• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Free Agency Outlook: Tony Snell

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2017-5-21_14-29-25.png
A restricted free agent this summer, Milwaukee Bucks wingman Tony Snell figures to be a key name as the NBA free agent market opens in July.

Snell had spent his first three NBA seasons mired in a questionable coaching situation in Chicago under Tom Thibodeau and later Fred Hoiberg, but a fresh start awaited itself when he was traded to Milwaukee last October for Michael Carter-Williams. Tony did, however, flash signs of promise as a rookie in Chicago during the 2013-14 season playing behind Luol Deng and Jimmy Butler. He contributed 15 points and seven rebounds in the Bulls’ triple-overtime marathon win in Orlando on 1/15/14.

This season in Milwaukee, he was inserted into the starting lineup from day one. Snell put up a stat line of 21 points, seven rebounds, and two assists in a 112-98 win in Philadelphia on March 6, and scored a career-high 26 points in a win over Charlotte three weeks later. On the season, Snell averaged 8.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in 80 starts for the Bucks, and connected on 46.8 percent of his three-point attempts since mid-December.

While his per-game averages don’t blow anyone away, his ability to run the floor, play and defend both wing positions, and knock down the open three make him invaluable. His glue guy skill set reminds me of that of former Pacer Solomon Hill (see video farthest to the bottom), another personal favorite of mine, who received $48 million from the Pelicans last off-season. As a part-Nuggets fan, it has become increasingly obvious that the clock will soon strike midnight on the Denver careers of Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari, and Snell is just the type of player I would pursue to replace one of them.

There have been signs that the Bucks could be looking to match any offer for Snell on the free agent market in spite of their bloated payroll. For one, they were unable to unload the contract of Miles Plumlee in a trade with Charlotte in early February. Second of all, they could be looking for stability given the uncertainty of Jabari Parker’s future following second ACL tear this season.

In Game 1 on the Bucks’ first round matchup in Toronto on April 15th, Snell played a crucial role in helping the franchise snap their 17-game losing streak in road series openers, a streak that dates back to 1983 when Milwaukee completed the daunting task of defeating Larry Bird and the Celtics at the ominous Boston Garden by stealing the first two games of that series. Against the Raptors that day, Snell scored 11 points on three-pointers, achieved a plus/minus rating of +16 in just 24 minutes of play, and helped limit Toronto All-Star DeMar DeRozan 7-of-21 shooting from the floor in the 97-83 win.

In addition to Milwaukee and Denver, another potential free agent landing spot for Tony could be Detroit if they feel Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is out of their price range.

My prediction is that Snell gets $50 million from someone.

Possible destinations: Milwaukee, Denver, Detroit, Indiana, Miami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxRIK95x4ss

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A restricted free agent this summer, Milwaukee Bucks wingman Tony Snell figures to be a key name as the NBA free agent market opens in July.

Snell had spent his first three NBA seasons mired in a questionable coaching situation in Chicago under Tom Thibodeau and later Fred Hoiberg, but a fresh start awaited itself when he was traded to Milwaukee last October for Michael Carter-Williams. Tony did, however, flash signs of promise as a rookie in Chicago during the 2013-14 season playing behind Luol Deng and Jimmy Butler. He contributed 15 points and seven rebounds in the Bulls’ triple-overtime marathon win in Orlando on 1/15/14.

This season in Milwaukee, he was inserted into the starting lineup from day one. Snell put up a stat line of 21 points, seven rebounds, and two assists in a 112-98 win in Philadelphia on March 6, and scored a career-high 26 points in a win over Charlotte three weeks later. On the season, Snell averaged 8.5 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in 80 starts for the Bucks, and connected on 46.8 percent of his three-point attempts since mid-December.

While his per-game averages don’t blow anyone away, his ability to run the floor, play and defend both wing positions, and knock down the open three make him invaluable. His glue guy skill set reminds me of that of former Pacer Solomon Hill (see video farthest to the bottom), another personal favorite of mine, who received $48 million from the Pelicans last off-season. As a part-Nuggets fan, it has become increasingly obvious that the clock will soon strike midnight on the Denver careers of Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari, and Snell is just the type of player I would pursue to replace one of them.

There have been signs that the Bucks could be looking to match any offer for Snell on the free agent market in spite of their bloated payroll. For one, they were unable to unload the contract of Miles Plumlee in a trade with Charlotte in early February. Second of all, they could be looking for stability given the uncertainty of Jabari Parker’s future following second ACL tear this season.

In Game 1 on the Bucks’ first round matchup in Toronto on April 15th, Snell played a crucial role in helping the franchise snap their 17-game losing streak in road series openers, a streak that dates back to 1983 when Milwaukee completed the daunting task of defeating Larry Bird and the Celtics at the ominous Boston Garden by stealing the first two games of that series. Against the Raptors that day, Snell scored 11 points on three-pointers, achieved a plus/minus rating of +16 in just 24 minutes of play, and helped limit Toronto All-Star DeMar DeRozan 7-of-21 shooting from the floor in the 97-83 win.

In addition to Milwaukee and Denver, another potential free agent landing spot for Tony could be Detroit if they feel Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is out of their price range.

My prediction is that Snell gets $50 million from someone.

Possible destinations: Milwaukee, Denver, Detroit, Indiana, Miami.

50 mil over how many years?

I think he gets more.

I'd definitely pay him over a guy like Redick.

I get that you like Solomon.

But, he was one of the worst free agent signings of the Summer...imo

7ppg, 3.8 boards and 1.8 assists over 80 games is horrific at that price.

So, let's hope Snell turns out to be better.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he gets more.

The talent is there with Solomon, as it the effort. He just needs to assert himself more on offense. But yeah, my prediction is $50 million over four for Snell. I would go $55-60, but teams might be weary of his one good year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he gets more.

Snell landed in the perfect spot and situation the past year. I think he is a decent 3 and D role player, but we see this happen every off season. Good teams won't pay up because they can get better, cheaper vets who have already made their money. Snell will end up getting overpaid by a bad team and his efficiency will take a big hit because he will not have a guy like Giannis drawing the focus of the defense.

We might see more scoring from Snell next year, but I would be willing to bet his efficiency takes a big hit. That is, unless Milwaukee somehow gets him back.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snell landed in the perfect spot and situation the past year. I think he is a decent 3 and D role player, but we see this happen every off season. Good teams won't pay up because they can get better, cheaper vets who have already made their money. Snell will end up getting overpaid by a bad team and his efficiency will take a big hit because he will not have a guy like Giannis drawing the focus of the defense.

We might see more scoring from Snell next year, but I would be willing to bet his efficiency takes a big hit. That is, unless Milwaukee somehow gets him back.

If he ends up with a team like Brooklyn, who was speculated as a possibility for Snell by CBS, then yeah, he's screwed. I think he best fits on a middling playoff contender, aka the five teams I've mentioned in the OP.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he ends up with a team like Brooklyn, who was speculated as a possibility for Snell by CBS, then yeah, he's screwed. I think he best fits on a middling playoff contender, aka the five teams I've mentioned in the OP.

I agree. Especially Milwaukee and Indiana.

That said, somebody like the Nets is likely to bid more than most of these teams are willing to spend. Milwaukee should offer him 4 years 40 million right away. Maybe they get lucky and he signs early.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Especially Milwaukee and Indiana.

That said, somebody like the Nets is likely to bid more than most of these teams are willing to spend. Milwaukee should offer him 4 years 40 million right away. Maybe they get lucky and he signs early.

Yeah I'm curious to see what the Nets do. Last year for whatever reason they only went after RFA and failed miserably. I would be afraid to go back down that road if I'm Sean Marks

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm curious to see what the Nets do. Last year for whatever reason they only went after RFA and failed miserably. I would be afraid to go back down that road if I'm Sean Marks

I talked to some Bulls fans at chicitysports and they were concerned that the Nets would throw some ridiculous offer at Nikola Mirotic and that the Bulls would be dumb enough to match it.

Niko would be an awful fit next to Brook Lopez though since neither are very interested in rebounding.