• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure the Lakers pre Magic/Pelinka.
Even with Magic & Pelinka, they weren't dysfunctional. They managed to handle Lavar Ball pretty well without it blowing up.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Magic & Pelinka, they weren't dysfunctional. They managed to handle Lavar Ball pretty well without it blowing up.
How about Buss, Magic AND Pelinka having zero experience in their current roles? Might not have been the best time to hire inexperienced FO execs (though I get Buss was not "hired")

I'd call that dysfunction.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Buss, Magic AND Pelinka having zero experience in their current roles? Might not have been the best time to hire inexperienced FO execs (though I get Buss was not "hired")

I'd call that dysfunction.
Nah, I wouldn't call that dysfunction. We saw GS hire Meyers without any GM experience.

When I hear dysfunction I am thinking about things that distract from the goal of the franchise. In the case with the Lakers that would've been the AD debacle. Prior to that they were playing well & exceeding expectations of many.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go with the extremes again. "light years ahead"?

when it comes to comparing players you seem like many. If you have nothing else, play the defense card. But if the metrics don't support the D then play the eye test card.

I actually watch Kevin Love play nearly every game. Is he a great defender? Absolutely not. But he is far from a poor defender. Guy is almost always in the right place and knows what he is supposed to do. And unlike guys who can play better D than him, but don't often, Love always seems to give effort.

Defensive metrics don't work. Anybody who knows the game of basketball will tell you that. So trying to use metrics without matchup context and without the eys test is a losing battle. It just doesn't work.

So call it what you want. But Steph Curry was a far better defender than Trae Young as a rookie. And I don't think anyone or any metric will disagree.

Yet, you want to continue now another multipage argument over the semantics of "not even close" when literally everyone who has commented (even the OP who claimed otherwise) agrees that Curry's season was better.

Just stop it dude.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth be told, I don't think the guy is an awful defender. I just find Extreme Boy to be funny. Everyone "sucks", "is far better", "is light years better", "it's not even close", etc.

Curry was a very good rookie. so is Trae Young. definitely a fair comparison to say it's close between the 2 as rookies....and I would even say Curry was a little better.

Extreme boy?

For someone who claims to "always interact repectfully" and to "always avoid name calling"

This is pretty funny.

Stop trying to impress Wiggy.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I wouldn't call that dysfunction. We saw GS hire Meyers without any GM experience.

When I hear dysfunction I am thinking about things that distract from the goal of the franchise. In the case with the Lakers that would've been the AD debacle. Prior to that they were playing well & exceeding expectations of many.
I definitely think what you mentioned is more in line with dysfunction but would think they've known for a while how important last summer was. You'd think they'd have someone in a position where he/she had experience.

Reactions: LAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive metrics don't work. Anybody who knows the game of basketball will tell you that. So trying to use metrics without matchup context and without the eys test is a losing battle. It just doesn't work.

So call it what you want. But Steph Curry was a far better defender than Trae Young as a rookie. And I don't think anyone or any metric will disagree.

Yet, you want to continue now another multipage argument over the semantics of "not even close" when literally everyone who has commented (even the OP who claimed otherwise) agrees that Curry's season was better.

Just stop it dude.
Pretty sure you used defensive metrics to compare Curry and Trae's rookie seasons. PER disagrees as a metric. They were the same. Let me guess. Now "it's semanitcs and I am going to go with another multipage argument...everyone agrees with you, etc. (they don't)" All that instead of just saying you were wrong.

No need to blame me for your posting style. You play the role of Extreme Boy and it's hilarious.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...he is "light years ahead" becuase he coaches children.

In fact, the fact that he coaches children is an inhibitor for him and he is too blind to see it. Its what makes him stuck in the NBA of 20-30 years ago and totally fails to take into account that the rules that govern a game with a bunch of children are very different from 6'8" 285 pound monsters that can do things that no person that size should be able to do. -and that is the 100% truth. You see it a lot from people who never made it and are bitter about it- they try and act like their tiny bit of knowledge taken from their tiny little corner is actually applicable. As i said- a hindrance more than a help.

I run into something similar when I deal with clients who might have some limited experience in the law, i.e. were real estate agents and have some knowledge about tax liens, or had past cases etc....Every situation is different and is more about the process then knowledge. When you think you can rely on knowledge you can fuck up big time. Applying knowledge from coaching children to the NBA is when you can get crazy ideas like Mathew Dellavadova helps the Cavs more than Kyrie Irving. That shit is simply just not applicable. It actually can makeyou dangerously wrong to rely on that knowledge because you can be just so sure you are right that it borders on delusion. thats where our buddy is.

Liar.

I never said that about Delly. You have tried to post my exact quote before and been proven wrong multiple times.

You also say I am stuck in the past based solely on my Kyrie commentary which is also intentionally misinterpreted by you.

If you can't post a full, exact quote from me that claims what you want to imply about me than STFU. And fact is you can't because I didn't say it. You lying about it after the fact doesn't make it so.

I detest 90s NBA. It was horrible basketball. I am all in on pace and space and have been for a long time. You are wrong like always.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extreme boy?

For someone who claims to "always interact repectfully" and to "always avoid name calling"

This is pretty funny.

Stop trying to impress Wiggy.
You think Extreme Boy is on the level of calling someone a retard, autistic, stupid, etc because of a differing opinion?

But if you are offended my apologies.

And I have disagreed with Wiggy on many occasions and have told him. In fact, I think I was the first to say him calling Bam a poor man's TT was off base.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely think what you mentioned is more in line with dysfunction but would think they've known for a while how important last summer was. You'd think they'd have someone in a position where he/she had experience.
Agreed. They should've tried to keep Mitch in place & have Pelinka shadow him last season prior to making him the GM.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure you used defensive metrics to compare Curry and Trae's rookie seasons. PER disagrees as a metric. They were the same. Let me guess. Now "it's semanitcs and I am going to go with another multipage argument...everyone agrees with you, etc. (they don't)" All that instead of just saying you were wrong.

No need to blame me for your posting style. You play the role of Extreme Boy and it's hilarious.

The part you disagreed with is the "not even close". Not who was better. Yes. That is semantics.

PER doesn't measure efficicieny though. Or at least it doesn't do it well. If you knew how it was calculated you wouldn't use it in an efficiency debate. Efficiency is a factor, but PER heavily favors per minute production over actual efficiency.

I have been fairly polite to you up until now. Don't be a douche.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Extreme Boy is on the level of calling someone a retard, autistic, stupid, etc because of a differing opinion?

But if you are offended my apologies.

And I have disagreed with Wiggy on many occasions and have told him. In fact, I think I was the first to say him calling Bam a poor man's TT was off base.

I am not offended.

But you claim to be above that type of stuff. And it really is the same exact behavior.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part you disagreed with is the "not even close". Not who was better. Yes. That is semantics.

PER doesn't measure efficicieny though. Or at least it doesn't do it well. If you knew how it was calculated you wouldn't use it in an efficiency debate. Efficiency is a factor, but PER heavily favors per minute production over actual efficiency.

I have been fairly polite to you up until now. Don't be a douche.
Asking to be polite by being impolite? But if you are offended, I apologize.

You used PER to help enhance your point. so you think it matters or it doesn't?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not offended.

But you claim to be above that type of stuff. And it really is the same exact behavior.
Again, I wouldn't call Extreme Boy the same exact behavior as calling someone retard, autistic or stupid.

also, kind of extreme, wouldn't you say?

Extreme Guy OK? I kid...I kid.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asking to be polite by being impolite? But if you are offended, I apologize.

You used PER to help enhance your point. so you think it matters or it doesn't?

Please show me where I used PER in the Curry/Young debate.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I wouldn't call Extreme Boy the same exact behavior as calling someone retard, autistic or stupid.

also, kind of extreme, wouldn't you say?

Extreme Guy OK? I kid...I kid.

Let me ask you this:

What is your intent by calling me extreme boy?

Is it not to make fun of me? Because I can't think of another goal there. And calling someone stupid or another name is the exact same goal.

So yeah, it is the same behavior that you claim not to use.

Reactions: LAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you this:

What is your intent by calling me extreme boy?

Is it not to make fun of me? Because I can't think of another goal there. And calling someone stupid or another name is the exact same goal.

So yeah, it is the same behavior that you claim not to use.
First, my claim is I rarely call anyone names. Second, to me it seemed harmless. Also takes up less writing than asking "why do you go to the extreme with so many of your comments"?

If I said I try never to physically hurt anyone that pinching them and shooting them in the face is the same, too?

Yes, that was extreme. Figured you'd like it that way.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3