• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak about the local angst.

You would know better than I.

But, nationally, it's people still hating on him because of the letter after Lebron's first defection.

...and on this site, the anti-Gilbert enthusiasts go after him mostly because we have been bombarded with page long dissertations on his deep pockets for the last 4 years.

Seriously, the character count used on that topic alone is obscene.

With that being said, He humbled himself enough to bring Cleveland a Championship.

For that alone, he has my respect.
well Gilbert's deep pockets did just get them a kick in the ass to their rebuild

6 2nd rounders and 2 first rounders giving up George Hill and Kyle Korver. lol

gotta give the guy credit for basically buying those picks.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anyone in the upcoming draft anyone is excited about outside of the top 3? Seems like Bol Bol could be a decent steal given his injury and former top 5ish projection.
Mid to late first round, Bruno Fernando.

Every team needs a goon.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah its from Houston- so it should not be a great pick- but shit- the Cavs have added 2 1sts and 6 2nds and only gave up Kyle Korver and George Hill.

Gilbert is stepping up and opening that check book to give the rebuild a kick in the ass.

He has added Henson, Delly and Knight to next years payroll at a cost of about 45M dollars.

Those guys will all be expiring next year though which is key- the Cavs did not have to take back any bad money going past next year.

there is a significant chance that all of those guys are re-packaged in trades next year for even more picks/assets.

The whole Cleveland roster is expiring next year pretty much except for Cedi, Nance, Sexton and Love.
And some might say what good does cap room do us, and that does have merit, but all the expiring deals, extra picks AND cap room offers a ton of flexibility.........just like their last tank.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Gilbert's deep pockets did just get them a kick in the ass to their rebuild

Oh, I do.

I don't have an issue with Gilbert and already conceded that Altman did a fantastic job flipping those guys for picks.

Did you see Portland is dangling a first rounder in return for a team eating a bad deal while sending back a expiring contract?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is possible. It's not easy but it is possible.

Well looking back at salaries for the Knicks it actually is possible. You sign KD and Kyrie, lets say that is $70M combined.

Then you trade Knox, Ntlikina and the #1 pick to N.O. for AD. He is only making $27M a year.

So that is around $97M for those 3 guys.

After the trade the only contracts you have on the books are:
Dennis Smith $4.46
Mitchell robinson $1.55
Dead money - Noah $6.43

Cap $109M
Their cap would be right around that number give or take but you only have 5 active guys on the roster and you haven't signed draft picks. Like I said not very realistic. Drafting Zion and get Kyrie+KD is A LOT more realistic and you could have pieces around those guys imo.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I do.

I don't have an issue with Gilbert and already conceded that Altman did a fantastic job flipping those guys for picks.

Did you see Portland is dangling a first rounder in return for a team eating a bad deal while sending back a expiring contract?
ughhhh.......

i wonder if JR Smith is being discussed- problem is JR is guaranteed like 3M next year--- and the Cavs are close to the luxury tax

they NEED to get under the tax since they have been "repeaters" for so long.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would've been cheaper to buy those picks during the draft. Cavs cap number for next year is now $136.6M (before they cut JR, Frye, and maybe Nwaba loose, their only non-guaranteed contracts and cap holds).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ughhhh.......

i wonder if JR Smith is being discussed- problem is JR is guaranteed like 3M next year--- and the Cavs are close to the luxury tax

Cavs are in the luxury tax for next year as of right now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would've been cheaper to buy those picks during the draft. Cavs cap number for next year is now $136.6M (before they cut JR, Frye, and maybe Nwaba loose, their only non-guaranteed contracts and cap holds).
no one sells first rounders and more....and whats the going rate for a 2nd rounder? like 3-4 million?

plus- as i said- Delly, Knight, and especially Henson, will be assets at the deadline again next year. Henson will be expiring and could help a contender.

Henson and Clarkson will both be nice trade targets for contending teams next year as expirings that can actually help.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ughhhh.......

I'm sure Portland is targeting Dallas.

They have the most open cap.

As for the Cavs...

Seeing as the Mavs just traded for Lee and Hardaway, I can't see them eating JR Smith too.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anyone in the upcoming draft anyone is excited about outside of the top 3? Seems like Bol Bol could be a decent steal given his injury and former top 5ish projection.

Depends on who your top 3 are? I'm assuming Zion, Barrett and Ja? I love De'Andre Hunter and Brandon Clarke. You can probably get them at the back end of the lottery to the late first round. Reddish has the most potential IMO, but he also has the biggest bust potential.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one sells first rounders and more....and whats the going rate for a 2nd rounder? like 3-4 million?

plus- as i said- Delly, Knight, and especially Henson, will be assets at the deadline again next year. Henson will be expiring and could help a contender.

Henson and Clarkson will both be nice trade targets for contending teams next year as expirings that can actually help.

Selling price of a pick doesn't count against the cap however. Cavs are currently in the luxury tax again with the salaries they took on. Dumping JR will get them under, but that means they're pretty much done wheeling and dealing for now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Portland is targeting Dallas.

They have the most open cap.

As for the Cavs...

Seeing as they Mavs just traded for Lee and Hardaway, I can't see them eating JR Smith too.
I think the Mavs want to keep that cap room open

i mean- they pretty much ahve to- after Porzinigis signs his extension it will be ages before they have cap room again.

They need to sign a free agent- and then resign Porzinigis. I think that was the whole motivation behind the Barnes deal- to get cap space this summer.

they wont mess with that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- its not exactly a good job by Nola- dont get me wrong- i appreciate the fact that they very likely meant to sabotage the Lakers and will likely leave Magic with his dick in his hand- but if the stars dont align and the CEltics or Knicks or Clippers- or whoever- dont step up this offseason for DAvis- it might be some rather risky revenge that could blow up in their face.

Pop right now is probably doing shots of jack and whistling dixie.
Remember all the credit LA got and the ripping we did for allowing LA to "hoodwink" us into taking Clarkson to open up an extra max slot that they never even used?

How does this compare.

Job well done, NOLA