• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic and Pelinka showed their "greenness" by responding to leaks and rumors of demands instead of being more professional. They'll learn from it for future negotiations. Like him or not, Kupchak knew how to keep negotiations quiet until they were locked down.

Yeah, I think Jeanie made 1 and possibly 2 mistakes when she took over. I said at the time that Mitch should have been kept on. If not as GM, then in an advisory capacity. I think he would have told them to keep the whole thing as quiet as possible.

Assuming that the rumor that The Logo wanted to come back to the Lakers in an advisory role is true...her 2nd mistake was not hiring him. He's assisting the Clips and the Clips have made some moves which tells me that The Logo likely has something up his sleeve for this off-season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron for some reason does not realize that part of the deal with being an NBA player is you can get traded. Its one of the reasons the fans have so much intereset in the league and its one of the reasons the players get paid so much money.

If LeBron really thinks that a player should be able to sign a multi year deal and whine his way out of it long before it is over he is an idiot.

Can you imagine if that was regular protocol? All we would have is like 5-6 teams of all stars and then a bunch of total crap. It would not be good for the health of the game- its already getting that way.

The next time the CBA is up I can see some interesting changes being pushed that is for sure.

I think #1 should be each team gets 1 "designated player" that they can pay as much as they want and they do not count against the cap- like in Major League Soccer.
I don't know about that last idea, but I'd like to see a franchise player like the NFL.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you kidding me?

please dont "push" at all.

I would rather got a top pick then an 8 seed and get slaughtered in the first round.

Cavs did well for themselves- but make no mistake- Dan Gilbert just took on about 35M dollars of extra money next year to buy a bunch of picks in a lost season.

I wonder how many owners in the NBA would do that. To take on 35M+ in future commitments during a lost season.

8 seed was never achievable, no worries there.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 seed was never achievable, no worries there.
well especially once Love got hurt and they started trading everyone.

But that was good- it gave them cover to do what they are doing.

the League is not going to let another Philly "Process" play out for multiple years - they have made that clear.

The league is going to step in if a team does what Philly did long before it gets into years 3, 4, 5, like Philly.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they are overpaid. Which the Cavs routinely did.
TT is far from overpaid compared to many. Most guys who hit FA and are not minimum or max guys are overpaid.

It was sign TT, JR or no one.

But wont change you were wrong.........And Korver was not overpaid, while Wade signed a minimum deal to come.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. They've been streaky all year. Last night was ridiculous. They set a franchise record for 3's in a game.

I just looked at the box score. 22-41 from the arc? Yowza! You willl win a lot of games with shooting like that. Of course the 7-18 from the stripe was not so yowza and made that game go down to the wire

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron for some reason does not realize that part of the deal with being an NBA player is you can get traded. Its one of the reasons the fans have so much intereset in the league and its one of the reasons the players get paid so much money.

If LeBron really thinks that a player should be able to sign a multi year deal and whine his way out of it long before it is over he is an idiot.

Can you imagine if that was regular protocol? All we would have is like 5-6 teams of all stars and then a bunch of total crap. It would not be good for the health of the game- its already getting that way.

I really kind of on the fence on this one.

On the one hand, I'm pretty old school and think that players should play out their current contract for their current team before attempting to negotiate their next contract and/or move on to their next team.

On the other hand, unless a player is one of a handful that has a no trade clause, they can be traded whether their contract is up or not. If teams don't have to stick with a player until the end of his contract, why should the player have to stick with the team?

I think #1 should be each team gets 1 "designated player" that they can pay as much as they want and they do not count against the cap- like in Major League Soccer.

Interesting idea. That might be the way to go since players at that level are never going to get paid what they are actually worth. They still won't, but they could get a lot closer.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at the box score. 22-41 from the arc? Yowza! You willl win a lot of games with shooting like that. Of course the 7-18 from the stripe was not so yowza and made that game go down to the wire

Only this Lakers team could shoot a higher percentage from 3 than from the free throw line. :L

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well especially once Love got hurt and they started trading everyone.

But that was good- it gave them cover to do what they are doing.

the League is not going to let another Philly "Process" play out for multiple years - they have made that clear.

The league is going to step in if a team does what Philly did long before it gets into years 3, 4, 5, like Philly.

Agreed. Getting stuck consistently in the late lottery (or even late seed playoffs) doesn't serve anyone well. You'll hit that level on your way back up, but stalling there is bad news, especially if your cap isn't managed well.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the one hand, I'm pretty old school and think that players should play out their current contract for their current team before attempting to negotiate their next contract and/or move on to their next team.

On the other hand, unless a player is one of a handful that has a no trade clause, they can be traded whether their contract is up or not. If teams don't have to stick with a player until the end of his contract, why should the player have to stick with the team?

Interesting idea. That might be the way to go since players at that level are never going to get paid what they are actually worth. They still won't, but they could get a lot closer.
A team DOES have to stick with a player.

Once that player signs the contract- he is getting paid no matter what- no matter if he sucks, if he stops trying, if he gets hit by a bus, if he tears his achilees.

If you are nervous about not wanting to stay with a team- here is an idea- do not VOLUNTARILY sign a long term contract- just go year to year.

if the team could just cut a player and get rid of him and not pay their contract- maybe he has a point- but when a player signs VOLUNTARILY on that dotted line for a number of years they should realize what they are committing themsevles too- that they are taking this HUMONGOUS amount of guaranteed money and are an employee providing a service to an employer.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The player is getting paid either way, though. The player is taken care of.

I'm sure relocating cities is annoying... but that's the "worst" type of 1st world problem. They can dry their tears with $100 bills. ;)

OTOH, a team can't really be a team and a franchise can't be a healthy long term franchise if individual players are doing their own thing and going against their contract.

No?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only this Lakers team could shoot a higher percentage from 3 than from the free throw line. :L

Those free throws almost cost them the game. Most of the misses were early as they fell behind, but that just can't continue to happen.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess the answer to your question is it is in the CBA. Sign a player he can be traded and is fully guaranteed for life of the deal (unless written otherwise.)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Getting stuck consistently in the late lottery (or even late seed playoffs) doesn't serve anyone well. You'll hit that level on your way back up, but stalling there is bad news, especially if your cap isn't managed well.
plus as i said- i dont even think the league is going to allow a long term "The Process" again which happened in Philly

they arent going to allow a team to keep drafting injured guys like Noel and Embiid, and be bad for so many years straight before actively trying to get better.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The player is getting paid either way, though. The player is taken care of.

I'm sure relocating cities is annoying... but that's the "worst" type of 1st world problem. They can dry their tears with $100 bills. ;)

OTOH, a team can't really be a team and a franchise can't be a healthy long term franchise if players are doing their own thing and going against their contract.

No?
exactly

the league isnt "the league" anymore if that shit happens. its just a collection of assholes with "brands" - no one wants to watch that.