• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that a "white cop shoots black suspect" scenario needs help to have people talk about it in this day and age is laughable.

Like looking at the ocean and thinking it needs more help with water or something.

"We gotta do something to make this ocean situation more wet"

:D

The NBA has been pretty willing to listen and pretty genuine, too... the league does not come across as "cynically complying because they feel they have to"... they come across as willing to accommodate, IMO.

So it's interesting that the player's ire has turned towards the upper mgmt.

Frankly, it seems (to me) like the players don't have a plan and are neither well organized nor well defined. They just yell "change" and "action" without nuts, bolts or specifics.

I'd be lying if I didn't think some of this is the fact they don't make a whole lot in the short term in the playoffs.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that a "white cop shoots black suspect" scenario needs help to have people talk about it in this day and age is laughable.

Like looking at the ocean and thinking it needs more help with water or something.

"We gotta do something to make this ocean situation more wet"

:D

The NBA has been pretty willing to listen and pretty genuine, too... the league does not come across as "cynically complying because they feel they have to"... they come across as willing to accommodate, IMO.

So it's interesting that the player's ire has turned towards the upper mgmt.

Frankly, it seems (to me) like the players don't have a plan and are neither well organized nor well defined. They just yell "change" and "action" without nuts, bolts or specifics.

Exactly

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem you see with the bubble is that it's an environment that traps you and you become consumed with it. Politics are as divisive as you get and politicians from both sides are dishonest and exploit race as a means to garner votes (both sides are guilty of this to an extent). @msgkings322 typically get along and I respect the dude, we clearly sit on opposite sides of the fence on this one topic. But that's that source of the issues at least within the NBA. If you're surrounded by angry people in an isolated environment, it wears on you and becomes toxic. That's where the NBA is now.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem you see with the bubble is that it's an environment that traps you and you become consumed with it. Politics are as divisive as you get and politicians from both sides are dishonest and exploit race as a means to garner votes (both sides are guilty of this to an extent). @msgkings322 typically get along and I respect the dude, we clearly sit on opposite sides of the fence on this one topic. But that's that source of the issues at least within the NBA. If you're surrounded by angry people in an isolated environment, it wears on you and becomes toxic. That's where the NBA is now.
^ I think you have a good point here.

We talk about "echo chambers" and such on social media or on cable news... these are not usually physical spaces.

The players in the "bubble", though... they're arguably in a real, physical "echo chamber" right now.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly feel this goes all the way up until the election, then stops. There's my conspiracy theory.

Edit: Maybe a bit past it, but sometime in December, silence.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, because it's the NBA players' burden to protest everything wrong everywhere in the world before they speak up about racism at home
It’s not their burden but it’s not their duty to defend the murderous, genocidal CCP either and that’s what they ended up doing instead.

They then turn around and say their burden should be everyone’s burden.

It’s a blatant double standard. Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere. How about they all use their shoe deals to rail against sweatshop labour used by their sponsors? That alone will improve living conditions for millions.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly feel this goes all the way up until the election, then stops. There's my conspiracy theory.

Depends on who wins. Trump definitely drives a lot of the anger. Right or wrong, most black people are not fans of his

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who wins. Trump definitely drives a lot of the anger. Right or wrong, most black people are not fans of his

I agree, but it's (again conspiracy theory) amazing seeing how this lines up right towards election time.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree

We will be dealing with Covid the rest of our lives. And I fully believe this movement won't die down this go around.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have proof that they are? I guarantee that you'll find a very low percentage of players are proactively spending time in their communities actually helping out. It's not ignorance, it's cold honesty/reality.

Hell of assumption and a shitty one at that

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but it's (again conspiracy theory) amazing seeing how this lines up right towards election time.
It's probably helping Trump actually

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all in our rights to say anything we want. Sad that you think that's how it should be.

so that’s all they are doing is saying what they want? Do you have to actually write any checks?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree

We will be dealing with Covid the rest of our lives. And I fully believe this movement won't die down this go around.

Re Covid: we'll be 'dealing with it' the same way we deal with the flu, once there's a vaccine. It won't be eliminated but it will get down to the same level of a problem as the annual flu. And I do believe there will be more precautions taken from now on for all viral diseases. Those glass shields being put up everywhere will stay up. Servers may end wearing masks from now on, at least during flu season. Vulnerable people will surely use online ordering more and wear masks more.

Re the BLM movement: I too feel this will "stick" in the sense that it's being taken more seriously than ever before. The protests will die down some if Biden is elected, and will definitely die down when the economy gets back on track and those young people out there get jobs. I do think all the turmoil of 2020 will result in a change in how we think about some of these issues, and hopefully there will be much needed dialogue and change in how policing is handled.

There will always be people killed by police, and obviously black ones too, but maybe they will do better now that so much pressure and focus is being brought to bear.