50-plus pending/soon-to-be free agents between January 7, 2019 and March 8, 2019 to offer a detailed analysis of the top players bound for new contracts and (possibly) new teams in 2019. We want to house all of the important grades, advanced stats and key analysis for each player, so you know exactly what your team is getting in free agency.

To review all of our free agent profiles in one place, please visit this page.

Investing in James as a top tight end in this league wouldn’t be wise, but adding him as a depth piece with starter potential is the low-risk, high-reward free agency signing should be willing to make if tight end depth is a need heading into March.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

I do the suggestion in that fan post linked above for 49'ers RG Mike Person and TE Jesse James but I don't like idea of adding FA S Boston seems as though we just drafted Walker for that position and I also don't like the idea of FA CB Steve Nelson.

The top 50 NFL free agents of 2019 | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

While he still gives up too many big plays, Nelson turned into a playmaker himself in 2018. He managed 10 pass breakups and four picks while allowing a catch rate of only 53.1 percent in his coverage. In a weak corner class, Nelson is trending up at the right time.