• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know for sure on the question.

And the statement, I agree, at least to an extent, with the first 2 players, and totally disagree on the last two.

I was talking strictly from a financial perspective.

The only one of those acquisitions I wasn’t in favor of at the time was Choo. We gave him way too much. Everyone else’s contract made sense if you take into consideration the information we were given at the time. We all know someone in the Rangers front office and / or medical staff probably got fired for letting dombrowski pull a fast one on us with Fielder. Fielder would’ve been great here if his neck wasn’t messed up.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD has stated he expects to compete but he also says everything must go right including no injuries and young guys improving. This is all true but also GM speak. Still as a fan I would love to get Darvish and as time goes on our little chances improve for a hometown discount.

Regardless I think we may move people at the break if our of contention.

How can we expect to move anyone now when it is not happening league wide. Still a bit curious why Cashner was not moved last season. We are getting loaded with expiring contracts

Just say no to B McCarthy. Yes ha it would resemble old Angels staff. Good one

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not interested so much in what JD tells us as much as I am interested in what he does. He should have traded Hamels, Choo and maybe Beltre last July. Next best case scenario he would have traded them this offseason. He has not done any of that and if we are within 4 or 5 games of the second wildcard I am not sure he will do it at this coming deadline. That is what bothers me. I don't care if he used the "R" word or not as long as he goes ahead and rebuilds. He doesn't want to stock up on free agents and he doesn't want to rebuild. That is the disturbing thing to me.

Sorry you are disturbed. He probably tried to move guys but no legitimate bites. Yeah it would be great to move Choo

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry you are disturbed. He probably tried to move guys but no legitimate bites. Yeah it would be great to move Choo
The best that can come from Choo is "Lessons Learned". If JD has not learned we will be in trouble for a long time even after he is gone.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. I bet you are really put out that I am disturbed.

Most trade talks get reported on these days. The idea that a lot of efforts are being made, but in complete secrecy is a bit of a stretch.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. I bet you are really put out that I am disturbed.

Most trade talks get reported on these days. The idea that a lot of efforts are being made, but in complete secrecy is a bit of a stretch.

Just trying to practice my empathetic skill set. Haha.

Don’t you know JD is a stealth fighter jet as well as a riverboat gambler who keeps his cards close to his chest?

We agree probably more than you think although you may overestimate the prospect pool a tad IMO

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trying to practice my empathetic skill set. Haha.

Don’t you know JD is a stealth fighter jet as well as a riverboat gambler who keeps his cards close to his chest?

We agree probably more than you think although you may overestimate the prospect pool a tad IMO
The problem is JD is only one of several people who are involved in trade talks. They aren't all as inclined to operate in as much secrecy as JD does.

The present prospect pool is very shallow. The kiddie pool in more ways than one.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Vlad on making the HOF!

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best that can come from Choo is "Lessons Learned". If JD has not learned we will be in trouble for a long time even after he is gone.

The thought was he was a great lead off guy with power and had experience in all fields. Injuries and decline in fielding skills really hurt. So lesson is you really can’t pay for the past for over 30 guys. Unfortunately it may be the same lesson that needs to be applied to Darvish.

Undoubtedly Darvish best years will be 1 and 2 in a 5 year contract while we need his best years to be 3-5. This the logic not buying a high dollar starter now. Of course I would still like him on the cheap

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years in a row has it been that the budget has been a major constraint for JD?

It seems like the Choo, Fielder, Andrus, and Beltre contracts have hamstrung this team

Big difference, Andrus & Beltre were/are/have been good investments, Choo and Fielder are/were not

Andrus will probably achieve matching the value of his contract with his play on the field, 2015 is the only year as a Ranger he hasn't, and that was 15 million in salary, compared to 13.4 million in WAR value

Beltre has already multiple times over, even last year with only 94 games played he exceeded his salary in terms of WAR value

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre has already multiple times over, even last year with only 94 games played he exceeded his salary in terms of WAR value

There was something I saw online a few weeks ago, it was every free agent signing since 2010 and the "value" of how they performed versus their actual contract...

Beltre was far and away the top "value".

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was something I saw online a few weeks ago, it was every free agent signing since 2010 and the "value" of how they performed versus their actual contract...

Beltre was far and away the top "value".
I still remember the ridiculous arguments being made on the DMN board where some claimed that he only performed in contract years and therefore, we shouldn't sign him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's next for prospect Rangers pitcher Brett Martin after another injury-plagued season?

2017 recap: Martin had an injury problem for the third consecutive season, missing six weeks because of a back condition. Martin has yet to reach 100 innings during three full professional seasons. Martin made five starts before the back problem arose and had 34 strikeouts in 26 innings. He struggled with command after coming off the disabled list. Martin has a long delivery that can be difficult to keep together. The curveball is his top pitch. He also has a low-90 mph fastball, change-up and cutter.

2018 outlook: Martin's spring performance will help determine whether he returns to the High-A Down East or moves up to Double-A Frisco. Given the Rangers' decision last year to take it slower on developing pitchers, he could get more time in the Carolina League.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of wish these guys were on club now

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of wish these guys were on club now
That is a good list to recall when people throw out the line that prospects are just prospects.

It was after our 2013 season when I first wanted to begin rebuilding if we couldn't go after 3 or 4 really good free agents. Having guys like Gallo, Brinson, Williams, Mazara and Alfaro 2-4 years away made rebuilding make a lot of sense.