• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are you physically, first off? Does your arm feel more fresh this year having pitched so little last year? What "poundage" adds to your velocity?

Jake Diekman: "I feel great. Everything feels amazing. It definitely feels stronger. My velocity is up a tick already. Now it's just about honing stuff in.

"Lower body -- if you add to your lower body I feel like... It'll take stress of your arm so you don't have to really whip it anymore.

"We hired a dietitian to cook for us. Like lunch and dinner everyday. She did amazing. So we just like introduced new foods every third day and then I was just crushing food. ... We did the budget thing, and she added new foods every third day and whatever doesn't work for you, tell me and we'll change it from there. I love tofu now. Yeah, big fan!"

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how the light ST workload will affect Beltre this year? He has had a tendency to be a slow starter most years anyway. I wonder if this makes him start off even slower. Of course, a slow start for Adrian would be a great start for some guys.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 25-man rosters I think a 6-man rotation is not a realistic long-term option. It is more of a gimmick. This organization has had a hard time acquiring/developing 5 quality starting pitchers in a given season. Having 6 of them would be a near miracle.

Overall, I think it means less innings per start out of your starters so that means an overworked bullpen. The 5 plus 1 concept means that "plus 1" guy is starting so infrequently that he is even less likely to get into a groove. That would probably mean he would be exiting games even sooner than if it was a straight 6-man rotation.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 25-man rosters I think a 6-man rotation is not a realistic long-term option. It is more of a gimmick. This organization has had a hard time acquiring/developing 5 quality starting pitchers in a given season. Having 6 of them would be a near miracle.

Overall, I think it means less innings per start out of your starters so that means an overworked bullpen. The 5 plus 1 concept means that "plus 1" guy is starting so infrequently that he is even less likely to get into a groove. That would probably mean he would be exiting games even sooner than if it was a straight 6-man rotation.
do we even have 1 quality starter right now?

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noticed the Rangers did not keep Pete Kozma in the off season...

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to think the bullpen is going to be a shitshow this year.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was because he wasn't healthy. He only got 12 AB last ST.

There's no question it was because he wasn't healthy. He came to camp hurt and then went and played in the World Baseball classic or whatever it's called and got more hurt.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with Saddles in that I don't think that highly of a 6 man rotation. We reduce an already BP that will make us nervous with 6 starters who for the most part are just average at best. We are going to need the BP a lot. And Diekman and Kela better throw strikes. I know it is just BP but they have shown this side of them in the regular season in the past.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with Saddles in that I don't think that highly of a 6 man rotation. We reduce an already BP that will make us nervous with 6 starters who for the most part are just average at best. We are going to need the BP a lot. And Diekman and Kela better throw strikes. I know it is just BP but they have shown this side of them in the regular season in the past.

Well perhaps we will see them split the middle. A modified 6 man rotation to start the year. Some of these guys like Minor or Bush even if they make rotation csn not. Early approach 200 innings. But a guy like Hamels won't miss his normal rest. More DL for SP I think so they can not overdo these guys.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they would consider having the 5th rotation spot be a tandem starter spot. They have used tandem starters in the minors before.