• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they beat LSU then their fans will only get louder.

That will be B2B New Year 6 bowl wins vs Auburn and LSU

Wins against two teams disappointed in their seasons by a team with a chip on it's shoulder. Also, against two teams never really considered for the final 4, so it proves what?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure that I have either. Most of the ideas I've seen have been about trying to incorporate the bowl games into it.

They have to involve the bowl games because the championship series takes teams away from those bowls. All of the bowl games would get downgraded matchups to sell.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins against two teams disappointed in their seasons by a team with a chip on it's shoulder. Also, against two teams never really considered for the final 4, so it proves what?

Proves that they can play with the big boys at least in a one game scenario.

I'm not sure if LSU is disappointed with their season.

They started the season at 25 and ended the year in a big bowl game. Not sure what is there to be disappointed about. 9 wins was a good year for them.

The whole disappointed by their season excuse is so freaking lame. Turned down the bowl game then if you're so "disappointed" by your season.

As for Auburn last season, they won the SEC West and had a 10-2 regular season. That's a great year for them

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to involve the bowl games because the championship series takes teams away from those bowls. All of the bowl games would get downgraded matchups to sell.

They don't have to involve the bowl games. Bowls have gotten out of control as is. It used to be an accomplishment to get invited to one. Now all you need is a mediocre record and a fan base that can travel.

I understand the financial incentives to keep the bowl system as is for all involved, but I think the causal fan could care less about most of the arbitrary bowl games played between Xmas and January 2nd.

Blow it up. Time for a new system.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing i would like about this "home team" idea is that it would be a LOT of fun to see warm-weather teams actually have to come to the Shoe and play in December or January.

Instead of playing- say the Sugar Bowl in fucking New Orleans and playing LSU like the Buckeyes had to do in a title game- we could see a team like LSU or Stanford or Georgia or USC or Clemson or Miami have to go to the Shoe in December.

Id love to see Clemson have to come to Columbus and play in 25 degree weather with some snow falling and see how they deal with it.

Agree 100%. It would be like the NFL. If you're a team that plays in a warm weather city and you don't want to go someplace where your snot freezes into your mustache...get better, win more games and you get to stay home.

Otherwise, let's see how you do in the cold.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets assume for a moment that the current top-5 teams in the west make the playoffs (Warriors, Nuggets, Thunder, Clippers, Lakers).

Pick the 3 other playoff teams:

Grizzlies, Mavericks, Blazers, Kings, Wolves, Jazz, Pelicans, Rockets, Spurs

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets assume for a moment that the current top-5 teams in the west make the playoffs (Warriors, Nuggets, Thunder, Clippers, Lakers).

SUNS!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the only 3 teams you can ASSUME will make the playoffs are the Warriors, Nuggets and Thunder at this point. The Thunder could sustain a major injury to George or RW and still be relatively decent. The Nuggets are deep.

The Clippers are overacheiving, the Lakers are over dependent on LeBron, the Jazz have struggled, the Rockets have struggled, the Grizz are just not that great etc....

I still have a lot of faith in the Jazz and think Korver will help them and that they have had a really tough schedule thus far and I of course believe in the Rockets, and to a certain extent believe in the Blazers.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,216.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't matter.

Every single major sport at both the college and pro levels have some type of national championship playoff that extends beyond 4 teams. That is all except D1 football.

If every other sport can make it work so can they. Baseball and basketball make it work. D1AA and D3 football makes it work.

I don't see anybody suggesting the NCAA basketball tournament should be limited to 4 or even 16 teams because of fan travel logistics. That is crazy.

Stop making excuses for what is clearly a bunch of stodgy power hungry aholes who don't want to give up control of their cash cow by expanding it and letting more people in on the action. There is no legitimate downside to playoff expansion to 8 teams.

BOOM.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only 3 teams you can ASSUME will make the playoffs are the Warriors, Nuggets and Thunder at this point. The Thunder could sustain a major injury to George or RW and still be relatively decent. The Nuggets are deep.

The Clippers are overacheiving, the Lakers are over dependent on LeBron, the Jazz have struggled, the Rockets have struggled, the Grizz are just not that great etc....

I still have a lot of faith in the Jazz and think Korver will help them and that they have had a really tough schedule thus far and I of course believe in the Rockets, and to a certain extent believe in the Blazers.

I wouldn't even assume the Nuggets and Thunder yet. Suns and Warriors are the only western teams I feel confident on when it comes to postseason chances.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't even assume the Nuggets and Thunder yet. Suns and Warriors are the only western teams I feel confident on when it comes to postseason chances.
Nuggets are in, and a lock for a top 4 seed IMO. Ask bksballer I had the Rockets scouted last year this early too :)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Teams are already taken away from those bowls. Just a couple of years ago we had USC and Penn St. play the Rose Bowl, if memory serves, neither had won their conference (at least USC didn't).

Last year, we had a traditional Rose Bowl played in the Cotton Bowl with USC and tOSU.

If we went to 8 teams, then bowl games like the Rose Bowl would maybe take the PAC and B1G 2nd place teams or maybe choose 2 of the higher ranked non-playoff teams.

You would only need to involve the bowl games in the playoffs if you went to 16 teams (which I don't see happening).

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I got blasted for saying I didn't want Kevin Durant on the Pacers, but frankly he would just be a short-term band-aid. Because we would not be a championship team even if he wanted to come here, and KD himself even said he plans to retire by 35.

If we're not going to win a championship in the near future as it stands, wouldn't it make more sense to bring in someone that could grow with the team???

Harris fits the age and chemistry of the Pacers roster and Durant doesn't. Not exactly rocket science...
Come on Clippers...Start losing soon. :clap::yahoo:
Yeah, If you can get a Durant level player, you do it.

But, I 100% agree in general.

With Durant, you need to win today.

With Tobias, you can catch the Warriors on the way down, while you are on the way up in a few Seasons.

I like to poke you in jest.

But, I don't try to Shit on you for no reason.

So, I agree with this philosophy.

Instead of a franchise player like Durant, use Ariza joining the Sun as your example and nobody would say Shit, even if they had a mouth full of it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the many reasons I don't care much about college football (yes I know some people are into it especially SEC fans) is that not only does the playoff make the bowl games mean dick, but these days the best players actually sit out the bowl games. It's all so meh. I don't think I would feel that differently if my team was one of the 10 contenders every year. Oh yeah that's another reason, there's only the same 10 teams in the mix every year.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver/OKC for WCF...And leave the fans in California at home crying foul.

What say you @thunderc @Scapegoat @Wishbone ???
Denver vs. Dubs

I'm sad about the Roberson set back and I'm fearful Westbrook will get in his own way again if we get the Playoff P from last year.

But, I love the Shroeder addition.

He's filling the role Reggie Jackson thought he was to good for with ease.

Reactions: LAD

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now for your viewing pleasure, a nice sight at a charity event at AT&T Park I attended last night:

Yes those are the actual trophies. Or would be if this site worked. Oh well.