• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Kyrie learned anything today?

#totality

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Kyrie learned anything today?

#totality

flat-earth-eclipse_600px.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A Smith called the charges ridiculous which in this case I agree. Indiana trying to blame the Lakers for their inept management though is rich

Yeah, the Kimmel interview is technically tampering. If that's all there is, then the most they are looking at is some sort of fine. So, unless there's a smoking gun that shows that there was some sort of side deal set up, not much more will come of this.

What's ridiculous, imo, is the Pacers waiting this long to file the paperwork. That part makes them look petty.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,440.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it definitely depends on the roster.

If you have a loaded team with multiple scorers, then it is a pretty easy choice IMO. Kidd is the ultimate facilitator and he is a more versatile defender.

If you have a team that does not have a ton of scoring, then you probably take Paul.

This.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Kimmel interview is technically tampering. If that's all there is, then the most they are looking at is some sort of fine. So, unless there's a smoking gun that shows that there was some sort of side deal set up, not much more will come of this.

What's ridiculous, imo, is the Pacers waiting this long to file the paperwork. That part makes them look petty.

Paperwork was reportedly filed back at the draft.

“(e) No person may, directly or indirectly, (i) entice, induce, persuade or attempt to entice, induce or persuade any Coach, 48 Trainer, General Manager or any other person who is under contract to any other Member of the Association to enter into negotiations for or relating to his services or negotiate or contract for such services or (ii) otherwise interfere with any such employer-employee relationship of any other Member of the Association.

They'll have to prove negotiations for his services, which I doubt exist. MAYBE they can suggest the Lakers interfered with the George/Pacers relationship, but that's a stretch and a relationship that was already on the outs.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really don't think the phone call is going to be an issue, but as an independent auditor, here is how I would conduct the audit.

I first would review the Pacers records and determine when and where they were notified that Paul George told them that he was not going to resign.

Then I would talk to Paul George, explain to him he did nothing wrong and request that he submit his phone records and list of contacts. I would put the list and numbers onto an excel spreadsheet so I can summarize the calls by each person he spoke to - If he spoke to Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson or if contact had been made with Jim Buss or Mitch Kupchak - then it could get hairy

Then I would subpoena all of the records of those in the organization including Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss. The data would be summarized to see if there was a pattern. For example: If day one PG spoke to Kobe Bryant who then spoke to Perelinka or Magic Johnson, then spoke to PG a day later and then back to Magic Johnson -that would be the patter.

All transactions on paper will be reviewed but you are not going to get into a deal like the one where there were suspensions and etc. There is no way in hell Magic is going to give PG numbers in writing a year before he is legally allowed to sign him and once the phone records have been reviewed - The investigation is dead

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paperwork was reportedly filed back at the draft.

I wonder why it took so long for the NBA to begin an investigation?

They'll have to prove negotiations for his services, which I doubt exist. MAYBE they can suggest the Lakers interfered with the George/Pacers relationship, but that's a stretch and a relationship that was already on the outs.

I think the Lakers may get fined. As I mentioned, Steve Kerr was fined $25,000 for saying "We'd love to have Lebron" during an interview with Dan Patrick.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why it took so long for the NBA to begin an investigation?

I think the Lakers may get fined. As I mentioned, Steve Kerr was fined $25,000 for saying "We'd love to have Lebron" during an interview with Dan Patrick.
About the only thing the NBA can do in this investigation is request the phone records for everyone involved. I would be asking for phone records for Paul George, his agent, everyone in the Lakers organization and then be looking to see if there was any correspondence between George and anyone in the Lakers organization. That's how I would conduct the audit of the records and it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack

Now If I saw where Paul George for example spoke to Kobe Bryant - and then Mitch Kupchak or Jim Buss or Magic Johnson spoke to Kobe and then Kobe back to Paul George - that would be a pattern of communication through a third party not working for the Lakers - That's their best hope for proving tampering and that takes awhile to get cooperation because some of them might tell the NBA to go pound sand.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is food for thought - Lakers could waive Deng and stretch his salary or the next five or years or whatever it is. That would reduce their obligation towards the cap to 7.7 million. Or they wait till next year to wave him and have a little more spending power. That would give them another 10 million a year in the event they haven't found a victim to take Deng