• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he recovers.....he'd be perfect next to James on a 3 year deal.

He's likely to lose his explosion to that achilles injury, and who says he wants to leave the Warriors? Sure, he can't get paid there, but he's been a miserable loser up to this point.

I'm not betting on that "if" regardless.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring is just not something the Lakers need from him. The only reason he needs to be able to score is to keep the defense honest from time to time.

IMO, if I imagine the best version of the current Lakers, Lonzo's production in terms of pts/reb/ast would be basically what it already is.

The only difference is he needs to be more efficient with his scoring.

Scoring is important to the naysayers, as it's the easiest stat to quantify.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder that Lonzo is 79 games into his career. He provides excellent size, very good defense and good playmaking.

Yeah, he needs to develop a semi-consistent 3-pt shot if he's going to make it as the level of player he wants to be. And yeah, that's a concern.

But I think the defense and playmaking he's providing the Lakers is being underrated. Its great that Rondo is his backup, cause I actually see him as a very similar player.

That isn't great at all though.

Because like @Mecca said, neither is a good fit with LeBron. Because everything they do well he does better. The Lakers would be infinitely better off with a catch and shoot guy in that spot as opposed to rondo.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder that Lonzo is 79 games into his career. He provides excellent size, very good defense and good playmaking.

Yeah, he needs to develop a semi-consistent 3-pt shot if he's going to make it as the level of player he wants to be. And yeah, that's a concern.

But I think the defense and playmaking he's providing the Lakers is being underrated. Its great that Rondo is his backup, cause I actually see him as a very similar player.

Yeah, it's hilarious that some (butthurt Cavs fans mainly) can't seem to remember that.

Mecca is right though about him likely being dealt. Not because he can't play, but because the things he does well, Lebron does better. The only edge I'd give Lonzo is on defense. But even that advantage is more about Lebron's age and it's only a slight edge because Lebron can defend more positions than Lonzo.

Part of the problem for Lonzo, imo, is timing. He comes in and the Lakers get a guy who does what Lonzo does at a higher level and can score.

As I've said, they play best together when Lonzo is running the offense and it's good to have Lebron off ball some so that he doesn't have to carry the load all game long. But you don't want to do that too much or you start lowering Lebron's impact on the game.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring is just not something the Lakers need from him. The only reason he needs to be able to score is to keep the defense honest from time to time.

IMO, if I imagine the best version of the current Lakers, Lonzo's production in terms of pts/reb/ast would be basically what it already is.

The only difference is he needs to be more efficient with his scoring.
I disagree.

What would it mean if he was a much better scorer? LBJ wouldn't have to carry so much of the work load AND the defense wouldn't concentrate on LBJ as much either - so essentially it would keep the defense honest. They absolutely need to be able to count on him for scoring.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring is important to the naysayers, as it's the easiest stat to quantify.

I think Lonzo Ball would be a terrific get for a lot of teams, including my Wizards.

But I can't think of another starting caliber PG in the league who makes a worse fit next to LeBron. Well, maybe Rondo.

Ball has a ton of skills that will make him a good PG in the right situation. Playing with LeBron ain't it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Lakers aren't going to make any move that cuts into their cap room next season. Not unless the Lakers suddenly turn into world beaters and/or something happens to make the Warriors vulnerable. Just doesn't make sense to make a risky win-now move, when they're so well setup for next season.

They'll save those moves as a plan B if they strike out on the 1st tier guys in the offseason.

Yeah, the only way I see the Lakers making a move that impacts their cap space is if they can pull off a trade for a superstar level player.

Ever since The Brow signed with Klutch, there have been persistent "Brow to the Lakers" rumors. I'm not saying that will happen, just that it's the level of trade that it would take for them to impact their cap space.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, according to the dumbass KD the 3 greatest players of all-time:

MJ, Kobe and....wait for it....wait for it, KYRIE IRVING :pound: :pound:

He is so jealous of Lebron, you shouldnt have joined a team that won without you KD. You aren’t even the most important player on your team, KD lolz what an idiot, troll, diva

lol

Cowherd was killing him for that a little bit ago.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

What would it mean if he was a much better scorer? LBJ wouldn't have to carry so much of the work load AND the defense wouldn't concentrate on LBJ as much either - so essentially it would keep the defense honest. They absolutely need to be able to count on him for scoring.

Yes and no. The Lakers don't NEED him to be a scorer so to speak. But they do need him to be able to score at a more efficient rate and score more in certain situations (like when other guys shots are off).

It's similar to Magic with the Showtime Lakers. They didn't need him to score, but they needed to him to be a threat and to be able to provide scoring when needed in certain situations.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, according to the dumbass KD the 3 greatest players of all-time:

MJ, Kobe and....wait for it....wait for it, KYRIE IRVING :pound: :pound:

He is so jealous of Lebron, you shouldnt have joined a team that won without you KD. You aren’t even the most important player on your team, KD lolz what an idiot, troll, diva

all that he may be, but i'll STILL take him on MY squad...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright here is my rebuild plan:

Step 1: fire Grunfeld and Brooks

Step 2: Beal to LAL for Ball, Ingram and KCP

Step 3: Wall and Mahimi to Phoenix for R. Anderson, T. Ariza, J Jackson and a 2nd
(Mahimi and Anderson both on 2 year deals, Mahimi's for less $ than anderson)

Step 4: Otto Porter to the Heat for James Johnson, Kelly Olynck and a top 10 protected 1st (would happily take Tyler Johnson and add in Oubre in our end also)

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright here is my rebuild plan:

Step 1: fire Grunfeld and Brooks

Step 2: Beal to LAL for Ball, Ingram and KCP

Step 3: Wall and Mahimi to Phoenix for R. Anderson, T. Ariza, J Jackson and a 2nd
(Mahimi and Anderson both on 2 year deals, Mahimi's for less $ than anderson)

Step 4: Otto Porter to the Heat for James Johnson, Kelly Olynck and a top 10 protected 1st (would happily take Tyler Johnson and add in Oubre in our end also)

Ill take an 8 figure bank account and a trip to Aruba... :dhd:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Cowherd was killing him for that a little bit ago.

Honestly, this goes back to some of our previous conversations about GOAT lists, etc.

This is exactly why I DON'T think player's opinions are more valid than a knowledgeable fan. While fans can certainly be biased, it is a lot harder for players not to be. Most players are too close to the action not to be biased. KD has an obvious agenda here. Because that is a laughably absurd position.

This is also why I have tremendous respect for former players who are able to admit that a modern player/team is better than they were. It doesn't take anything away from what they accomplished to admit they aren't as good. Just like it wouldn't make KD look bad to rank LBJ where he belongs. And that is ahead of KD and obviously Kyrie.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because like @Mecca said, neither is a good fit with LeBron. Because everything they do well he does better. The Lakers would be infinitely better off with a catch and shoot guy in that spot as opposed to rondo.
ive said this for MONTHS

that Lonzo was a shitty fit with LeBron---- that he does what LeBron does except a million times worse- and that giving him the ball while taking it out of lebrons hands is pure idiocy. Shocking that is how it has played out right?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its a valid point, but I don't know if LeBron, at this stage in his career, is interested in re-creating the 2017-18 Cavs, where he does all the playmaking.

Don't think that's what Magic or Luke are envisioning either.

Especially in today's NBA where posting-up and iso-plays are going away, its not a bad thing to have multiple playmakers on the floor together. And the Lakers, particularly, want to score in transition alot. You can't have one playmaker do that. You need to multiple guys on the floor together to really excel at that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive said this for MONTHS

that Lonzo was a shitty fit with LeBron---- that he does what LeBron does except a million times worse- and that giving him the ball while taking it out of lebrons hands is pure idiocy. Shocking that is how it has played out right?

Damn.

Even when you agree with what people are saying you got to be kind of a dick about it.

Why can't you just say something like:

"Yeah, I never thought this would work. Been saying this ever since LeBron signed".

It wasn't idiocy to think it could have worked. But, it always depended on LeBron buying into a ball movement offense. Lonzo is not a ball dominant PG like you claim he is. He is also not a bad player or a disappointment.

But, he probably will be if he stays in LA too long. Because he doesn't fit the way LeBron wants to play.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a valid point, but I don't know if LeBron, at this stage in his career, is interested in re-creating the 2017-18 Cavs, where he does all the playmaking.

Don't think that's what Magic or Luke are envisioning either.

Especially in today's NBA where posting-up and iso-plays are going away, its not a bad thing to have multiple playmakers on the floor together. And the Lakers, particularly, want to score in transition alot. You can't have one playmaker do that. You need to multiple guys on the floor together to really excel at that.

I don't think he wants that either.

What I think he does want is a co-star also capable of carrying a half court offense at times and secondary players who can score off what he and others create. I am not sure Lonzo can really do either.

But Lonzo needs a fast, ball movement offense in order for him to thrive. At this stage, I think LeBron wants pretty close to the opposite of that.

Reactions: LAD

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a player of LeBron's skillset, there is an undeniable logic in putting the ball in his hands as much as possible and letting him dictate every play. This is essentially what the Cavs LeBron teams have been.

The downsides are the physical toll that puts on LeBron over the course of a season and - more importantly - the way it kills the rhythm and groove of the rest of the team. You end up relying on role players to not touch the ball for 5 minutes and then knock down an open shot when it comes. There are some guys that can do that well, like Korver, Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, to name a few. But most NBA players are so much better at coming through in big moments when they are part of the offense, touching the ball, finding a rhythym.

Spoelstra rejected this strategy and forced an offense where the ball moved and everyone got to be part of the moving offense. It was difficult and involved a lot of growing pains, but ultimately succeeded.

The Lakers are much more interested in the Miami model than the Cavs model. There are good arguments for both, but given the current Lakers personnel and LeBron's age... I would argue that its the correct call.

Lonzo doesn't fit at all on a Cavs LeBron team. He fits just fine on a Miami LeBron team.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Lonzo needs a fast, ball movement offense in order for him to thrive. At this stage, I think LeBron wants pretty close to the opposite of that.

What makes you say that?

I disagree, I think a fast, ball movement offense is exactly what Magic, Luke, and LeBron all want.

In key moments, and at the end of games, of course, you use LeBron's ability to control the game and you can revert to Cleveland offense. But for the rest of the game, I think a fast, moving offense is what they want.