• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NFL Free Agents

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance we have the cap to sign to what we signed Ware back when we did? 3 year 30 million, or is that too much to spend?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another guy for people to take a look at would be Jonathan Hankins. Plays for the Giants this year as a NT and man that guy cannot be moved. I watched him on one run play to the right the play was supposed to go right at him. They sent 3 people to try and push him backwards and the guy just didn't move. The RB had to try and cut it back to the left but with the lack of blockers to that side it was an easy stop for the defense. Could be a good option to replace Sly that I don't think will cost a ton.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance we have the cap to sign to what we signed Ware back when we did? 3 year 30 million, or is that too much to spend?

Oh we have the cap to spend that. The issue is Campbell most likely costs more than that for us to get. You are looking at a 3-year/$36 million type deal.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just to give a quick run down of our cap situation. Understand places will tell you the Broncos have $40 million in cap space for this upcoming season. That isn't entirely true. Let me explain it then we can kind of see what a closer number to what we actually have to spend will be...

1) Have to remember we do not know the true Cap Number at this point. So this is all still just a guessing game until that comes out. Operating with the idea that it will go up about the same amount as past year percentage wise so we can guess it will be between $166-170 million. For this exercise I will go with the lower number.

2) We do have some carry over money from last year but not sure on the final total once incentive bonuses are paid out. We'll just stick with the number they have right now of $7.4 million though.

3) No idea on the players they will cut. I'm thinking very good chance Stephenson is gone so that saves us about $3 million. Okung I'm kind of thinking they try to rework a deal with him to get his cap number down to $8 million a year or so.

So operating with all of that in play we would be about $44.6 million or so in cap space.

4) Next we have to look at the ERFA's and RFA's. Again tough to know the type of tags we would give some of these players.
The price to sign most of the ERFA's will cost around $6.1 million. So that takes us down to about $38.5 million in cap space.

5) RFA's we have 3 of them. Good chance we re-sign 2 of them in Todd Davis and McManus. We don't know the tender prices for these players. Going off past years and adding a bit it would cost about $5.5 million for the pair. So now we are down to $33 million.

6) The draft will cost the team between $3-5 million. I'll go the higher number so now $28 million in cap space.
7) Teams like to leave about $5-7 million in extra cap space for injuries. So now looking at $21 million for Free Agency.

Again this is about as rough as you can get without getting into ridiculous detail. This model would have the team well above the 53-man roster so we would be looking good when it comes to number of players.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and 21 million is not a lot to be honest.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and 21 million is not a lot to be honest.

Not in today's NFL. Now the Broncos can do some Cap gymnastics if they want a bit. They can stagger when the big cap hits happen for some of these players. Such as say we get Campbell, Wagner, and Lang. Have Campbell be closer to $7 million the first year for a cap hit while Wagner and Lang have a decent first year hit. Then Campbell's 2nd or 3rd year could be the bigger hit when we have more space available.

This could also be where Okung comes into play. Not sure what the plan is there.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in today's NFL. Now the Broncos can do some Cap gymnastics if they want a bit. They can stagger when the big cap hits happen for some of these players. Such as say we get Campbell, Wagner, and Lang. Have Campbell be closer to $7 million the first year for a cap hit while Wagner and Lang have a decent first year hit. Then Campbell's 2nd or 3rd year could be the bigger hit when we have more space available.

This could also be where Okung comes into play. Not sure what the plan is there.

Is he even signed? I thought last year he signed a 1 year deal and then it was up to the team if they wanted to pick up his multiple year options. Can't they decline him and let him become a FA?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he even signed? I thought last year he signed a 1 year deal and then it was up to the team if they wanted to pick up his multiple year options. Can't they decline him and let him become a FA?

Yes that is why I said the whole Okung situation comes into play. My above break down was with Okung being on the roster. So if he leaves that opens up a huge chunk of cap space. At the same time also means we have another hole we have to fix on this team.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i trust our cap guru... can't remember his name

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT I think has a contract that could be adjusted and who knows the status of TJ Ward. There is $5MM right there.

Virgil Green could save $2.8MM

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that is why I said the whole Okung situation comes into play. My above break down was with Okung being on the roster. So if he leaves that opens up a huge chunk of cap space. At the same time also means we have another hole we have to fix on this team.
another hole on a terrible market...

your choices for LT? 36 year old andrew whitworth or underwhelming riley reiff

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another hole on a terrible market...

your choices for LT? 36 year old andrew whitworth or underwhelming riley reiff

Which is why I honestly think it is in the Bronco's best interest to get something worked out with Okung. I don't think you can bring him back at the deal he signed for the next 4-years but something like 3-years/$24 million makes a lot of sense for both parties.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT I think has a contract that could be adjusted and who knows the status of TJ Ward. There is $5MM right there.

Virgil Green could save $2.8MM

I would be careful with DT's contract. 3-years from now he has a huge cap number. Most likely the deal would be redone or he would be cut by then. We redo his deal now though that number might come due.

Virgil I agree could be cut. With Heuerman finally showing something the last couple of games, Derby showing some promise during the season, and a very loaded draft at the TE position Green could be on the outside looking in.

Elway definitely has his work cut out for trying to figure out who to keep.

TJ Ward I would not touch. He has a pretty cheap contract compared to the talent he brings to the field. I would let him be.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I honestly think it is in the Bronco's best interest to get something worked out with Okung. I don't think you can bring him back at the deal he signed for the next 4-years but something like 3-years/$24 million makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Sometimes you say some very smart things. ;)

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ware should have been gone before this year which I mentioned in the beginning of the year. Sly make him an offer but don't overpay. Everyone else including can go. Okung I'd care less if he was gone. Talib I wouldn't let go and for Ward if they decide to let him go I'd care less either way. Peace.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be sad when Kayvon suits up for another team. He is a ST beast