• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NHL Draft

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what do we know about Hextall's tendencies in 1st round drafting?

1) He prefers to target players and move up or down as appropriate to get his guy
2) You'll have no idea what-so-ever exactly who he's targeting
3) It will almost assuredly be a center or defenseman
This is 100% on the money.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How deep is this draft and quality wise vs years past?

Comments seem to range a good bit, but it should be better than last year's draft and potentially a really good one.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I've read so far leads me to believe there will be a few good options at 14 and 19. Seems like a pretty good year to have 2 picks.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what do we know about Hextall's tendencies in 1st round drafting?

1) He prefers to target players and move up or down as appropriate to get his guy
2) You'll have no idea what-so-ever exactly who he's targeting
3) It will almost assuredly be a center or defenseman

I would also add he seems to like to draft out of the CHL. At least in the first round.

2017 - Patrick (WHL), Frost (OHL)
2016 - Rubtsov (Russia, but strong discussions of moving to CHL at the time)
2015 - Provorov (WHL), Konecny (OHL)
2014 - Sanheim (WHL)

So 5 out of 6 of his 1st rounders have been from the CHL. And overall, 16/34 total picks have been from the CHL.

I do wonder how that stacks up to other teams.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, awaz. Taking that into account (although not ruling out every non-CHL player) leaves me with this list of players who, based on mock drafts at least, have a CHANCE of falling to the Flyers at 14 and/or 19 and who seem to fit the mold of what Hextall is trying to do in that they have demonstrated a high hockey IQ and a commitment to playing D. I am also going to assume Hextall realizes he needs to inject more size into the team for the playoff wars. No smurfs this year in the 1st round:

Centers
Barrett Hayton
Joe Veleno
Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Defensemen
Bode Wilde
Alexander Alexeyev
Jett Woo
Jared McIsaac
Mattias Samuelsson

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, awaz. Taking that into account (although not ruling out every non-CHL player) leaves me with this list of players who, based on mock drafts at least, have a CHANCE of falling to the Flyers at 14 and/or 19 and who seem to fit the mold of what Hextall is trying to do in that they have demonstrated a high hockey IQ and a commitment to playing D. I am also going to assume Hextall realizes he needs to inject more size into the team for the playoff wars. No smurfs this year in the 1st round:

Centers
Barrett Hayton
Joe Veleno
Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Defensemen
Bode Wilde
Alexander Alexeyev
Jett Woo
Jared McIsaac
Mattias Samuelsson

Ill take more size for 1000 Alec.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys I want that may be around 14 possibly are:
1) Wilde
2) Lundestrom
3) Noel

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20th in avg height
30th in avg weight

Sizing up the NHL: 2017-18 NHL teams by age, height and...
(from 1/12/18)

I guess I'm willing to accept needing to add more size. But, I wouldn't let it influence my drafting too much. The Bolts are in the thick of it for the cup and they're 30th and 31st in those categories. Though, as the article points out, they're small up front and big on defense. Myers and Morin, if they make the team, immediately help the size on the back end. They'll actually be pretty big on defense with those 2 being 6'5-209 and 6'7-227.

Also interesting in that article, Flyers are the 6th youngest team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Centers
Barrett Hayton
Joe Veleno
Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Defensemen
Bode Wilde
Alexander Alexeyev
Jett Woo
Jared McIsaac
Mattias Samuelsson

I would add Kupari in there.

And on the pint sized side of things, and getting away from C and D; Farabee really interests me. I've seen him in a couple mocks at 14 now. Seems to have a similar scouting profile to Konecny.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20th in avg height
30th in avg weight

Sizing up the NHL: 2017-18 NHL teams by age, height and...
(from 1/12/18)

I guess I'm willing to accept needing to add more size. But, I wouldn't let it influence my drafting too much. The Bolts are in the thick of it for the cup and they're 30th and 31st in those categories. Though, as the article points out, they're small up front and big on defense. Myers and Morin, if they make the team, immediately help the size on the back end. They'll actually be pretty big on defense with those 2 being 6'5-209 and 6'7-227.

Also interesting in that article, Flyers are the 6th youngest team.

If they can get past the Bruins I'll have to agree with you on size. A 2nd round knockout will solidify my opinion on the matter, though. :tea:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add Kupari in there.

And on the pint sized side of things, and getting away from C and D; Farabee really interests me. I've seen him in a couple mocks at 14 now. Seems to have a similar scouting profile to Konecny.

I knocked out Kupari as the scouting reports I read indicated a high skill level but questionable hockey IQ and commitment to playing D. Just doesn't sound like Hextall's kind of guy.

He does however seem to ignore size in the 1st round and focus on that specifically in later rounds. Does Farabee have any experience at C?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can get past the Bruins I'll have to agree with you on size. A 2nd round knockout will solidify my opinion on the matter, though. :tea:

Totally fair.

New counterpoint!

Pens are 23rd and 25th. :)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knocked out Kupari as the scouting reports I read indicated a high skill level but questionable hockey IQ and commitment to playing D. Just doesn't sound like Hextall's kind of guy.

He does however seem to ignore size in the 1st round and focus on that specifically in later rounds. Does Farabee have any experience at C?

Not seeing any experience for Farabee at C.

2018 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Joel Farabee

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha true, but they have Gary's love of Cindy. Gary is a better deterrent than McSorely ever was for Gretzky!!!

haha fair enough!

I'm not opposed to adding size. What concerns me is adding size at the expense of speed. Watching the Preds/Jets game last night I felt like I was watching a different sport than when I watched the Flyers this season. They were so fast it was unbelievable.

On defense they're fine speed wise with Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim and Myers all looking to be good-great skaters. But up front after Konecny there's really not much speed. Frost should bring some, but the other forward prospects really don't project to be speed demons either. IMO they're a step or two slow in getting in on the forecheck rather than lack the size to do it effectively.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha fair enough!

I'm not opposed to adding size. What concerns me is adding size at the expense of speed. Watching the Preds/Jets game last night I felt like I was watching a different sport than when I watched the Flyers this season. They were so fast it was unbelievable.

On defense they're fine speed wise with Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim and Myers all looking to be good-great skaters. But up front after Konecny there's really not much speed. Frost should bring some, but the other forward prospects really don't project to be speed demons either.

Haha I know what you're saying and I agree. My point is simply that they are a bit too small for the playoffs. They don't need to draft slow hulks, but I think you can only have so many smurfs if you want to make it through the playoff wars. I at least want to see them draft average size players in the 1st round this year. And yes, preferably with speed. But, Hextall has earned our trust with his drafting. Not so much on his free agent signings.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I know what you're saying and I agree. My point is simply that they are a bit too small for the playoffs. They don't need to draft slow hulks, but I think you can only have so many smurfs if you want to make it through the playoff wars. I at least want to see them draft average size players in the 1st round this year. And yes, preferably with speed. But, Hextall has earned our trust with his drafting. Not so much on his free agent signings.

Agree with you there for sure. Should be a pretty fun offseason. If it's not I think we'll all be grumbling heading into next season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think today's favorites are Wilde and Farabee. I'm sure that will change 100 times between now and the draft haha