• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the thought of a bubble but there's really nowhere to hold it for the needs to set up a bubble (large campus, multiple courts, hotels, etc) that isn't experiencing large increases in the virus. Both Florida and Nevada are on the rise, especially Florida. The bubble should work, but I don't think it'll work if its set up in a hot bed. The rate its going now, they might not even get the chance to set up the bubble in Florida. That's why I think it might be better to just play in home arenas and travel. Each team isolates on its own. Just start with the playoffs to help the logistics

Every large college campus has multiple courts. Every single one. Also, every campus that has a 100,000 capacity football stadium has the hotel space to accommodate 800 NBA people.

The bubble would work if set up in the right place. If players were traveling to home arenas, there would be far more risk for the virus deciding the outcome of a series.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing.

I think he's playing as long as he doesn't test positive.

Yeah, I think the majority of guys who are uncertain will end up playing.

I get the emotional response of not wanting to play what is ultimately a trivial game with what's going on...

But when you apply a little more logic to it, playing that trivial game could be the biggest platform they could ask for...especially with what's going on.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every large college campus has multiple courts. Every single one. Also, every campus that has a 100,000 capacity football stadium has the hotel space to accommodate 800 NBA people.

The bubble would work if set up in the right place. If players were traveling to home arenas, there would be far more risk for the virus deciding the outcome of a series.

I don't think you're correct saying every large campus has multiple courts. They have student courts, but those aren't set up "real" games. The teams need space and more important in the NBA's case, they need space to set up broadcasts. The reason they were looking at Disney and Vegas was because those locations had sporting complexes that fit those needs as well as the hotel space. And as for hotel space in those college campuses, yeah, they have the space. But that space is literally in the town. The hotel space required needs to be in a blocked off area, hence why Disney was more ideal for them. If you picked any large college area, you're basically deciding to shut down the town or a sizable chunk of it so the NBA can set up shop. That's not gonna fly for most places

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should probably move it to Nevada IMO. The number of cases in Nevada is extremely low.

445 new cases today in Nevada while Florida had over 4K. Nevada with just under 13K total cases while Florida is at over 93K. Not sure why Vegas was never seriously considered when you look at those numbers

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should probably move it to Nevada IMO. The number of cases in Nevada is extremely low.

445 new cases today in Nevada while Florida had over 4K. Nevada with just under 13K total cases while Florida is at over 93K. Not sure why Vegas was never seriously considered when you look at those numbers

A lot of temptation in Vegas to step outside the bubble.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you're correct saying every large campus has multiple courts. They have student courts, but those aren't set up "real" games. The teams need space and more important in the NBA's case, they need space to set up broadcasts. The reason they were looking at Disney and Vegas was because those locations had sporting complexes that fit those needs as well as the hotel space. And as for hotel space in those college campuses, yeah, they have the space. But that space is literally in the town. The hotel space required needs to be in a blocked off area, hence why Disney was more ideal for them. If you picked any large college area, you're basically deciding to shut down the town or a sizable chunk of it so the NBA can set up shop. That's not gonna fly for most places

Most do.

And I am not talking about student courts. Although those could be used for practices if needed.

JPJ for instance, where UVA plays has their main floor and 2 practice courts in their arena. UVA isn’t even that big, but definitely have the facilities to host. The practice courts are set up for media and since their aren’t fans they could play a game there if they had to. But, even if not, they could still play 3 games on a weeknight and 4 on a weekend all in the same facility.

Teams use the practice courts for shoot around and warm ups, and start the games on the main floor every 2.5 hours (6, 8:30, 11) on weeknights, more spread out during weekends. Regular season you start the games early and get 5-6 in. Just maybe like I was saying from the start don’t invite so many teams.

It could be done. Orlando and Vegas were not the only options by a long shot.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. In Orlando, there isn't shit to do out there in terms of night life and temptation. Vegas on the other hand....you're going to have a few cases of players sneaking out into the public.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Walt Disney Company

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 153,021.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guarantee you more players show up if they play in Vegas and it will have nothing to do with covid.