• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way you give up that much for a 31 year old player (32 when the season starts) on the decline...

He was a Hart trophy finalist last year.. maybe it's not that steep, but I expect your giving up at least a 1st and Farabee or Frost if you want him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i'm the kings i do that in a second.Hes 31 and is a 10 million dollar cap hit for the next 4 years. If im going to pay someone big bucks id like to throw it at a free agent like Panarin ,Duchene or Skinner or even try an offer sheet for Marner. That way we aren't losing any of the future

Offer sheeting Marner you're giving up futures too. You're either giving up two 1sts, one 2nd, and one 3rd (8.1M through 10.1M AAV), or 4 firsts if it's more than 10.1M.

Not saying it's the wrong choice, but just to have that in there.

What's a bigger risk:
31 year old Kopitar @ 10M for 4 years - 11 out of 12 full seasons with 60+ points, 7 seasons with 70+ points, Selke, Hart, and All-Star nominations galore. Plus he has something we've talked about that the Flyers lack. He's won 2 cups. He's been an alternate captain for 2 cups.

Or

26 year old Skinner @ 8.3M for 5 years (projection from the link a few pages back)- Only 3 out of 7 full seasons with 60+ points, 0 seasons with 70+ points, two time All-star.

I don't think Panarin is an option. All the conversation surrounding him, from big insiders who know, say he's going to NY, LA, or Florida. They seem to think there's a good chance Duchene stays in Columbus as well.

I'm not saying Kopitar, for that deal, is the right play. It's risky. But there's risk with these other guys too. Hayes will get way more than he's worth IMO. And Skinner has the resume of a guy that gets a contract teams regret. Decent production here and there, a couple good seasons, and then dropped 40 goals in a contract year. He only averages 55pts/82 games for his career and 30 goals. That's good, but is it 8M+ good? He doesn't bring anything else to the table, he's never PK'd, he doesn't throw the body. People get on Voracek for being one dimensional and not good enough to warrant 8M. He averages 62pts/82 games for his career.

Granted, Skinner comes for 'free' in terms of futures. Which makes him a lot more attractive. But the Flyers won't be the only ones after him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to risk Frost/Farabee and a 1st for Kopitar. Because I think adding Kopitar without taking away from the NHL squad, plus what you can still do in free agency to add defense, with the addition of Hart and now Vigneault, makes the Flyers a Stanley Cup contender next year and for a few years to come. At least until the Kopitar deal is up. And by then, hopefully Patrick is a legit 2C and can step in to that roll and keep things going.

Shit I've convinced myself now :lol:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to risk Frost/Farabee and a 1st for Kopitar. Because I think adding Kopitar without taking away from the NHL squad, plus what you can still do in free agency to add defense, with the addition of Hart and now Vigneault, makes the Flyers a Stanley Cup contender next year and for a few years to come. At least until the Kopitar deal is up. And by then, hopefully Patrick is a legit 2C and can step in to that roll and keep things going.

I think you must've had a liquid lunch today :suds::dhd:

Id give up future players for a 21 year old Marner any day before i give up futures for a 31 year old making 10 million plus who is on the down side of his career .

Panarin if we over pay for him like the over blown salary Kopitar makes (hes making too much on the down side of his career) we can get him and not lose the future.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry man this is a no go for me, I can think of at least 10 other pkayers I would target before Kopitar and no way he is worth giving up that much for.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you must've had a liquid lunch today :suds::dhd:

Id give up future players for a 21 year old Marner any day before i give up futures for a 31 year old making 10 million plus who is on the down side of his career .

Panarin if we over pay for him like the over blown salary Kopitar makes (hes making too much on the down side of his career) we can get him and not lose the future.

I really don't think Marner or Panarin are legitimate comparisons at this point. The writing is on the wall for Panarin. And the Leafs are going to sign and keep Marner. I'd rather have them too, but they're just not realistic IMO.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry man this is a no go for me, I can think of at least 10 other pkayers I would target before Kopitar and no way he is worth giving up that much for.

Oh I can think of 10 others too, probably 20. But how many of them are actually available? (Not saying Kopitar is for sure, but I think he's more realistic than a lot of other guys)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think Marner or Panarin are legitimate comparisons at this point. The writing is on the wall for Panarin. And the Leafs are going to sign and keep Marner. I'd rather have them too, but they're just not realistic IMO.
If We offer 11.5 million per for 5 years for Panarin then the writing is off the wall immediately without giving up anybody.
Ditto for Marner if we give the same offer and force the Leafs hand.Id take losing the low 1sts and 2nd for him making us a younger and faster and more skilled than we currently are.

I'd take either one for 1.5 to 2 million per year more than we would have to pay Kopitar while also losing our best prospects.

Id even vote to keep 11th pick Frost/Farabee + over trading for Kopitar and 10 million for 4 more years

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I can think of 10 others too, probably 20. But how many of them are actually available? (Not saying Kopitar is for sure, but I think he's more realistic than a lot of other guys)
I wouldn't be opposed to Kopitar but not at that price. He isn't a huge game changer at this point in his career IMO.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If We offer 11.5 million per for 5 years for Panarin then the writing is off the wall immediately without giving up anybody.
Ditto for Marner if we give the same offer and force the Leafs hand.Id take losing the low 1sts and 2nd for him making us a younger and faster and more skilled than we currently are.

I'd take either one for 1.5 to 2 million per year more than we would have to pay Kopitar while also losing our best prospects.

Id even vote to keep 11th pick Frost/Farabee + over trading for Kopitar and 10 million for 4 more years

I disagree that an 11.5M for 5 year offer changes anything for either of those guys. We don't have anyway of proving it I guess, until they sign. But I don't think either player has any possibility of being a Flyer. I think there's a better chance of Lindros coming out of retirement and playing 2C next year; regardless of what the Flyers offer.

Last point is fine. It's a lot to give up and why I wanted to start the conversation. See where we ended up.

Also, just to make sure we're clear, i'm saying Frost OR Farabee, not both.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be all in on Skinner if Buffalo can't get him to resign. And I know he likes it in Buffalo, but keep in mind that they still have not hired a coach yet. That could favor is if he hits FA. As for a dman, as much as I like Karllson, my choice would be making a deal for Trouba or maybe one of the Blues dman. Pietrangelo possibly?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be all in on Skinner if Buffalo can't get him to resign. And I know he likes it in Buffalo, but keep in mind that they still have not hired a coach yet. That could favor is if he hits FA. As for a dman, as much as I like Karllson, my choice would be making a deal for Trouba or maybe one of the Blues dman. Pietrangelo possibly?
Why does this keep coming up? Why would the Blues part with their captain and best defenseman? They are in the midst of a cup run. Trading your captain is extremely unlikely. I know its been awhile for the Flyers, but in a situation like this teams add to their talent not subtract from it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does this keep coming up? Why would the Blues part with their captain and best defenseman? They are in the midst of a cup run. Trading your captain is extremely unlikely. I know its been awhile for the Flyers, but in a situation like this teams add to their talent not subtract from it.

Ya, I don't think the Blues are blowing it up anymore. Maybe in Nov/Dec when they were last in the league, but making the coaching switch changed everything for them.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I don't think the Blues are blowing it up anymore. Maybe in Nov/Dec when they were last in the league, but making the coaching switch changed everything for them.
And that coach couldn't make it in Philly Crazy huh.