• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you have enough data points on UGA to determine that they're not a #1 team. UGA lost by 30 to LSU and then had a chance to beat Bama, but lost. They have 2 losses. UGA looks better than Notre Dame, and to a lesser extent OU. But we haven't seen them against Bama (although I feel Bama would flat out destroy Notre Dame like they did in 2012). Also, conference champions shouldn't get an automatic bid. Sure, in your scenario, UCF would and should get a shot. But I'm not allowing the Pac 12 conference in this year because UW has 3 losses. I also feel that expanding this out takes away a bit from the overall importance of regular season wins. It used to be where 1 loss was the equivalent of a death blow. Now, it's not as critical.

I disagree. I mean, a whole expansion shouldn't happen because a 3 loss conference champ would have gotten in this year? Seriously? What about when a conference champion deserves to be in and can't get in because there are only 4 spots?

Not saying they deserve to be in because they did have a bad loss...but tOSU is a 1 loss conference champ and they didn't get in.

The "it would take away from the regular season" argument has already been debunked. What takes away from a regular season is when a team has 1 loss and their shot at the cfp are ended because of that one loss. The longer a team stays in the playoff hunt, the more interest there is their games and the more important each game becomes. People tends to start losing interest once their team is eliminated from the playoffs.

The one thing that I kind of don't like about a playoff (other than it should be 8 teams, imo) is that it takes away from the importance of some of the major bowls. Going to the Rose Bowl was always a big deal for B1G teams and PAC teams. While it's still a great way to end a season, it just doesn't mean as much when you're there because you missed the playoff.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is selling tickets to fans of the potential teams involved.
You have to consider travel, hotels, game tickets purchasing, etc.

Not really. You can have the earlier rounds played at the home field of the higher ranked team with NC at a neutral site.

The home teams stadium would have plenty of attendance. For the visiting teams fans, it wouldn't be quite as easy as a regular season game because they may have to travel farther, but it wouldn't be that much more difficult.

It would certainly be easier than having to travel to 3 or 4 different neutral site games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big Ten Champ missed out again- a 1 loss Ohio State team and its a bummer but i think it was probably the right decision, though as i said- straight up i think they beat Notre Dame and probably OU as well.

And that's the problem with only having 4. If, and I agree with you btw, tOSU would beat ND and/or OU, then we don't have the 4 best teams in the playoff.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic 23/11/15 (not a point guard) in a win in Toronto. I think we can pencil Denver in for the playoffs, probably a top 4 seed
Denver is hella good.

It wasn't too important last night because Jokic went ballistic but Millsap disappearing in big games is a pretty big concern.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football should have a 16 playoff. 10 conference champions plus 6 at large bids.

Or, if that is too much, 10 conference champions plus 3 at large bids. Top 3 teams get a bye.

IMO, every conference champion should be given a chance at the title. Even if they have no actual chance of winning it.

If college football were just starting, a 16 team playoff would be ideal. That's probably what should have happened decades ago before the bowls got to be so big.

Now, a 16 team playoff would destroy the bowls and they are just far too entrenched for that to ever happen, imo. Especially the "New Years 6" bowls.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to UCF, I have to hear it everyday from UCF fans on how deserving they are. The funny thing about our conversations is they typically go like this:

UCF Fans: We should be in the playoffs. This is BS!
Me: Ok, who do you think UCF should get in over?
UCF Fans: Notre Dame. They're the worst team of the 4.
Me: Ok, so you're going to take an undefeated P5 team out of the playoffs.
UCF Fans: Bro, their schedule was weak this year.
Me: *Blank stare*

Under the current rules, I agree with you that UCF should not get in. However, I also think it's about time a mid-major like them got a shot. An 8 team playoff would allow for that without taking a spot away from a P5 team or conference champion.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,681.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Bolts did you move to SD? You mentioned something about that earlier this year.....

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like Urban is retiring at tOSU

if he goes itll be a bummmer, but it is what it is.

7 years at Ohio State, 7-0 vs. Michigan and a National Title. Honestly 7 years is longer than i initially expected when he signed here.

By far the biggest regret is the loss against Michigan State that kept them out of the CFP the year after they won it- since that team was one of the most talented college football teams of all time if you ask me.

But to go from the Vest to Urban was great.

I am not exactly thrilled about Daye just being handedd the reigns to a top 3 program in college football, but i think he deserves the chance. There will be a LOT of pressure on him next year to beat Michigan.

Harbaugh is crying tears of joy this morning that is for damn sure.

Assuming it happens, it'll be interesting see how long he actually stays retired.

There were some short lived rumors about him possibly ending up at USC, but with Helton being retained I don't see that happening, especially if USC gets Kingsbury. Apparently he's deciding between being USC's OC or an offensive assistant/consultant role with the Rams.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If college football were just starting, a 16 team playoff would be ideal. That's probably what should have happened decades ago before the bowls got to be so big.

Now, a 16 team playoff would destroy the bowls and they are just far too entrenched for that to ever happen, imo. Especially the "New Years 6" bowls.

Oh I get that it will never happen.

But you could certainly still do the bowls in a 16 team playoff. Honestly, the bowls would be no different in that the final 3 games would still be set up the same way.

You could have the first two rounds use bowls as well if you wanted to.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I get that it will never happen.

But you could certainly still do the bowls in a 16 team playoff. Honestly, the bowls would be no different in that the final 3 games would still be set up the same way.

You could have the first two rounds use bowls as well if you wanted to.

True. But then that brings in the issue that @TurnUpTheHeat mentioned about travel.

Fans would have to try to secure game tickets, transportation and hotel accommodations on a weeks notice. That could be fairly problematic for folks who have to work and students who have classes.

The tickets would likely still sell, but much of it would be to corporations and/or people who live near the venue, are fans of the game and just want to have attended a playoff game but have no real affiliation with either team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But then that brings in the issue that @TurnUpTheHeat mentioned about travel.

Fans would have to try to secure game tickets, transportation and hotel accommodations on a weeks notice. That could be fairly problematic for folks who have to work and students who have classes.

The tickets would likely still sell, but much of it would be to corporations and/or people who live near the venue, are fans of the game and just want to have attended a playoff game but have no real affiliation with either team.

How is that any different than the hoops tourney, though?

I get you are just bringing up rebuttals to the idea that would inevitably be raised but, IMO, this just one more example of how the NCAA is more concerned about the vested interests in the existing system than A) the athletes(duh) or the B) the fans.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that any different than the hoops tourney, though?

I get you are just bringing up rebuttals to the idea that would inevitably be raised but, IMO, this just one more example of how the NCAA is more concerned about the vested interests in the existing system than A) the athletes(duh) or the B) the fans.

I guess the biggest difference between that and the basketball tourney is that the basketball tourney is typically in 1 venue for a couple of rounds at a time and, as much as possible, they try to keep teams within their own region.

So, for a USC fan like myself, if the basketball team is in the tourney and the first couple of rounds are in Anaheim (as they apparently are this year) and USC is placed in the west region, I can easily make those games and only have to plan for travel if they advance past the first couple of rounds. In fact, depending on the time of the game, I could work a full day, drive to the game after work, drive home after the game and still be in bed by 10:00 pm. lol

On the other hand, if they are in the football playoff and have to travel the East for a game and then have another game the next week in the Midwest or deep south, that becomes more problematic and expensive.

I do agree though that the NCAA is no longer about the athletes or fans...it's about money (which is another reason I think a move to 8 is inevitable).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming it happens, it'll be interesting see how long he actually stays retired.

There were some short lived rumors about him possibly ending up at USC, but with Helton being retained I don't see that happening, especially if USC gets Kingsbury. Apparently he's deciding between being USC's OC or an offensive assistant/consultant role with the Rams.
the guy has a brain cyst.

was 7-0 against michigan and lost a total of 9 games at OSU......this is not Florida---a program that he built. He was happy here at Ohio State and i think he would have continued if he could. I doubt he coaches again- not impossible, but i just doubt it.

At Florida he wasnt at a top tier program.

In a way, Saban resurectted Alabama as well. You can make the argument that Ohio State is the best job in the country. I dont think anyone expects a big fall off for Ohio state once Urban leaves- but if Saban left Alabama I would expect a significant fall off over the long term. Same with Clemson. I dont think anyone will think Clemson will remain a consitent top 5 program once Swinney leaves.

To me, i always thought the best jobs in the country were Ohio State and Texas........and then you go to that next tier with Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan, LSU, Florida State, Miami etc....

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just over 25% of the way through the season and the West playoff picture looks like this...

1. Clippers (16-7)
2. Nuggets (16-7)
3. Thunder (15-7)
4. Warriors (16-9)
5. Lakers (14-9)
6. Grizzlies (13-9)
7. Blazers (13-10)
8. Mavs (11-10)

Didn't look at tiebreakers between the Clips and Nuggets.

Who would have thought the Rockets, Jazz, Spurs and Pelicans would all be on the outside looking in?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy has a brain cyst.

Is that confirmed? I knew there was speculation that something was wrong just of of some of his behavior on the sidelines. Not that he was doing anything wrong, but more about him looking exhausted and bending over with his hands on his head (although the play of the defense could explain that lol), etc.

I wonder if it's something that can be fixed?

I don't know about best job in the country, but I can see where tOSU would be damn hard to turn down/leave.

I will say though that all of the "blue blood" programs go through their down cycles, but tOSU's seem to be the shortest in duration.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that confirmed? I knew there was speculation that something was wrong just of of some of his behavior on the sidelines. Not that he was doing anything wrong, but more about him looking exhausted and bending over with his hands on his head (although the play of the defense could explain that lol), etc.

I don't know about best job in the country, but I can see where tOSU would be damn hard to turn down/leave.

I will say though that all of the "blue blood" programs go through their down cycles, but tOSU's seem to be the shortest in duration.
its not malignant but its definitely affected him.

I think everyone expected him to coach 1 more season---- when it came out that he wasnt, i think most saw that as a reason why.

What is an arachnoid brain cyst? Urban Meyer to retire at Ohio State

Meyer, 54, has reportedly suffered severe headaches from an arachnoid brain cyst he has. Meyer previously underwent brain surgery to relieve pressure from the cyst.

I’ve been dealing with that cyst for many years and we had that surgery several years ago,” Meyer said, referring to a 2014 procedure to remove fluid from a cyst that had been causing him headaches.

Meyer’s cyst has been known about for quite some time but he reportedly affected him during the team’s game against Indiana University in early October.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Columbus is a nice place to live....sorry but i wouldnt want to live in Alabama. lol

but seriously.....Ohio State is the only game in town in Ohio- which is one of the best states for recruiting in the nation- they dont share the spotlight with any other Ohio college football team. The resources are just as good if not better than anywhere else. The fan base draws from all of Ohio (except those traitorous cunts in the northwest corner that sometimes root for Michigan).....storied history....by far the biggest TV draw in the nation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not malignant but its definitely affected him.

I think everyone expected him to coach 1 more season---- when it came out that he wasnt, i think most saw that as a reason why.

What is an arachnoid brain cyst? Urban Meyer to retire at Ohio State

Meyer, 54, has reportedly suffered severe headaches from an arachnoid brain cyst he has. Meyer previously underwent brain surgery to relieve pressure from the cyst.

I’ve been dealing with that cyst for many years and we had that surgery several years ago,” Meyer said, referring to a 2014 procedure to remove fluid from a cyst that had been causing him headaches.

Meyer’s cyst has been known about for quite some time but he reportedly affected him during the team’s game against Indiana University in early October.

Yikes. Now that you mentioned it, I do remember reading something about an arachnoid cyst, but had no idea that he had undergone surgery for it once already.

Yeah, you could see that something was affecting him, especially during that Indiana game. Sounds like he can at least get relief from the symptoms though.

54 is kind of young for a coach to retire completely, but if the pressure of being a major college coach can make the cyst worse, I could see where he might opt to just retire for good.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when people on here ripped the Pistons for the BG trade saying they'd be stuck as a 7-8 seed with no way to get better than that.....

LMAO.

I still stand by that (although I don't recall if I projected a specific seed they would top out at). I'm not a believer in Griffin in this role long-term. Besides, it's early and they're only a game out of being in 6th. 13-8 being the current 4th seed isn't impressive to me. They've played the fewest games thus far (along with the Mavs), which likely means the fewest back-backs, and only 8 road games thus far (and are only 4-4 on the road).