• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif
Fortunately, I was pretty exhausted and couldn't stay up late for the game... otherwise I'm sure that would have been me.

I get over it pretty quickly... but I can yell at the TV with the best of them in the moment. ;)

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss @Shanemansj13 , @dtgold88 ....

As a black woman , it pains me to say this...

But, I'm having a hard time believing Garrett.

I'm not writing a apology letter to some dickhead that called me the n word.

I'm gonna need a boom mic recoding or admission to sway me.

Most folks would have reacted like Cp3 when Rondo spit on him.

The fact that he , ALLEGEDLY, hadn't even mentioned this to his teammates, coaches nor the media makes me give him the side eye.

* remembers we are in a NBA thread*

Go Clippers!!!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss @Shanemansj13 , @dtgold88 ....

As a black woman , it pains me to say this...

But, I'm having a hard time believing Garrett.

I'm not writing a apology letter to some dickhead that called me the n word.

I'm gonna need a boom mic recoding or admission to sway me.

Most folks would have reacted like Cp3 when Rondo spit on him.

The fact that he , ALLEGEDLY, hadn't even mentioned this to his teammates, coaches nor the media makes me give him the side eye.

* remembers we are in a NBA thread*

Go Clippers!!!

Who knows what happened. I just thought it was weird he was using that as the major point in his appeal. It was dumb tbh.
He could have used: he kicked me in the nuts, he grabbed my facemask first and provoked the suspension (so should at least get one game and I should get 6 or mine should be reduced)...I'm not sure why he went this route.

Garrett has been reckless all season...uncharacteristic of him, all season long. He's had so many reckless, bonehead penalties and now this. I am not one of those people that is blaming the coach for what he did bc it was only his fault for acting with rage but this team is not being led by a head coach and is very undisciplined...Kitchens is more of a teammate right now. He didn't even talk to Garrett right after the play on the sidelines to at least say, "we have no place in this game for something like that". Kitchens won't be the head coach much longer...like I said not blaming Kitchens but do you think this happens if Garrett is a Patriot under Belichick, probably not. Garrett deserves whatever suspension he gets.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @Mecca... quick question for you since the subject is raised:

What is your opinion on African American youth using the "N word" to address each other?

I ask because I hear it in my school hallways on a semi-regular basis... obviously I wouldn't let use of the word slide in my classroom because it is never appropriate in a formal setting... but in the hallways it slides by the same way minor cussing does...

Still, I always cringe a little when I hear it... but (frankly) I would feel a little out of place addressing the issue as such being that I'm a white dude.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What is your opinion on African American youth using the "N word" to address each other?

I ask because I hear it in my school hallways on a semi-regular basis... obviously I wouldn't let use of the word slide in my classroom because it is never appropriate in a formal setting... but in the hallways it slides by the same way minor cussing does...

Still, I always cringe a little when I hear it... but (frankly) I would feel a little out of place addressing the issue as such being that I'm a white dude.

So I'm not black enough to answer this? WOWWWWWW

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, this is a real quagmire to discuss because someone always ends up offended.

But, I will answer because I know we can both remain civilized.

My opinion?

It depends on the pronunciation of the word.

This is the best way I can explain the difference between the two:

N-words were hung from trees with a rope tied around their necks.

Ni*gas hang at the club with platinum ropes around their necks.

If your students are using the latter, I personally don't have a problem with it and this is why....

We have to remember that these kids hear that word a million times a day in music, film etc.

All these rappers are ecstatic when kids in the suburbs are buying their Shit.

So, you can't be upset when they repeat all the lyrics of the song.

Both of my kids are biracial. But, they lean heavily towards the Latina side physically.

I tell them not to say it because it's not obvious to some that they are half black.

But, I'd never tell another person's child what is, and isn't, appropriate for them to say.

Long story short...

I think it's a bit hypocritical if the pronunciation of the word is the one that is generally used as a term of endearment in my community.

I do, however, understand WHY some get angry.

Like, my best friend and I call each other bitch all the time.

But, let her husband or mine do it...lol

Think Lorena Bobbit.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is a real quagmire to discuss because someone always ends up offended.

But, I will answer because I know we can both remain civilized.

My opinion?

It depends on the pronunciation of the word.

This is the best way I can explain the difference between the two:

N-words were hung from trees with a rope tied around their necks.

Ni*gas hang at the club with platinum ropes around their necks.

If your students are using the latter, I personally don't have a problem with it and this is why....

We have to remember that these kids hear that word a million times a day in music, film etc.

All these rappers are ecstatic when kids in the suburbs are buying their Shit.

So, you can't be upset when they repeat all the lyrics of the song.

Both of my kids are biracial. But, they lean heavily towards the Latina side physically.

I tell them not to say it because it's not obvious to some that they are half black.

But, I'd never tell another person's child what is, and isn't, appropriate for them to say.

Long story short...

I think it's a bit hypocritical if the pronunciation of the word is the one that is generally used as a term of endearment in my community.

I do, however, understand WHY some get angry.

Like, my best friend and I call each other bitch all the time.

But, let her husband or mine do it...lol

Think Lorena Bobbit.
Thanks for the knowledge.

I'll say this: 9th graders these days aren't terribly persnickety over their pronunciation of the word... I've heard it in each of the different inflections you describe, and the kids don't seem to be making the type of thoughtful distinctions you are making.

From my perspective: the younger folks don't have any richer context... they're just using the word just cuz.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecca hit the nail on the head.

I use it but only with my black friends.

I hate those who use the word when talking to a white person because then that person may get comfortable saying it around another black person....and that may not end well even if it wasn't said in a racist way

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, @bksballer89... I'd love to hear your opinion to... wasn't trying to be exclusive, just that @Mecca touched on the issue so I figured I'd ask her.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the knowledge.

I'll say this: 9th graders these days aren't terribly persnickety over their pronunciation of the word... I've heard it in each of the different inflections you describe, and the kids don't seem to be making the type of thoughtful distinctions you are making.

From my perspective: the younger folks don't have any richer context... they're just using the word just cuz.
It a uncomfortable conversation to have because most can't have a open conversation like you, @bksballer89 and I.

Lost of misunderstandings could be cleared up rather quickly if they could.

You shouldn't have to be uneasy asking certain questions.

Unfortunately, this is the snowflake era. So, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It a uncomfortable conversation to have because most can't have a open conversation like you, @bksballer89 and I.

Lost of misunderstandings could be cleared up rather quickly if they could.

You shouldn't have to be uneasy asking certain questions.

Unfortunately, this is the snowflake era. So, it's better to be safe than sorry.
I agree... and thanks. We're all good company in here, so I really didn't give it a second thought asking.

I am also fortunate enough to be surrounded by a multi-cultural atmosphere basically everywhere... heck, I'm a school teacher. I feel lucky to be so immersed. I like seeing the variety but also the similarities... and kids of all types are generally not jaded yet, they're open to dialogue kinda like what we got here.

Finally, my experiences with family addiction and Al-Anon have really cut right through me... where before I never really had to think about it, now I positively don't care about differences in people. We're all people and we're all struggling to get through.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan Hines chocolate chunk cookies.

Bet you bite a chip.

I am white...I still mess with black chicks, but only the light skinned ones...The really dark ones creep me out, plus you can't see them at night lol

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk about the Hawks done by myself and they're 4-10.

2-7 since Young came back.

All thanks to John Collins