• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 (MLB) News & Transactions

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit a homer tonight

In fact he went 3-4 with a homer, 3 runs, a steal and a walk
My point is that he won't be able to play at all in 2019 if he gets TJ surgery. It is pretty impressive what he is doing offensively, especially considering the state of his throwing arm. I guess he could strictly be a DH and not get TJ surgery.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that he won't be able to play at all in 2019 if he gets TJ surgery. It is pretty impressive what he is doing offensively, especially considering the state of his throwing arm. I guess he could strictly be a DH and not get TJ surgery.

Yeah I guess he'd have to DH, which he couldn't do here. But assuming he gets TJ some time in October, he should still be able to hit by next season

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I guess he'd have to DH, which he couldn't do here. But assuming he gets TJ some time in October, he should still be able to hit by next season
I thought that even fielders need quite a bit of rehab after TJ, i.e. Williamson.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that even fielders need quite a bit of rehab after TJ, i.e. Williamson.
I seem to remember from Mac that the recover time for a position player is approx 1/2 that of a pitcher.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But if Ohtani is just hitting (not throwing), I would guess maybe 4-6 months of recovery (if not less).

Mac had his surgery in very early May/late April of 2014 and was fully ready by 2015. It would have been 5 months or less for him to return before the MiLB season ended in 2014.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to remember from Mac that the recover time for a position player is approx 1/2 that of a pitcher.
Williamson had his surgery in early May and he was ready next spring. So maybe Ohtani comes back around July of next year. However, if he's still going to pitch, he won't be back until 2020.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the timetable for pitchers, Phase 1 is about 6 weeks of very limited mobility. Phase 2 is elbow strengthening exercises which lasts four or more months, but nothing that's going to stress the new tissue. Swinging doesn't necessarily do that (stress), but it's probably doesn't make it heal any faster. Phase 3 is when pitchers get back on the mound, and takes usually at least 9 months to get back to normal-ish.

Sounds like batters are good to go after Phase 2, so at least 5.5 months. The hardest part for him is probably going to be the work on the side he has to do rehabbing his elbow, while also trying to gameplan and prepare as a hitter. Might take longer based on that just to make life a bit easier for him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the timetable for pitchers, Phase 1 is about 6 weeks of very limited mobility. Phase 2 is elbow strengthening exercises which lasts four or more months, but nothing that's going to stress the new tissue. Swinging doesn't necessarily do that (stress), but it's probably doesn't make it heal any faster. Phase 3 is when pitchers get back on the mound, and takes usually at least 9 months to get back to normal-ish.

Sounds like batters are good to go after Phase 2, so at least 5.5 months. The hardest part for him is probably going to be the work on the side he has to do rehabbing his elbow, while also trying to gameplan and prepare as a hitter. Might take longer based on that just to make life a bit easier for him.
I guess I don't understand on that is how about the throwing rehab for hitters? None DHs have to plays.

Was Williamson's TJ on his throwing or non-throwing arm?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't understand on that is how about the throwing rehab for hitters? None DHs have to plays.

Was Williamson's TJ on his throwing or non-throwing arm?

That's typical rehab for pitchers. For hitters/fielders it's shorter and theoretically for a DH it would be even shorter. I was just inferring that Ohtani could possibly be ready on the DH timeline (which frankly there is no historical reference there). It sounds like players get back to hitting within 4-6 months, and throwing a little bit longer after that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's typical rehab for pitchers. For hitters/fielders it's shorter and theoretically for a DH it would be even shorter. I was just inferring that Ohtani could possibly be ready on the DH timeline (which frankly there is no historical reference there). It sounds like players get back to hitting within 4-6 months, and throwing a little bit longer after that.
This article seems to back up your timetable - How will Tommy John surgery impact Ohtani?. What it doesn't answer is how could the Angels possibly handle him if he wants to return as a pitcher?

I should also mention I forgot how cheap a contract Ohtani signed. The scenario I first pictured, had the Giants signed him, would not nearly be as bleak as I first thought. Thanks for the education, sfgrtb and cal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article seems to back up your timetable - How will Tommy John surgery impact Ohtani?. What it doesn't answer is how could the Angels possibly handle him if he wants to return as a pitcher?

I should also mention I forgot how cheap a contract Ohtani signed. The scenario I first pictured, had the Giants signed him, would not nearly be as bleak as I first thought. Thanks for the education, sfgrtb and cal.

That's definitely where it gets tricky, and frankly the Angels and Ohtani are going to be the ones breaking ground on it. At this point it's all theory.

Does he hit 3-4 times a week and spend the other days rehabbing his arm? Does he delay his return to hitting a few month and catch-up on rehabbing his arm? Does he just sit out entirely until 2020 and follow a standard pitcher's rehab?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really know where else to post this (maybe an offseason thread?)

Next year the Giants are going to start their weekday night games 30 minutes earlier, following the D-Backs and Rockies models. So get ready for some 6:40 start times Monday-Friday.

I personally like this decision. Will it make a dramatic difference? Not really, but it makes it a bit more accessible now.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it will make the end of the night games less of a horror for the pitchers (and fans) as the temps drop and the humidity rises for Apr and May (and, dare I say it ... Oct) games.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it will make the end of the night games less of a horror for the pitchers (and fans) as the temps drop and the humidity rises for Apr and May (and, dare I say it ... Oct) games.

A certain former poster would argue that the pitchers will benefit from this... specifically one pitcher who always started the twilight games while no one else ever did

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Season ticket holders will also receive 20% off food, beverage and merchandise concessions. They're really prepping people for another down year

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A certain former poster would argue that the pitchers will benefit from this... specifically one pitcher who always started the twilight games while no one else ever did
Ay yei yei

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Season ticket holders will also receive 20% off food, beverage and merchandise concessions. They're really prepping people for another down year

Well, yeah. It feels more and more like we will get our wish of a true rebuild/trade Bumgarner scenario.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah. It feels more and more like we will get our wish of a true rebuild/trade Bumgarner scenario.
Odds Bum is still a Giant come opening day? 60%

Odds Bum is a Giant on September 1? 35%

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not THAT far, but I doubt we'll see another offseason acquiring McCutchens and Longorias and telling fans that they're seriously competing for the playoffs

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not THAT far, but I doubt we'll see another offseason acquiring McCutchens and Longorias and telling fans that they're seriously competing for the playoffs

If they don't seriously compete (or try to), then they HAVE TO do a rebuild. Can't just give up on either one.