• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Roster Expectations

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he wants to be the only Japanese player on his team. So maybe my assumption yesterday that the Ichiro effect would play was wrong.

Is the spirit of Ichiro enough?

But yeah I heard that too. Also heard Maeda is on the trade block /sarcasm

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the spirit of Ichiro enough?
My read on the situation (pulled entirely from my rear-section) is that he wants to fully engulf himself into something new and wants to blaze his own trail.

Why else would you not want any of your countrymen on your team?

:noidea:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My read on the situation (pulled entirely from my rear-section) is that he wants to fully engulf himself into something new and wants to blaze his own trail.

Why else would you not want any of your countrymen on your team?

:noidea:
It may be he wants nothing to do with anything familiar to help push himself, thinking it will keep him more focused to push toward playing well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of lefty relievers have come off the market. Kyle Crockett signed a minor league deal with the Reds and Mike Minor signed a yet to be disclosed contract with the Rangers.

I would have liked the Giants to have signed Crockett to a minor league deal and seen how he looked in spring training. Minor was a concern, though, due to his injury history and length of contract he would want. Its reported that he got a 4 year deal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of lefty relievers have come off the market. Kyle Crockett signed a minor league deal with the Reds and Mike Minor signed a yet to be disclosed contract with the Rangers.

I would have liked the Giants to have signed Crockett to a minor league deal and seen how he looked in spring training. Minor was a concern, though, due to his injury history and length of contract he would want. Its reported that he got a 4 year deal.

And it sounds like he will have an opportunity to start. Not likely the Giants were offering that.

Still think Tony Watson would be a great option

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it sounds like he will have an opportunity to start. Not likely the Giants were offering that.

Still think Tony Watson would be a great option
I had read that Minor wanted to start again. The Rangers have openings in their rotation.
Tony Watson looks like a lefty worth pursuing. I wonder, if Stanton is acquired, will the Giants spend what it takes to fill out the rest of the holes in the roster?
Meanwhile, three of the freed Braves prospects have been snatched up. I've read that teams can sign them against next year's international slot money. I wonder if the Giants are even bothering to sign any of these guys.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had read that Minor wanted to start again. The Rangers have openings in their rotation.
Tony Watson looks like a lefty worth pursuing. I wonder, if Stanton is acquired, will the Giants spend what it takes to fill out the rest of the holes in the roster?
Meanwhile, three of the freed Braves prospects have been snatched up. I've read that teams can sign them against next year's international slot money. I wonder if the Giants are even bothering to sign any of these guys.

Gonna be real low key, my guess, if they manage to get Stanton. Ohtani would be wonderful too. Thinking Dyson on the free agent market, or maybe Almora if the Giants end up trading Cueto to the Cubs.

As for the other thing, I'm going to take the optimist side on this and say the Giants are saving that cash they could have used now for a really good upcoming class next July.

They've been linked to one of the top players, a SS by the name of Marco Luciano. Most people have him pegged with the Giants.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be real low key, my guess, if they manage to get Stanton. Ohtani would be wonderful too. Thinking Dyson on the free agent market, or maybe Almora if the Giants end up trading Cueto to the Cubs.

As for the other thing, I'm going to take the optimist side on this and say the Giants are saving that cash they could have used now for a really good upcoming class next July.

They've been linked to one of the top players, a SS by the name of Marco Luciano. Most people have him pegged with the Giants.

That would be cool if they signed someone this next year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be cool if they signed someone this next year.

Yeah it's flown under the radar in Giants' land because they've had minimal success and it's hard for people to get excited about prospects 5+ years away (at least), and the fact that this is a prospect that wouldn't sign until next July.

BUT it's pretty exciting indeed for those who care. After two years away they will seemingly land one of, if not thee, top players. It's expected he'll take up about 50% of their funds so they'll have another ~$2.3M to play with probably. There happens to be this Cuban pitcher, his name is escaping me ATM, but he was throwing utterly insane stuff. He's on the radar as well.

One more thing to look out for: The Giants have reportedly around 40% of their bonus pool for the current signing period still available, or $1.8M. It's possible teams looking to sign these former Braves prospects will be interested in that pool. Could come into play in a Cueto trade for example, or a trade for a CFer (as long as they save $300K for a certain player!).

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we have officially missed out on Ohtani and appear to be out on Stanton, what now?

Martinez? God, I hope not. If we go after him, than you gotta feel that Johnson and co are putting pressure on Evans and co.

Dyson and other under-the-radar moves? Meh. Is Dyson really that much better than Duggar or Gorkys? Signing him would flag an intention to not do what needs to be done, but still only doing it in a half-assed manner. At least getting Stanton shows that they would be willing to go big or go home. Signing Dyson is a sign that they are OK just not sucking.

I know this ain’t happening, but I want them to SELL SELL SELL. Trade Belt and give the job to Shaw/Posey. Trade Panik and give the job to Arroyo. We don’t have a legit 3B option, so I am OK with Sandoval keeping that warm for now (maybe Gomez at 2B and Arroyo at 3B??). Have an OF of Duggar, Slater, McParker. Trade Cueto. Trade Sammy. Trade Bum.

This should completely restock the farm so the rebuild should not take too long. Maybe actually compete again by 19 and actually expect to be a solid team with reinforcements in the minors by 20. If handled right, this rebuild should not take too long. 2 more years of crap at the most.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we have officially missed out on Ohtani and appear to be out on Stanton, what now?

Martinez? God, I hope not. If we go after him, than you gotta feel that Johnson and co are putting pressure on Evans and co.

Dyson and other under-the-radar moves? Meh. Is Dyson really that much better than Duggar or Gorkys? Signing him would flag an intention to not do what needs to be done, but still only doing it in a half-assed manner. At least getting Stanton shows that they would be willing to go big or go home. Signing Dyson is a sign that they are OK just not sucking.

I know this ain’t happening, but I want them to SELL SELL SELL. Trade Belt and give the job to Shaw/Posey. Trade Panik and give the job to Arroyo. We don’t have a legit 3B option, so I am OK with Sandoval keeping that warm for now (maybe Gomez at 2B and Arroyo at 3B??). Have an OF of Duggar, Slater, McParker. Trade Cueto. Trade Sammy. Trade Bum.

This should completely restock the farm so the rebuild should not take too long. Maybe actually compete again by 19 and actually expect to be a solid team with reinforcements in the minors by 20. If handled right, this rebuild should not take too long. 2 more years of crap at the most.
Would Martinez signal that they are going all in like with Stanton or would it be similar to Dyson due to the fact that Martinez would average somewhere between 25 and 28 million per year?
I agree with you cal, the Giants need to rebuild. It really does seem to be the only option that makes sense this offseason. The question is, will the ownership realize this at all?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Martinez signal that they are going all in like with Stanton or would it be similar to Dyson due to the fact that Martinez would average somewhere between 25 and 28 million per year?
I agree with you cal, the Giants need to rebuild. It really does seem to be the only option that makes sense this offseason. The question is, will the ownership realize this at all?
Good point on how to classify a Martinez signing. If they got him, maybe that would show the same strategy as getting Stanton. I just don’t like Martinez near as much as Stanton. Stanton, at least for the next couple years, is a needle mover. Martinez is not. He had one half season of god-like play, about a season of very good play before that. I just don’t trust that he will last the 2-3 years that I expect Stanton to last.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I mentioned in the Stanton thread, I'd be for the Dyson and meh moves only because they aren't crippling long term. It probably dooms the Giants to mediocrity, but if all goes well they're all solid guys and positive contributors.

Dyson is better than Span (and yes an unproven Duggar and certainly Gorkys). Kendrick is better than any LF option. Frazier is better than Sandoval. Watson is better than Okert/Osich.

IF the Pence/Span platoon works out, IF the starting rotation bounces back, IF all the injured players are able to come back, then you've filled all the black holes with positive contributors. I'd bet the Giants would be able to pull off the wildcard.

Now, IF some of those things don't happen, then you have pieces to trade off at the deadline. The ownership finally realizes it's time to end it and the front office can get to work.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned in the Stanton thread, I'd be for the Dyson and meh moves only because they aren't crippling long term. It probably dooms the Giants to mediocrity, but if all goes well they're all solid guys and positive contributors.

Dyson is better than Span (and yes an unproven Duggar and certainly Gorkys). Kendrick is better than any LF option. Frazier is better than Sandoval. Watson is better than Okert/Osich.

IF the Pence/Span platoon works out, IF the starting rotation bounces back, IF all the injured players are able to come back, then you've filled all the black holes with positive contributors. I'd bet the Giants would be able to pull off the wildcard.

Now, IF some of those things don't happen, then you have pieces to trade off at the deadline. The ownership finally realizes it's time to end it and the front office can get to work.
If the team goes into full rebuild mode, these moves wouldn't be necessary, in my opinion. Play out the guys you've got in the outfield to see who shakes out. Finally give Williamson a month playing every day in left field (or right field). Let Gorkys sink or swim. Have Parker get some at-bats. If the team is going to stink anyway, check out what you have instead of bringing in short term plugs.
Same thing with third base - lets see if Sandoval is really the hitter the Giants liked for two weeks at the end of last season. Try out Arroyo again. Try out Ryder Jones. Maybe even tinker with Miguel Gomez at 3rd base.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team goes into full rebuild mode, these moves wouldn't be necessary, in my opinion. Play out the guys you've got in the outfield to see who shakes out. Finally give Williamson a month playing every day in left field (or right field). Let Gorkys sink or swim. Have Parker get some at-bats. If the team is going to stink anyway, check out what you have instead of bringing in short term plugs.
Same thing with third base - lets see if Sandoval is really the hitter the Giants liked for two weeks at the end of last season. Try out Arroyo again. Try out Ryder Jones. Maybe even tinker with Miguel Gomez at 3rd base.

Well sure if the Giants go full rebuild out of the gate then yeah. But we know that's not gonna happen.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's the whole trade market to consider as well. Perhaps the Giants go after Yelich or Ozuna. Both teams are pretty familiar with each other right now.

Evan Longoria's name has popped up.

Domingo Santana's name popped up today.

Kevin Pillar, Billy Hamilton, Harrison Bader, Josh Harrison, Albert Almora. None of those names have popped up yet.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure if the Giants go full rebuild out of the gate then yeah. But we know that's not gonna happen.
Its taken me a while but I think I finally get that you are taking the middle ground, with the ownership on one extreme and me on the other. Yeah, I'd prefer some of your transactions over the crazy of Stanton or Martinez.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its taken me a while but I think I finally get that you are taking the middle ground, with the ownership on one extreme and me on the other. Yeah, I'd prefer some of your transactions over the crazy of Stanton or Martinez.

Middle leaning rebuild.

It's risky in a different sense though. Sure they aren't tying themselves down, but they could also be dooming themselves to mediocrity. Continuous 79-82 win seasons isn't ideal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middle leaning rebuild.

It's risky in a different sense though. Sure they aren't tying themselves down, but they could also be dooming themselves to mediocrity. Continuous 79-82 win seasons isn't ideal.
Especially for a team that essentially ignore the international amateur market.