• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because KD, even though he's 6'10" isn't a PF or Center. Small ball is not just in relation to height, it's also by positional skills. The Warriors won all 3 of their championships having a center who was in reality a 6'6" PF, 2 SF's and 2 Guards. It's about what the principle of small ball accomplishes. Floor spacing, shooting, fast breaks, switching defense, etc.

I mean if you fielded a lineup of Wes Unseld (6'7"), Dennis Rodman (6'7") , Draymond Green (6'6"), Charles Barkley(6'6") and Larry Johnson (6'6") would you consider that a small ball lineup?
Ya gotta admit, @dtgold88 , CitySushi kinda has us dominated on hoops knowledge

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because KD, even though he's 6'10" isn't a PF or Center. Small ball is not just in relation to height, it's also by positional skills. The Warriors won all 3 of their championships having a center who was in reality a 6'6" PF, 2 SF's and 2 Guards. It's about what the principle of small ball accomplishes. Floor spacing, shooting, fast breaks, switching defense, etc.

I mean if you fielded a lineup of Wes Unseld (6'7"), Dennis Rodman (6'7") , Draymond Green (6'6"), Charles Barkley(6'6") and Larry Johnson (6'6") would you consider that a small ball lineup?
wow......Durant is a small ball staple? don't kid yourself...height matters in small ball. You think a lineup of Lebron, KD, Magic, Simmons and Jokic - all skilled players who can pass and move the ball, play multiple positions on D (well, maybe a better example than Jokic) - would be considered a small ball lineup?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya gotta admit, @dtgold88 , CitySushi kinda has us dominated on hoops knowledge
I do appreciate his knowledge of the sport, but think this is a little off base. while I get what he's saying, to say height has nothing to do with small ball is absurd.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow......Durant is a small ball staple? don't kid yourself...height matters in small ball. You think a lineup of Lebron, KD, Magic, Simmons and Jokic - all skilled players who can pass and move the ball, play multiple positions on D (well, maybe a better example than Jokic) - would be considered a small ball lineup?

You're missing the point. Durant isn't a small ball staple. His skill set is. His shooting. His ability to create off the dribble. His ability to defend multiple positions. His ability to pass to the open man. Those are all staples of small ball. In 2015 the Warriors had Harrison Barnes as their tallest player at 6'8". In 2007 the Warriors beat the #1 seed Mavs with Matt Barnes at 6'7" being their tallest player for a lot of their lineups.

Small ball is a principle, it's not defined by height. Height HELPS, but it's not the main factor.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the point. Durant isn't a small ball staple. His skill set is. His shooting. His ability to create off the dribble. His ability to defend multiple positions. His ability to pass to the open man. Those are all staples of small ball. In 2015 the Warriors had Harrison Barnes as their tallest player at 6'8". In 2007 the Warriors beat the #1 seed Mavs with Matt Barnes at 6'7" being their tallest player for a lot of their lineups.

Small ball is a principle, it's not defined by height. Height HELPS, but it's not the main factor.
No doubt, but when you add a Durant who is 6-11 (not 6-10 as I said)

As I said, I doubt anyone is calling a lineup of Lebron, Magic, Durant, Duncan and Green (who can do what you mention to be small ball) a small ball lineup.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CitySushi says this:
... Small ball is not just in relation to height, it's also by positional skills...
@dtgold88 interprets that statement as this?
... to say height has nothing to do with small ball is absurd.
:scratch:

Dtgold... it's hard to have a convo with you with you consistently misread and flat out mangle like this.

This is not an isolated incident, either.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, but when you add a Durant who is 6-11 (not 6-10 as I said)

As I said, I doubt anyone is calling a lineup of Lebron, Magic, Durant, Duncan and Green (who can do what you mention to be small ball) a small ball lineup.

I just gave you two examples of lineups without Durant that succeeded in small ball, but you conveniently gloss over it.

And additionally, no your lineup you proposed is not a small ball lineup. That's why no would call it that. Take a look at my previous comments about what the PRINCIPLE of small ball is and you can probably figure out why it wouldn't be a small ball lineup. I'll give you a hint: it has nothing to do with height.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a playoff series they will be exposed....
Maybe not against the Lakers.

They would have the exact same advantage, and disadvantage, as the Clippers.

They can't match your size.

But, the Lakers can't guard wings.

Picking up Collison won't help with that.

Y'ALL need to look at buyout guys like Evan Turner.

He's a bust as a #2 pick.

But, he is at his best as a distributing Swiss army knife.

He was money in his role with the Celtics.

The Blazers tried to make him something he isn't.

Bazemore, Marvin Williams should get a look too.

I'm hoping Biyombo shakes loose.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not against the Lakers.

They would have the exact same advantage, and disadvantage, as the Clippers.

They can't match your size.

But, the Lakers can't guard wings.

Picking up Collison won't help with that.

Y'ALL need to look at buyout guys like Evan Turner.

He's a just as a #2 pick.

But, he is at his best as a distributing Swiss army knife.

He was money in his role with the Celtics.

The Blazers tried to make him something he isn't.

Do you like that your Clippers got Marcus Morris?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you like that your Clippers trading for Marcus Morris?
Yes and no.

I wanted them to sign him in free agency and he declined to take less from the Spurs.

Doesn't sound like a guy that wants to be a Clipper.

Like Mike Tomlin said, we want volunteers, not hostages.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CitySushi says this:

@dtgold88 interprets that statement as this?

:scratch:

Dtgold... it's hard to have a convo with you with you consistently misread and flat out mangle like this.

This is not an isolated incident, either.
That's a fair point in this instance, as he never said height has NOTHING to do with it so I was incorrect there.

This is also not isolated....if I'm wrong I man up and admit it.

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just gave you two examples of lineups without Durant that succeeded in small ball, but you conveniently gloss over it.

And additionally, no your lineup you proposed is not a small ball lineup. That's why no would call it that. Take a look at my previous comments about what the PRINCIPLE of small ball is and you can probably figure out why it wouldn't be a small ball lineup. I'll give you a hint: it has nothing to do with height.
these were your staples of small ball - "His shooting. His ability to create off the dribble. His ability to defend multiple positions. His ability to pass to the open man. Those are all staples of small ball."

And this was the lineup I proposed - Lebron, Magic, Durant, Duncan and Green

Other than Green not being the best shooter they have all the tenets you look for....yet we both agree not a small ball lineup. Wonder why.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these were your staples of small ball - "His shooting. His ability to create off the dribble. His ability to defend multiple positions. His ability to pass to the open man. Those are all staples of small ball."

And this was the lineup I proposed - Lebron, Magic, Durant, Duncan and Green

Other than Green not being the best shooter they have all the tenets you look for....yet we both agree not a small ball lineup. Wonder why.

The fact that you refute this is just being argumentative at this point. I'll say my piece and be done because obviously you have no grasp on this.

So you're going to switch Duncan on to point guards? You're gonna rely on him on close outs and rotations on the perimeter? You're going to take him away from defending the paint?

You're going to take Duncan out of the post, his single greatest asset and put him on the perimeter to space the floor.

You're going to have incredible shooting with Lebron at 34% career, Draymond at 32%, Duncan at 17% and Magic at 30% from 3.. Yeah great floor spacing there.

You're going to keep Magic out on the perimeter and take away his post game?

C'mon dude it's not even hard to see that your lineup has no semblance of a small ball lineup. The principle for small ball is creating mismatches on the offensive end by utilitizing shooting, floor spacing and being able to rotate quickly on defense while switching everything. You're missing vital components here.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you refute this is just being argumentative at this point. I'll say my piece and be done because obviously you have no grasp on this.

So you're going to switch Duncan on to point guards? You're gonna rely on him on close outs and rotations on the perimeter? You're going to take him away from defending the paint?

You're going to take Duncan out of the post, his single greatest asset and put him on the perimeter to space the floor.

You're going to have incredible shooting with Lebron at 34% career, Draymond at 32%, Duncan at 17% and Magic at 30% from 3.. Yeah great floor spacing there.

C'mon dude it's not even hard to see that your lineup has no semblance of a small ball lineup. The principle for small ball is creating mismatches on the offensive end by utilitizing shooting, floor spacing and being able to rotate quickly on defense while switching everything. You're missing vital components here.
Goal posts moving? I followed your tenets. Please decide what you want small ball to be and stick to it. If it's the latter, agree players I mentioned not the best fit. But feel free to replace Duncan with Giannis and Draymond with Kawhi or Harden if you'd like.If need be, I'm sure I can come up with a better shooter than Giannis. Only point was to try and compare that GS lineup to what Houston has going on and point out the center was 6-6 didn't make a lot of sense since they did have a 6-11 guy in the lineup.

And not all players in the small ball lineup must be great at all tenets. Green and Iggy not the greatest shooters and were part of GS small ball lineup, for instance. Harden part of Houston's and not a very good defender.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's just not in your league with basketball analysis. He just fights over definitions of words like "small" or "a lot better" and so on. Fighting over minute vocabulary nuances is his brand. Or using empty numbers to explain why some player is "better" than another with no regard to fit or skillset or leadership or IQ. It's a hoot.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasting your time bro