• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is not Trevino on the roster? Keeping 4 catchers is not the norm. Think Centeno is out of options and the better catcher defensively. Now who we keep on the bench is a definite byproduct of SP being able to eat innings and alleged/modified 6 man rotation which may or may not take place. So short answer No not about a 40 man spot

This is all why I think Calhoun starts year in AAA as well as give Rangers more player control
So, he gets cut from the 40 man roster when the 23rd pitcher is added to the 40 man roster, but it isn't about the 40 man roster spot?!?!

Lol

By the way, having 4 catchers on your 40 man roster isn't rare at all.

No matter how many catchers we carry, this team is lacking when it comes to quality in the pitching department.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s code for “ maybe they will actually contribute this year”

In fairness tho, I remember Robinson contributed when he got AB’s so the comment is mainly directed towards Rua.
Your memory is a little fuzzy and a little selective. Neither has contributed much when played sparingly. When played on a regular basis Robinson did fine and Rua did very well.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your memory is a little fuzzy and a little selective. Neither has contributed much when played sparingly. When played on a regular basis Robinson did fine and Rua did very well.

I recall Rua sucking when I watched him

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty close to a regular season lineup today

Other than Calhoun & Cenceno it sure is.

It seems it's pretty much a given that Calhoun has to get regular time in LF, for a while anyway.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Calhoun & Cenceno it sure is.

It seems it's pretty much a given that Calhoun has to get regular time in LF, for a while anyway.
LF is going to get crowded if someone other that DDJ steps in and takes over CF.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LF is going to get crowded if someone other that DDJ steps in and takes over CF.

True enough. But Calhoun has only one chance to get on the field and that's LF.

This is part of the reason 2018 can be really exciting although without the post season being in the mix.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s code for “ maybe they will actually contribute this year”

In fairness tho, I remember Robinson contributed when he got AB’s so the comment is mainly directed towards Rua.

Rua also contributes when he gets ABs

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua also contributes when he gets ABs
I agree but if this were any team other than the Rangers, Rua and Robinson would not be talked about except as good platoon/bench players. it speaks volumes about how poor this team is in the area of starting players when we have to talk about them in terms of starters

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hear anyone talking about them as starters, Only way they start is if Calhoun starts in AAA

But between the 2 of them they can cover just about every position on the field (except catcher) at least for a short time

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hear anyone talking about them as starters, Only way they start is if Calhoun starts in AAA

But between the 2 of them they can cover just about every position on the field (except catcher) at least for a short time

Which is what I expect to happen But w platoon could work and if we have a short bench to start out year, then having versatile players is a must. Plus they get a tryout.

We did not buy expensive pitching so we have to see what our young guys can do

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but if this were any team other than the Rangers, Rua and Robinson would not be talked about except as good platoon/bench players. it speaks volumes about how poor this team is in the area of starting players when we have to talk about them in terms of starters
There are several teams as bad or worse than the Rangers so they would probably be talked about in several other places, especially Rua. Even here, neither one will be starting much more than half our games if that many.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a good year to start some young guy in LF and leave him alone for 3 months and see what he can do. Just pick someone and go with him. I don't think there is any way they do that though. If some veteran struggles for 2 months they leave him in the lineup though. We have seen that with Prince, Choo, Odor, Desmond, Lucroy and Napoli over the past few years. Pick Rua or Calhoun and have the same patience with them as they had with all those other guys and see what happens. There is nothing to lose.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a good year to start some young guy in LF and leave him alone for 3 months and see what he can do. Just pick someone and go with him. I don't think there is any way they do that though. If some veteran struggles for 2 months they leave him in the lineup though. We have seen that with Prince, Choo, Odor, Desmond, Lucroy and Napoli over the past few years. Pick Rua or Calhoun and have the same patience with them as they had with all those other guys and see what happens. There is nothing to lose.
Very good Bennie.:clap:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is what I expect to happen But w platoon could work and if we have a short bench to start out year, then having versatile players is a must. Plus they get a tryout.

We did not buy expensive pitching so we have to see what our young guys can do

I could be wrong because I don’t really focus on other teams and what they’re doing, but it seems like the rangers are the most “platoon happy” organization in the mlb.

I’m not a big fan of platoons because whoever we have at the helm as manager usually sits the guy who is playing well. It makes a bad situation worse because the “ cold” guy is usually in there.

The 3 headed platoon in left field was the all time worst tho.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that Odor is hitting a measly .143 in spring training so far.

Hopefully his walk totals are still up at least.