• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz looks like a bust.

The other two look like they were picked to high.

As for Mitchell, nobody saw him coming.

Nobody.

Doesn't that make the other two busts then? There's not some huge difference between Fultz and Lonzo anyway, except that Lonzo plays more, which is to the detriment of his team.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't that make the other two busts then? There's not some huge difference between Fultz and Lonzo anyway, except that Lonzo plays more, which is to the detriment of his team.

Calling a guy a bust 2 years in is too quick IMO. I like to give guys until their rookie contract before I start making that claim.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.....imo.

Do you see Evan Turner and Marvin Williams, Shane Battier busts?

I don't.

I think they were picked waaaaaay to early. But, they are legit NBA talents.

Thabeet is a bust.

Darko is a bust.

Anthony Bennett is a bust.

They can't even blame their failed careers on injury, like guys like Oden, Bowie.

They simply weren't good enough.

I understand if your criteria is different.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.....imo.

I don't.

Thabeet is a bust.

Darko is a bust.

They can't even blame their failed careers on injury, like guys like Oden, Bowie.

Yea exactly. Some players may not pan out as a #1 or #2 pick but can still have a nice long 15 year career.

Reality not many players who are drafted top 5 turn out to be superstars

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.....imo.

I don't.

Thabeet is a bust.

Darko is a bust.

Our criteria is different then, I guess. Those three at the top are busts IMO based on where they were drafted. They are role players and nothing more. As for Evan Turner he was a huge bust, especially for the Sixers. Didn't even play good enough to keep him around or extend him. For being a #2 pick that's a bust IMO.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. I think all 3 are already busts.
Fyi about Fultz.

His flame out could be a blessing in disguise.

Remember when the Pistons passed on Melo for Darko?

Had the Pistons drafted Melo, Prince would have been buried on the bench.

More so, would they have traded for Rasheed?

If the 76ers had drafted Tatum, I doubt you'd have Butler.

Do I expect you to win a chip this year?

No.

But, I think you are another shooter away from being in the conversation.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our criteria is different then, I guess. Those three at the top are busts IMO based on where they were drafted. They are role players and nothing more. As for Evan Turner he was a huge bust, especially for the Sixers. Didn't even play good enough to keep him around or extend him. For being a #2 pick that's a bust IMO.
He wasn't a bust in Boston.

But, he was picked too high.

Like @bksballer89 said, it's way to early.

Chauncey Billups, Jermaine Oneal, CJ McCollum, Olidipo, Buddy Heild, all looked like busts in the beginning.

Jury is still out on Buddy.

But, the other 4?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fyi about Fultz.

No.

It is a blessing because he isn't any good. And I'd be fine if we were "stuck" with Tatum, Saric and Covington instead of having Butler. And I actually like Butler.

A lineup of Simmons, Redick, Tatum, Saric and Embiid looks intriguing to me. With RoCo, TJ, Shamet, Korkmaz etc off the bench(not sure if we'd have Chandler/Muscala had we taken Tatum so I left him off).

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fyi about Fultz.

No.

I've asked myself often what would've happened had they taken Melo and given the results it definitely takes the sting out of Darko

If I recall they only even had that pick because of continued deferments from trading Otis Thorpe anyway

They nearly flipped Otis Thorpe for Melo lol

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chauncey Billups, Jermaine Oneal, CJ McCollum, Olidipo, Buddy Heild, all looked like busts in the beginning.

But, the other 4?

I don't think Turner has ever been an abover average player, even in Boston. Has he ever been considered a top 100 player? My guess is probably not. I'd agree it took some time for the other to get going. I am not old enough to remember Billups/Oneal when they first came into the league. But I will say I think Oladipo and Hield were better players than what Lonzo has shown at this point when comparing their careers at Lonzo's point now. And I don't think it's quite fair to bring up CJ because he missed a ton of time his 1st two years.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a blessing because he isn't any good. And I'd be fine if we were "stuck" with Tatum, Saric and Covington instead of having Butler. And I actually like Butler.

A lineup of Simmons, Redick, Tatum, Saric and Embiid looks intriguing to me. With RoCo, TJ, Shamet, Korkmaz etc off the bench(not sure if we'd have Chandler/Muscala had we taken Tatum so I left him off).
I actually can't argue with any of this.

Concede.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, the other 4?
I'm not sure if Buddy ever should have been mentioned as a bust, even when he wasn't great with NO he shot 36% from 3. Yeah they traded him but for one of the best big men in the NBA, and he's failed to fall below 40% from 3 since going to the Kings. He struggles in some other areas of his game but his strength coming into the league was shooting and he's been a great shooter so far. Oladipo definitely could have been a in the bust category before being traded to the Pacers, he wasn't bad before that but not on the level you'd expect from a #2 pick.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Turner has ever been an abover average player, even in Boston. Has he ever been considered a top 100 player? My guess is probably not. I'd agree it took some time for the other to get going. I am not old enough to remember Billups/Oneal when they first came into the league. But I will say I think Oladipo and Hield were better players than what Lonzo has shown at this point when comparing their careers at Lonzo's point now. And I don't think it's quite fair to bring up CJ because he missed a ton of time his 1st two years.
Fair enough.

Lonzo isn't comparable to any of those guys...imo

I was just using them as a comparison for guys that had slow starts, but turned out to be really good.

Lonzo is Elfrid Payton.

He has a ways to go to be Jason Kidd.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually can't argue with any of this.

Concede.

I can understand if you're hesitant to call Lonzo a bust, everything you have brought up is proof it can take more than 2 years for some guys. But Fultz is already there and there's no going back. Had the sixers taken Tatum our current outlook might be even better than it is now and there's no question our future outlook would look much brighter. Now we have like a 3 year window until Butler/Redick start to decline. Maybe not even that long.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Buddy ever should have been mentioned as a bust, even when he wasn't great with NO he shot 36% from 3. Yeah they traded him but for one of the best big men in the NBA, and he's failed to fall below 40% from 3 since going to the Kings. He struggles in some other areas of his game but his strength coming into the league was shooting and he's been a great shooter so far. Oladipo definitely could have been a in the bust category before being traded to the Pacers, he wasn't bad before that but not on the level you'd expect from a #2 pick.
I never considered him a bust.

It was way to early....imo

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand if you're hesitant to call Lonzo a bust, everything you have brought up is proof it can take more than 2 years for some guys. But Fultz is already there and there's no going back. Had the sixers taken Tatum our current outlook might be even better than it is now and there's no question our future outlook would look much brighter. Now we have like a 3 year window until Butler/Redick start to decline. Maybe not even that long.
I think Smith is Jimmy's replacement.

He might be a Damn good one too.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Lonzo isn't comparable to any of those guys...imo

I was just using them as a comparison for guys that had slow starts, but turned out to be really good.

Lonzo is Elfrid Payton.

He has a ways to go to be Jason Kidd.

Understood. I would agree. I also think he'll only get less and less minutes especially next year because I'm sure the Lakers are going to bring in another FA to take the ball out of his hands even more and because of that be less effective.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea exactly. Some players may not pan out as a #1 or #2 pick but can still have a nice long 15 year career.

Reality not many players who are drafted top 5 turn out to be superstars
about 40% of players taken in the top 5 go on to make at least an all star team or two.