• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm totally serious.

Your failure to appreciate Baynes has always been comical.

Only someone who doesn't really know basketball with any degree of depth would compare Baynes and Nance on the basis of surface stats and conclude with a straight face that they are basically the same.

big difference in looking at box scores and stat sheets and actually WATCHING the games...

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what's more comical, though......might be calling PER a "surface stat".... maybe it's dismissing the surface stats out of hand. .....Or it could be this - He's so important that with a dearth of big men, his own team did not keep him and went with Theis at center.

All he could get was a 1-year deal for the midlevel.

Nance received a 4 year deal, and I haven't heard anyone say it was a bad deal for the Cavs.

Facts
You're just jabbering... C's dropped Baynes to get Kemba... it was a business decision that had to be done, and anyone would do.

Besides that: I'll let Baynes play speak for itself. Guy has been killing it this season.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Gman and enjoy the comments he brings, but for whatever reason he loses all ability to be rational when Baynes and now Theis are brought up.
Guilty as charged when it comes to Baynes... if valuing him is wrong, then I don't want to be right. :D

Never talked up Theis beyond arguing he is good enough to fill a role on the Celtics without bringing the team down. Been right about that so far.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking trade value or the better player?

This season Baynes has been the better player...by far.

Trade value goes to Nance bc he is much younger, on a great long-term contract.

It doesn't really matter though bc the Cavs won't him long-term as a role player off the bench unless he develops into something more.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just jabbering... C's dropped Baynes to get Kemba... it was a business decision that had to be done, and anyone would do.

Besides that: I'll let Baynes play speak for itself. Guy has been killing it this season.

as I said solid start....was he "killing it" his first 7 seasons? such a tough guy at 6-10 and 260 lbs he cannot rebound as well as Nance who is 6-7, 230?

But play the "you don't see the games" card, reserved when one has nothing factual they can go to. Guessing you have an all access pass for use of that card.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guilty as charged when it comes to Baynes... if valuing him is wrong, then I don't want to be right. :D

Never talked up Theis beyond arguing he is good enough to fill a role on the Celtics without bringing the team down. Been right about that so far.
He needs to improve to be average.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as I said solid start....was he "killing it" his first 7 seasons? such a tough guy at 6-10 and 260 lbs he cannot rebound as well as Nance who is 6-7, 230?

But play the "you don't see the games" card, reserved when one has nothing factual they can go to. Guessing you have an all access pass for use of that card.
You may have eyes, and you may watch the games @dtgold88... but that doesn't mean you can see worth a damn. ;)

Agree to disagree on the value of Baynes. I enjoyed our semi-regular chat on the subject. :D

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big difference in looking at box scores and stat sheets and actually WATCHING the games...
All 3 better than just seeing who made the comments to which you are replying.

Anything factual you'd care to point to in the discussion? At least gman freely admits his mancrush on baynes.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree this year he has been better...but also because he has to play a bigger role. When Ayton comes back he'll play and do less.

solid backup? Sure.

Yeah a bigger role but Baynes is playing vs starters. Nance is playing vs bench players. They are playing the same number of minutes and Baynes has played much better. Nance has always been a role player. He can rebound, he is a high-flyer and hard worker, now he has a developed a 3 ball when he is open but that is really it.

Baynes has been solid as a starter vs starters but still playing bench player minutes. 24 mpg
Nance has been a nice bench player vs other bench players. 24 mpg

There is a difference tbh.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may have eyes, and you may watch the games @dtgold88... but that doesn't mean you can see worth a damn. ;)

Agree to disagree on the value of Baynes. I enjoyed our semi-regular chat on the subject. :D
At least you feely admit your Baynes mancrush. Wonder what draws chief.

we can schedule this chat/discussion again for after the holidays, maybe?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking trade value or the better player?

This season Baynes has been the better player...by far.

Trade value goes to Nance bc he is much younger, on a great long-term contract.

It doesn't really matter though bc the Cavs won't him long-term as a role player off the bench unless he develops into something more.
I think this much is clear... a team like Phoenix needed guys like Rubio and Baynes in the worst way.

If Phoenix had two guys like Clarkson and Nance instead... (guys who are career-wise statistically similar to Rubes and Baynes)... they wouldn't be doing half so good now.

Rubio's understanding of team offense and Baynes' understanding of team defense gives them both value beyond the stat columns.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a bigger role but Baynes is playing vs starters. Nance is playing vs bench players. They are playing the same number of minutes and Baynes has played much better. Nance has always been a role player. He can rebound, he is a high-flyer and hard worker, now he has a developed a 3 ball when he is open but that is really it.

Baynes has been solid as a starter vs starters but still playing bench player minutes. 24 mpg
Nance has been a nice bench player vs other bench players. 24 mpg

There is a difference tbh.
while I do agree with your overall assessment, you don't really think just because Nance comes in it means the other teams sub out their starters, or when Baynes plays the opposing starters stay on the floor at all times?

3-6 minutes at start of game and 3rd quarter, sure.

Nance also played very well when he started in Love and TT's absences last season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this much is clear... a team like Phoenix needed guys like Rubio and Baynes in the worst way.

If Phoenix had two guys like Clarkson and Nance instead... (guys who are career-wise statistically similar to Rubes and Baynes)... they wouldn't be doing half so good now.

Rubio's understanding of team offense and Baynes' understanding of team defense gives them both value beyond the stat columns.
Mostly agree, though Nance knows as much about team D as Baynes......but can't teach 6-10, 260.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
geeze, another fan of bad flicks...

you probably liked the movie Slugs...

#let'shearitforBpictures

Definitely. But we're pretty picky. It can't just be a bad movie. It has to be a bad movie that is trying to be a good movie. That's what makes it entertaining. Most Seagal movies qualify.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. But we're pretty picky. It can't just be a bad movie. It has to be a bad movie that is trying to be a good movie. That's what makes it entertaining. Most Seagal movies qualify.

lol, Tremors qualifies as well...

and the more sequels they did, the worse(and FUNNIER) it got...

the last one where the monsters were intelligent, could fly, and shoot fire from their asses had me laughing so hard i damn near killed myself...

my son swore up and down that i'd lost my marbles...:lol:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while I do agree with your overall assessment, you don't really think just because Nance comes in it means the other teams sub out their starters, or when Baynes plays the opposing starters stay on the floor at all times?

3-6 minutes at start of game and 3rd quarter, sure.

Nance also played very well when he started in Love and TT's absences last season.

For the most part, yeah, Nance is playing vs bench players and Baynes is playing vs starters. So not all the minutes will be that way but most.

Baynes most likely plays what 6 mins a quarter...

1st 6 minutes of 1st - vs all starters
6 minutes sometime in the 2nd - could be vs starters or bench players depending on fouls/rotations
1st 6 minutes of 3rd - vs all starters
last 6 minutes of 4th - vs all starters unless they substitute for a smaller lineup

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Nance would be a great fit with Phoenix....team-first big man that can guard the perimeter, pass, run the floor, finish at the rim.

Clarkson not so much- the last thing they need is another playmaker/scorer

but nance would be an amazing fit there.