• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to realize you can't compare sports to any other profession. Sports can and should only be compared to sports.

You have to consider your health. If the league say we're going to play 5 regular season games before the playoffs. The Blazers are 4 games out in the loss column. Why would any of them want to play? Imaging tearing an Achilles and missing basically all of next season because you participated in essentially a meaningless game after not playing a real basketball game for 4 months?

Then can the Blazers withhold his pay?

I know I probably stand alone with this opinion but if that's the case why do guys like Trae Young or Devin Booker even bother suiting up at the start of the season when there's in no way in hell the Hawks or Suns even have a shot at the title?

Where does it end?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know I probably stand alone with this opinion but if that's the case why do guys like Trae Young or Devin Booker even bother suiting up at the start of the season when there's in no way in hell the Hawks or Suns even have a shot at the title?

Where does it end?

I think Dame will be fine if he doesn't get paid for 5 games.

As for Trae and Devin, apple and oranges when it comes to what is happening with Dame

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What should he have done instead?

Almost anything else.

Kneeling during the National Anthem was never going to work. Right or wrong, for a lot of people (especially NFL fans) it was always going to be taken as a sleight against the military. Especially since he just started doing it and didn't tell anyone.

If he wanted to do something, he could have called a press conference, started a foundation, organized some other NFL players and professional athletes from other sports to join him, etc.

Instead, he starts kneeling, doesn't say anything until someone notices and asks him... then says he's been doing it for awhile, and that he's doing it to raise awareness.

Then, when a lot of people don't take it how he intended it, he and some others acts like those people are the problem.

Wearing pig socks didn't help his cause either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dame will be fine if he doesn't get paid for 5 games.

As for Trae and Devin, apple and oranges when it comes to what is happening with Dame

That not the point. Dame signed a contract. He's an employee.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where does it end?

I disagree.

There's a huge difference between playing from the start of the season and playing out the string when you're already eliminated from the playoffs.

If you're Blazers fan, how upset are you going to be if he suffered a major injury playing a meaningless game putting, at the least, next season in jeopardy?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imo, you can't look at professional athletes like you do a regular employee.

Especially in the NBA where the health of 1 player can determine if you're a bottom feeder or a contender.

NBA teams have millions of dollars invested in these guys and their health is one of the biggest factors in the success of the organization.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

There's a huge difference between playing from the start of the season and playing out the string when you're already eliminated from the playoffs.

If you're Blazers fan, how upset are you going to be if he suffered a major injury playing a meaningless game putting, at the least, next season in jeopardy?

Dame is very durable, but yeah, if the Blazers are out of contention, then it would be wise for them to sit Dame.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also trying to influence the NBA to give his team a play in game or some chance at the playoffs.
This is exactly what he is doing and I don't blame him.

Objectively speaking, I don't think they should bring everyone back.

For what?

But, I get why he would want it.

Portland, Philly and others greatly benefited from this break

You want to face Portland in the 1st round with a healthy Dame, Collins, Nutkic?

Hard pass.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you are totally wrong.

But, I think there is some middle ground here.

Dame has had some lingering injuries this year.

If they are out of it, the Blazers may choose to let him sit.

It wouldn't be much different than the Lakers sitting LeBron when you were mathematically eliminated last year.

He's no Lebron.

But, he is the only guy on that roster that they cannot lose.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, you can't look at professional athletes like you do a regular employee.

Especially in the NBA where the health of 1 player can determine if you're a bottom feeder or a contender.

NBA teams have millions of dollars invested in these guys and their health is one of the biggest factors in the success of the organization.
Agree.

Even the teams with fringe All-star players have to be mindful.

Booker isn't a Super Star.

But, he is a max player and the best player for the Suns.

Those tickets I get for $6 towards the end of the Season would be 2 for a dollar if he gets injured and they can forget about attracting anything other than bottom feeder talent without a massive overpay.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Even the teams with fringe All-star players have to be mindful.

Booker isn't a Super Star.

But, he is a max player and the best player for the Suns.

Those tickets I get for $6 towards the end of the Season would be 2 for a dollar if he gets injured and they can forget about attracting anything other than bottom feeder talent without a massive overpay.

Two for a dollar is still too much for a Suns ticket. Could you take an Uber to a Clippers game? Can't be that much.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The baseball union is the only one with any power in sports. They will do what they need to.
Not sure it's the power as much as the owners cannot agree among themselves. If they all wanted a cap (and could agree on how to implement one) they could shut the sport down long enough to get the players to cave IMO.

also not sure the owners want to change anything as better to let the players think they have all the power. I mean, look how long it takes so many of them to make set for life money. even the best players.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok that confirms it, you are stupid. Hey dumbass, I never said anything about the CBA, not a fn word. I guess I can call Matt Joyce and lecture him, would that makes you happy? I expect no because that is where the being dropped on your head part comes in.
Haha......you kind of did tell me about your vast knowledge of how these things worked. while not having a clue how it works. Probably not a big deal Matt Joyce is clueless, but if you want to clue him in have at it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said he didn't?
Plenty. Hell, I heard guys who had been huge NFL fans for 40+ years say they'd stop watching if anyone else were allowed to kneel during the anthem again.

all talk, of course.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Papa Ball once won the dunk contest by dunking from the 3 point line. I don't remember what number he wore. But all teams should retire it.
Trying to call what he jumped over for that dunk. Rivaled Thornton Melon's Triple Lindey.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched that video. So disgusting.

The 4 officers involved have already been fired. At minimum the guy on top of the victim needs to go to prison. I am thinking maybe the Asian cop does too on a lesser charge, if not the other 2 also.

How they could just sit there and watch without intervening when the victim was clearly in distress is absolutely despicable. And it isn’t like they weren’t made aware of what was happening by the onlookers.

All it would have taken is for any of the 3 onlooking officers to say, “hey man, get off his neck”.
Fuck fired.

In jail.

They should be in Fucking jail.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where does it end?
In normal circumstances I'm sure they could withhold his pay. and, yes, certainly possible they could under these circumstances. Sure you want to piss off your best player, though, over a few meaningless games?