• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole Hamels doesn't want 6-man Texas rotation

It's not part of baseball," Hamels said after he allowed four earned runs on five hits in 2 1/3 innings in a 9-4 loss to the Giants on Saturday. "I know that's the new analytical side of trying to reinvent the wheel, but I was brought up in the Minor Leagues on the five-man, and that's what I'm designed and conditioned for. That's the mental side of how you prepare, how you get ready for games, how you condition your body. You throw in the six-man, you might as well be in college. ... That's just not what MLB is to me. That's not how I learned from my mentors, and that's not the type of way that I'm here to pitch.

"I've never prepared for that, I've never had to learn that, and to learn it this late and where I am ... maybe if I was 40 trying to still hang on, I'd do anything."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010 our ST record was 10-19.

In 2011 our ST record was 13-16.

So no, the ST record is not indicative of regular season results.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Bush continues transition to starting

Bush allowed two solo homers and walked two batters, but he looked sharp in retiring three batters in a row in the fifth inning and said he was pleased with the outing.

"I felt outstanding. My body felt great, my arm feels great," he said. "I'm very happy to be able to throw that many pitches. [It was] the first time I've thrown that many innings since the '16 [Double-A] playoffs."

Pitch speed is not displayed on the scoreboard at Scottsdale Stadium, but Bush thought his velocity was on par with his better readings from recent years. He has consistently thrown in the 98-mph range since joining the Rangers.

"My fastball felt very powerful," he said. "I didn't have a very good feel on my curveball today, [but the] slider felt great. I threw a couple changeups. I felt like the speed differential was great. I wouldn't be surprised if [the fastball velocity] was high."

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When has wins and losses ever meant jack shit in spring training?

It doesn’t

I guess I was hoping they’d at least win in the spring because we all know they aren’t winning in the regular season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I was hoping they’d at least win in the spring because we all know they aren’t winning in the regular season.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Calhoun starts in AAA "to work on defense". Then he will be up to stay. Still trying to figure out who plays back up in CF.

It is pretty obvious the big money is not being spent this offseason. Young guys will get time to develop. But you know there are still guys out there who remain unsigned

Unless we make a big jump this year, we won't spend next offseason but will make a big one for the opening of the new park.

Not too worried re exhibition season. Interesting Perez looks to have legit shot to begin season.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t

Some of us are tired of winning in regular season and not winning postseason

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Calhoun starts in AAA "to work on defense". Then he will be up to stay. Still trying to figure out who plays back up in CF.

It is pretty obvious the big money is not being spent this offseason. Young guys will get time to develop. But you know there are still guys out there who remain unsigned

Unless we make a big jump this year, we won't spend next offseason but will make a big one for the opening of the new park.

Not too worried re exhibition season. Interesting Perez looks to have legit shot to begin season.
Not knocking what you said just to be sure you understand but Perez having a legit shot to begin the season does not give me a good feeling about our pitching staff overall.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not knocking what you said just to be sure you understand but Perez having a legit shot to begin the season does not give me a good feeling about our pitching staff overall.
Nor I. Good to hear from you pal.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One bright spot so far has been the offense. Lack of runs has not been a problem.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mote of a general interest blurb re Marty and definitely not meant to inspire the seal of approval on our SP. to me this is the real question mark. If they do well we could slip in a WC spot but where are the inning eaters. BP could be easily taxed

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some think Hamels may be trying to get traded.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some think Hamels may be trying to get traded.

Just do a modified 6 man rotation if warranted if per chance we break ST injury free. A big IF

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Ryan Rua showed on Sunday why the Rangers want to have his right-handed bat available.

Rua had a double and a three-run homer against top-flight Seattle left-hander James Paxton during a 10-7 loss to the Mariners. Paxton held right-handed hitters to a .229 average with a .345 slugging percentage in 420 at-bats last season.

Rua figures to get most of his at-bats against left-handers this season as part of a left-field platoon with Drew Robinson. Rua has a career average of .270 with a .741 OPS against left-handers and a .227 average with a .655 OPS against right-handers.

“If that’s what my role is, I’m very comfortable in it,” Rua said. “If that’s what helps the team, I’m willing to do it.”

Calhoun struggles: Willie Calhoun had an inauspicious start to the road-test of three consecutive planned starts in left field.

Calhoun badly misplayed a ball hit by Taylor Mottor during Seattle’s five-run four inning. The situation called for Calhoun to hold Mottor to a single. Instead, Calhoun came up well short on a dive, and the ball went through the gap for a run-scoring double.

“We need to keep that ball in front of us,’’ manager Jeff Banister said.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Ryan Rua showed on Sunday why the Rangers want to have his right-handed bat available.

Rua had a double and a three-run homer against top-flight Seattle left-hander James Paxton during a 10-7 loss to the Mariners. Paxton held right-handed hitters to a .229 average with a .345 slugging percentage in 420 at-bats last season.

Rua figures to get most of his at-bats against left-handers this season as part of a left-field platoon with Drew Robinson. Rua has a career average of .270 with a .741 OPS against left-handers and a .227 average with a .655 OPS against right-handers.

“If that’s what my role is, I’m very comfortable in it,” Rua said. “If that’s what helps the team, I’m willing to do it.”

Calhoun struggles: Willie Calhoun had an inauspicious start to the road-test of three consecutive planned starts in left field.

Calhoun badly misplayed a ball hit by Taylor Mottor during Seattle’s five-run four inning. The situation called for Calhoun to hold Mottor to a single. Instead, Calhoun came up well short on a dive, and the ball went through the gap for a run-scoring double.

We need to keep that ball in front of us,’’ manager Jeff Banister said.

Got to be statement of the year.:L