• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a guy I'd love to see what he could do if dropped into a more recent NFL with Brady or Manning as his QB.

Or how about Kellen Winslow playing in today's pass-happy league?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think exactly the opposite.

If there is nothing to do, they are more likely to stick in the hotel. If there are attractive options outside the bubble, they are more likely to leave.

Even then, the biggest threat is not the players themselves breaking the rules. It is the hotel support staff etc. who they will be exposed to.

I live in a college town. The town + surrounding county has a population of about 300,000 and we have 160 confirmed Covid cases since this thing started. My town isn’t the best example of a good venue, but it is big enough to support it and an example of the type of community the NBA should be looking for.

Orange County has a population of about 1.4 million with over 2,000 Covid cases and a number that has been on the rise lately. They are a huge tourist destination. Even though the players shouldn’t come in direct contact with regular people, they will be exposed to food servers and other support staff who have far greater likelihood of getting Covid themselves in a city like Orlando.

That is my point.

And it is honestly crazy to me that you all can’t see it.
The attractive options might be INSIDE the bubble in Orlando. Cannot say I've been there, but seems like they can stay where they are and be entertained in this sports complex.

your town is the type of town the players would want to escape from. did you miss the post from Mecca that showed what happens should they leave the bubble?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think exactly the opposite.

If there is nothing to do, they are more likely to stick in the hotel. If there are attractive options outside the bubble, they are more likely to leave.

Even then, the biggest threat is not the players themselves breaking the rules. It is the hotel support staff etc. who they will be exposed to.

I live in a college town. The town + surrounding county has a population of about 300,000 and we have 160 confirmed Covid cases since this thing started. My town isn’t the best example of a good venue, but it is big enough to support it and an example of the type of community the NBA should be looking for.

Orange County has a population of about 1.4 million with over 2,000 Covid cases and a number that has been on the rise lately. They are a huge tourist destination. Even though the players shouldn’t come in direct contact with regular people, they will be exposed to food servers and other support staff who have far greater likelihood of getting Covid themselves in a city like Orlando.

That is my point.

I agree with you. Didn't realize you live in a college town, same here. Can't say I like it though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

It's not me, it's everyone else who's crazy is always a strong way to back a point.

Did I call you crazy?

No I did not.

I don’t think you believe Orlando is the safest place to do this. You can’t possibly believe that. You and the others don’t seem to think it matters where they go.

I do think it matters a lot.

I hope Silver has a back plan ready if Covid numbers really start spiking in Orlando.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The attractive options might be INSIDE the bubble in Orlando. Cannot say I've been there, but seems like they can stay where they are and be entertained in this sports complex.

your town is the type of town the players would want to escape from. did you miss the post from Mecca that showed what happens should they leave the bubble?

No I didn’t miss that.

If they leave they are out.

I could care less how well entertained they are inside the bubble. They are getting compensated well for their time and they can keep themselves occupied in any number of ways.

All I care about is getting the end of this season in. And choosing the wrong venue could prevent it from happening.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a great pick and I did like your comparison to Harden but only time will tell...hope he is! lol

You definitely called it. He just needs to continue to keep his mind right.
He's talented.

It was always about what was between his ears that was the problem.

If he continues to work on his game, he could be Harden-lite.

If he continues on his college path he will be a OJ Mayo, Jr. Rider waste of talent.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didn’t miss that.

I could care less how well entertained they are inside the bubble. They are getting compensated well for their time and they can keep themselves occupied in any number of ways.

All I care about is getting the end of this season in. And choosing the wrong venue could prevent it from happening.
This is you right now :frusty: .....lol

Time will tell if this was a wrong turn.

Although I grudgingly concede that the NBA clearly has a better grip on the situation than I initially believed and that the Vets on teams in serious title contention will TRY to police their rosters, I don't believe it's going to be enough.

In the spirit of full disclosure, my stance has a lot to do with being a lifelong Clippers fan.

If something can go wrong, it will....lol

I don't care about records...

I don't care if the NBA let's teams carry 17 players...

I don't care about 1st nor 2nd round matchups.....

Clippers have the best roster and can beat anyone 4 out of 7....

Except a positive coronavirus test to Kawhi or Lou.

We are dead in the water if that happens.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but just because you cannot see it does not mean they cannot plan to remain in a bubble.

and if you think they'll leave there is more chance they'd try to leave if they were in some podunk college town with even less to do when not playing/practicing.
I was reading today that teams are looking to enhance the lodging to combat boredom.

I don't know what that would mean...video game systems, stripper poles?

But, it would appear that they are much better prepared than I gave them credit for.

In an effort to make what could be an epic battle with boredom and isolation more palatable, teams are exploring ways to make life “as much like home as possible” for their players, according to executives. That could mean options such as upgraded technology in hotel rooms, and the installation of better televisions and video game systems. One player agent questioned how tightly such creature comforts would be regulated by the league and, if not, how far teams with the deepest pockets or longest expected stays would go.

– via Dan Woike, Andrew Greif @ Los Angeles Times

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else side eyeing Spida Mitchell?

What is this really about?

Did he miss a wedding, did somebody die while he was in quarantine?

Knowing what we know, how widespread this virus is....

He could have gotten it from anywhere, he could have been exposed, with or without, Gobert's stupidity...and yes, it was very stupid.

This just seems excessive...

Big question after the layoff: Can Gobert and Mitchell mend fences? Jazz sources are adamant that they can and will, even if they won’t be singing kumbaya by the campfire, noting that they’ve had numerous, positive conversations with each other and in various virtual group settings over the last several weeks. But the question still lingers, particularly since Mitchell has declined to address his issues with Gobert publicly.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else side eyeing Spida Mitchell?

What is this really about?

Did he miss a wedding, did somebody die while he was in quarantine?

Knowing what we know, how widespread this virus is....

He could have gotten it from anywhere, he could have been exposed, with or without, Gobert's stupidity...and yes, it was very stupid.

This just seems excessive...

Big question after the layoff: Can Gobert and Mitchell mend fences? Jazz sources are adamant that they can and will, even if they won’t be singing kumbaya by the campfire, noting that they’ve had numerous, positive conversations with each other and in various virtual group settings over the last several weeks. But the question still lingers, particularly since Mitchell has declined to address his issues with Gobert publicly.

Like I've said before. The Jazz need to trade Gobert to the Celtics for Kanter and however many bench players are needed to make the deal.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's talented.

It was always about what was between his ears that was the problem.

If he continues to work on his game, he could be Harden-lite.

If he continues on his college path he will be a OJ Mayo, Jr. Rider waste of talent.

JR Rider!?!?!? Stop picking on former UNLV players dammit! Even if they deserve it. It's mean.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didn’t miss that.

To the last comment of course it could. But you have given no reasonable reason as to why this small college town is a better choice. There are holes in that idea as well.

and, yes, you do care how entertained they are as you keep saying they are going to want to leave. If they are entertained, there's a smaller chance they'd want to leave. Nothing to do? a greater chance they want to leave.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading today that teams are looking to enhance the lodging to combat boredom.

I don't know what that would mean...video game systems, stripper poles?

But, it would appear that they are much better prepared than I gave them credit for.

In an effort to make what could be an epic battle with boredom and isolation more palatable, teams are exploring ways to make life “as much like home as possible” for their players, according to executives. That could mean options such as upgraded technology in hotel rooms, and the installation of better televisions and video game systems. One player agent questioned how tightly such creature comforts would be regulated by the league and, if not, how far teams with the deepest pockets or longest expected stays would go.

– via Dan Woike, Andrew Greif @ Los Angeles Times
This is why those talking TO tlance are the real ones banging heads against the wall. You seem to have concerns (and they are warranted) but are able to find areas that alleviate your concerns as you read more about what is actually going to happen.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the last comment of course it could. But you have given no reasonable reason as to why this small college town is a better choice. There are holes in that idea as well.

and, yes, you do care how entertained they are as you keep saying they are going to want to leave. If they are entertained, there's a smaller chance they'd want to leave. Nothing to do? a greater chance they want to leave.

Where are they going?

Put them in a town like Ames Iowa (I have never been there, no idea what it is like) where the options inside the hotel are brighter than outside.

You can’t do that in a city like Orlando.

And I was very clear why a small college town would be better. Greater risk for support staff who do go outside the bubble to contract the virus.

Again, unless you are keeping chefs, hotel maids etc inside the bubble and testing them too.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are they going?

Put them in a town like Ames Iowa (I have never been there, no idea what it is like) where the options inside the hotel are brighter than outside.

You can’t do that in a city like Orlando.

And I was very clear why a small college town would be better. Greater risk for support staff who do go outside the bubble to contract the virus.

Again, unless you are keeping chefs, hotel maids etc inside the bubble and testing them too.
Seems like they are keeping everyone inside the bubble (chefs, maids, etc).

and remember though in a college town these are not college kids. They are young, rich guys with the means to get away if they want. Better to have more to do IN the bubble so they don't need/want to get away.

Then, of course, we can remember the restrictions they'd be under where if they do leave they would jeopardize themselves and their team as they might not be allowed to play for a while.

There is no perfect remedy to this and their choice seems as good as any.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I call you crazy?

Yes

Me and everyone who doesn't agree with you.

I'd also add that I think it's hilarious that you think you're smarter than the NBA and whatever doctors, etc. that they are consulting in coming up with their plan.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes

Me and everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Saying that an idea is “crazy to me” is not the same thing as calling a person crazy.

If you want to take it like that, go right ahead. But that isn’t what I said.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying that an idea is “crazy to me” is not the same thing as calling a person crazy.

If you want to take it like that, go right ahead. But that isn’t what I said.

Actually, it is. If not agreeing with you is seen as crazy by you, then you are saying that those who don't agree are crazy.

Why do you think you're smarter than the NBA and whatever doctors, etc., they are consulting in coming up with this plan?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it is. If not agreeing with you is seen as crazy by you, then you are saying that those who don't agree are crazy.

Why do you think you're smarter than the NBA and whatever doctors, etc., they are consulting in coming up with this plan?

I have stated my case. You don’t agree and that is fine.

But I really don’t like your tone here. You have been sarcastic send condescending every step of the way. Now you are making assumptions about my line of thinking just because you don’t agree with my point of view.

So now I have to be smarter than somebody to disagree with them?

I am done rehashing. Like I said multiple times, I hope the season can play out and that the league doesn’t regret their decision to use Orlando.