• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually try to avoid discussions that are even remotely political, but there's so much misinformation being spread from both sides that the average person really has no idea what to believe. The facts:

1) Viruses mutate. More virulent strains tends to disappear more quickly as the symptoms are much worse and contact with others ends up being greatly reduced, limiting exposure to new hosts. Less virulent strains tend to survive and spread more easily as they tend to cause less severe symptoms, which typically leads to greater exposure to new hosts and a farther reaching spread. Thousands of different strains of COVID-19 have already been identified.
2) COVID-19 as a whole is by far most dangerous to people over 65 years old and to those with very specific medical conditions.
3) Herd Immunity eventually occurs when enough members of a population have been exposed to an infectious disease and have developed a level of immunity to it.
4) For every case wrongfully assigned to COVID-19 there is an even greater factor of cases of actual COVID-19 that will never be diagnosed as such due to a lack of sufficient testing being available.

Given the facts, we can then debate the proper solutions. My opinions:

1) I understand the rationale for the initial lockdown as it took some time to figure out exactly what we were dealing with. I can even support an extended lockdown for certain areas where medical facilities were already overwhelmed or close to it.
2) There is no doubt we needed to isolate the most vulnerable members of society as quickly as possible and keep them isolated for now. We failed to do this quickly and effectively enough, hence the high number of deaths thus far.
3) For the rest of us, it is time to end most lockdown restrictions while still maintaining reasonable social distancing guidelines so as not to overwhelm the healthcare system in additional areas needlessly. Let the virus spread amongst the less vulnerable segments of the population and run its course. Less virulent strains will prevail and eventually we will have developed sufficient Herd Immunity that we won't have to fear another COVID-19 pandemic.
4) Wash, rinse repeat for the next pandemic that comes along, because there will be more. Let's learn from what we did right and what we did wrong with COVID-19 so that we can do better next time.
5) Please stop spreading false information that you read or heard from <insert name of biased media source here>. It's dangerous. This applies to both sides.
Yep totally agree and when this is done I bet Swedens response to it will be looked at for the future or something close to it. Shut down only if hospitals are overrun otherwise what's the point? Not to be harsh but most fatalities are people who were on the verge possibly next flu season or something else entirely. I said a month ago keep the vulnerable safe and let the rest go about their business with physical distancing measures in place. Lock down those senior homes which they've done a piss poor job of doing except in Florida bravo to them.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That just made my day fantastic news for some good people. If they get the season going it will feature a lot of players that otherwise would have been out. Go Flyers!
It will be a miracle to get this season restarted but miracles do happen. Please let us finish hockey this season!!!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imma just gonna leave this here, looks like the only one spreading misinformation was the CDC?:noidea:
Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19):

NOTE: Number of deaths reported in this table are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period.

*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOTE: Number of deaths reported in this table are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period.

*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death.
Go back and look at the totals a week ago they were 60000+, now only 37000 and some change.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man this board took a dive, is everyone still in hiding from the big bad wolf? Carter Hart is still practicing and training 4-5 days a week. What are you guys doing to prepare

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
man this board took a dive, is everyone still in hiding from the big bad wolf? Carter Hart is still practicing and training 4-5 days a week. What are you guys doing to prepare
Like Hart 'im dedicated, i've been drinking and smoking 4-5 days a week.:suds: :doobs:

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's not a lot to talk about... by now we'd (especially AWAZ) would be analyzing draft... trades leading into draft.... salary cap etc. This year, we had so much excitement about how far the flyboys might be able to go into the playoffs vs. struggling to get in. Coming here is like picking scab off of a wound. IF hockey starts, this board will light up

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's not a lot to talk about... by now we'd (especially AWAZ) would be analyzing draft... trades leading into draft.... salary cap etc. This year, we had so much excitement about how far the flyboys might be able to go into the playoffs vs. struggling to get in. Coming here is like picking scab off of a wound. IF hockey starts, this board will light up

I looked at the draft a little last week. Like you said, tough to get amped up for the offseason when there still might be this season to work with.

Ridly Greig sounds interesting. Good puck handler / play maker and huge PITA to play against. Also checks some Flyers boxes. Brandon Wheat Kings and his dad is one of the Flyers scouts. Ridly Greig - NHL - DraftSite.com. I've seen him as high as like 15-16, but I also saw a mock that didn't have him in the top 60. Most seem to have him in the 20-31 range. Seems like he could be another Konecny.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't help but watch us battle Gretzky's Oilers in game 7 of the 1987 Cup Finals on Nhl Network recently. I was too young to remember it live, but it really is pretty unreal how our Flyers battled back to force that series to go the distance. We lost 1-3, but there were some chances by Crossman, Sinisalo and Propp that could've easily changed the course of history for us earlier in the game. Also, Ron Hextall winning the Conn Smythe in a losing effort when you had a dynasty led by The Great One on the other side is something to behold.

It seems like every single time we've reached the finals since '75, we've run into a true dynasty. Canadiens, Islanders, Oilers (2x), and arguably the Wings and Hawks (both 3 Cups in 6 years).

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't help but watch us battle Gretzky's Oilers in game 7 of the 1987 Cup Finals on Nhl Network recently. I was too young to remember it live, but it really is pretty unreal how our Flyers battled back to force that series to go the distance. We lost 1-3, but there were some chances by Crossman, Sinisalo and Propp that could've easily changed the course of history for us earlier in the game. Also, Ron Hextall winning the Conn Smythe in a losing effort when you had a dynasty led by The Great One on the other side is something to behold.

It seems like every single time we've reached the finals since '75, we've run into a true dynasty. Canadiens, Islanders, Oilers (2x), and arguably the Wings and Hawks (both 3 Cups in 6 years).

I've seen a lot of those games come up on twitter and have wanted to watch quite a few. I've never really sat down and watched the old timer Flyers games. I watched the very end of the '74 final game 6 that was on NBCSN, but I really want to watch more of those games.