• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just cant give any team that is under .500 with LeBron a high lotto pick. i mean cmon now. I mean he missed less than a quarter of the season with his injury. I know it was a singificant injury and a big deal- but in the grand scheme of things to get to what? itll be like 34 wins MAYBE with LeBron having an injury that kept him out for less than a 1/4 of the year is purty bad slugger.
Ball missed time, Ingram missed time, James and Rondo. Hart and others.

It was a perfect storm of injuries AND CLUST-FUCKERY.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So on what did you base Curry being the better defender as a rookie?

I looked at 3 and none were close if you must know.

Defensive win shares, DBPM, and steal %

And while defensive metrics are very imperfect, it can sometimes work when comparing players who play the same position. Comparing a power forward to a guard is apples to oranges and does not apply. Because obviously Love's defensive win share totals are driven by his rebounding rate.

Curry was much better than Young in all 3 stats.

Curry:
DWS 1.6
DBPM -.7
Steal % 2.5 with 1.9 per game

Young:
DWS .7
DBPM -2.9
Steal % 1.2 with .8 per game

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol dont you understand?

when the metrics are for his argument- they are solid gold

when they are against his argument- its "my eyes that have watched countless children play basketball are worth more than any unreliable statistic".

does it really surprise you? shouldnt at this point

Yeah, because comparing a PF to an SG makes a lot of sense in a stat where rebounding is a large part of the equation.

And you keep bringing up my coaching experience like it is a negative. Because surely you learn so much more about basketball from "reading articles" than I do by actually working in the field and playing the sport all my life.

Makes sense.

The reality is that you can't beat me in a basketball debate and you are threatened by me so your only recourse is antics to distract and discredit.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball missed time, Ingram missed time, James and Rondo. Hart and others.

It was a perfect storm of injuries AND CLUST-FUCKERY.
Many expect the Lakers’ braintrust of Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka to land a big-the free agent come July.

But Bill Oram of The Athletic says Los Angles might have to pump its brakes on such expectations.

“And the timing here is crucial,” Oram writes. “The Lakers need to project stability going into yet another critical offseason if they hope to attract a second superstar to pair with James.”

Oram goes on to say free agents — a class which includes the likes of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Kemba Walker — will go down the same path this summer as George did last July.

“After Paul George ignored the Lakers last summer, most league insiders believe the biggest names in this year’s loaded class of free agents will follow his lead,” Oram said.

Insider expects top free agents to spurn Lakers this summer

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be interesting. Lakers have the history and the top player in the game right now, very surprised to see they can't get more free agents to sign there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at 3 and none were close if you must know.

Defensive win shares, DBPM, and steal %

And while defensive metrics are very imperfect, it can sometimes work when comparing players who play the same position. Comparing a power forward to a guard is apples to oranges and does not apply. Because obviously Love's defensive win share totals are driven by his rebounding rate.

Curry was much better than Young in all 3 stats.

Curry:
DWS 1.6
DBPM -.7
Steal % 2.5 with 1.9 per game

Young:
DWS .7
DBPM -2.9
Steal % 1.2 with .8 per game
defensive win shares? You sure you want to use a metric that would place JJ Redick far above Klay Thompson this season (and they play the same position)?
Players Defense

seems like points per 100 possessions is also one that is often used to gauge defense.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should add, @tlance Curry's D as a rookie was pretty bad by those metrics. Maybe Young has been worse, but not sure I'd call a bad defender far better than anyone defensively.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should add, @tlance Curry's D as a rookie was pretty bad by those metrics. Maybe Young has been worse, but not sure I'd call a bad defender far better than anyone defensively.
but you dont understand- he has watched tons of 16 year olds play defense!!! he knows what good defense is!!!! lol.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kyrie not playing in cleveland again....has not played in cleveland but the one opening night game hayward busted his leg.

"load management"

load in his pants more like it

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
defensive win shares? You sure you want to use a metric that would place JJ Redick far above Klay Thompson this season (and they play the same position)?
Players Defense

seems like points per 100 possessions is also one that is often used to gauge defense.

Like I said.

They are all very imperfect. And because Klay always guards the best and Reddick gets hidden on the worst offensive player, their is no way to measure it accurately.

Also why I didn't go into too much detail to avoid this conversation.

But Curry was somewhat near league average defender (probably slightly below) and Young is one of the worst in the NBA.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching kids is an admirable thing......only a supreme douche-bag/asshole would mock that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many expect the Lakers’ braintrust of Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka to land a big-the free agent come July.

But Bill Oram of The Athletic says Los Angles might have to pump its brakes on such expectations.

“And the timing here is crucial,” Oram writes. “The Lakers need to project stability going into yet another critical offseason if they hope to attract a second superstar to pair with James.”

Oram goes on to say free agents — a class which includes the likes of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Kemba Walker — will go down the same path this summer as George did last July.

“After Paul George ignored the Lakers last summer, most league insiders believe the biggest names in this year’s loaded class of free agents will follow his lead,” Oram said.

Insider expects top free agents to spurn Lakers this summer

Lets see:

KD - stays in GS or goes to maybe NY/Brooklyn. I think pretty much everyone would agree, there is no reason for him to go to LA for a ton of OBVIOUS reasons.

Kawhi - Seems happy in Toronto but still rumors saying he didn't want to play with Lebron or a destination would be the Clippers or another team.

Kyrie - Already played with Lebron and asked to be traded. Kinda obvious.

Jimmy Butler - probably will stay with Philly but really never heard about any rumors he wanted to go to LA or anything like that. Not sure it is the best fit anyway.

Kemba - probably stays in Charlotte but they have Ball? I don't really see it happening but who knows.

Who else is there? Cousins? lol...trade for Beal. That's about it. How are the Lakers getting that much better unless the young players progress or they get another star alongside Lebron. If those two things don't happen, they could make the playoffs if Lebron doesn't get injured like he did on a fluke injury this season but I don't see them getting a star this year unless they traded some young players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you dont understand- he has watched tons of 16 year olds play defense!!! he knows what good defense is!!!! lol.

I tell you what.

Put my resume against yours and who do you think is better qualified to judge basketball talent?

You bring up my coaching experience 15 times for every occasion that I do. Again, like it is some kind of negative in a basketball forum.

LOL.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players Defense

JJ is 8th? in what world. Kyrie is ahead of Klay. A lot of great defensive players at the top but then you see some head scratchers. Not one stat is perfect though

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tell you what.

Put my resume against yours and who do you think is better qualified to judge basketball talent?

You bring up my coaching experience 15 times for every occasion that I do. Again, like it is some kind of negative in a basketball forum.

LOL.

Special kind of stupidity.....SMH.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying the Lakers would have forced Ingram to play the rest of the season w/ venous thrombosis (condition casued by a blood clot) if they were still in the playoff hunt? Yeah okay wiggy.:crazy:

the guy will ALWAYS be guided by his hatred and homerism.. .

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying the Lakers would have forced Ingram to play the rest of the season w/ venous thrombosis (condition casued by a blood clot) if they were still in the playoff hunt? Yeah okay wiggy.:crazy:

He wanted Bosh to play with blood clots, remember...?

Or at least used that situation against the Heat fans...