• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA DRAFT

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're lucky because the Lakers were looking at him too and in fact the Lakers considered trading the second pick for two lower picks, but couldn't get a bite. Josh Jackson will help Arizona in many ways

Lakers didn't like his workout. They wanted Ball since day 1, despite any smoke otherwise. The attempt to trade for 5 and 10 was all about trying to get the George trade done. Trading down to 5 to get Jackson wouldn't have worked too well, would it?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers didn't like his workout. They wanted Ball since day 1, despite any smoke otherwise. The attempt to trade for 5 and 10 was all about trying to get the George trade done. Trading down to 5 to get Jackson wouldn't have worked too well, would it?
Lakers still trying to get PG, but they can't give up Lonzo Ball, they are betting big time as a point guard, but I think they will pull the trigger for a trade like this

Ingram or Randle
Deng to make the salaries
one or both of the two draft picks #30 and/or $42

for

Paul George

Lakers would be giving up a lot, but they would have

Lopez - 20 ppg and 6 rebounds
Paul George - 19 ppg
Lonzo Ball - pg
Randle or Ingram
Clarkson

This would most likely be a playoff team

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram is off limits, it's been said multiple times. Clarkson or Randle and the two draft picks was the previous offer, but those picks are now made with intent for the Lakers, do doubtful the Pacers choose to revisit that offer.

There is no chance in hell the Pacers take Deng unless the Lakers SERIOUSLY overpay with future 1sts and all of their remaining prospects. He isn't needed anyway. If it's Clarkson in the deal, the Lakers can absorb the salary difference. If it's Randle, then someone like Black would need to be included to cover the salary difference.

Odds are, the Lakers are out of the George trade market this year unless the Pacers' demands come down. They will have to hope that George's previous remarks were true and that he's coming to LA regardless of where he ends up this year.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram is off limits only if the Lakers don't think it's feasible they can get LeBron after next year.

They will use him in a trade if they have a good chance at getting LeBron.

At least, that's my opinion.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers still trying to get PG, but they can't give up Lonzo Ball, they are betting big time as a point guard, but I think they will pull the trigger for a trade like this

Ingram or Randle
Deng to make the salaries
one or both of the two draft picks #30 and/or $42

for

Paul George

Lakers would be giving up a lot, but they would have

Lopez - 20 ppg and 6 rebounds
Paul George - 19 ppg
Lonzo Ball - pg
Randle or Ingram
Clarkson

This would most likely be a playoff team

LA probably isn't gonna be able to trade for George unless Pritchard loses his mind. Once LA traded Russell away, they lost their best trade chip (since they refused to move #2 or Ingram). Randle isn't as valuable since he's do for a pay raise. Clarkson is a solid player but not good enough to move the needle. Pretty much every deal out there from the other teams trumps what LA can offer now.

That's why it trends on the foolish side to trade Russell when they did. They can't use the cap room they got for him till next year. That deal, or similar deals, could have been made at the deadline or this time next season. In the mean time, they could have upped Russell's value and/or been able to sell Indy on a trade package as the clock ticked closer to George leaving. Russell/Turner/Leaf wouldn't have been a bad start over point for Indy.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA probably isn't gonna be able to trade for George unless Pritchard loses his mind. Once LA traded Russell away, they lost their best trade chip (since they refused to move #2 or Ingram). Randle isn't as valuable since he's do for a pay raise. Clarkson is a solid player but not good enough to move the needle. Pretty much every deal out there from the other teams trumps what LA can offer now.

That's why it trends on the foolish side to trade Russell when they did. They can't use the cap room they got for him till next year. That deal, or similar deals, could have been made at the deadline or this time next season. In the mean time, they could have upped Russell's value and/or been able to sell Indy on a trade package as the clock ticked closer to George leaving. Russell/Turner/Leaf wouldn't have been a bad start over point for Indy.
I think the Lakers would give up Ingram or Randle if they could for them to take Deng with the deal and then perhaps a couple of the young picks. Then the Lakers have a good shot at being a playoff team and attractive enough to attract big name players - but they have to unload Deng in that deal - otherwise they are screwed

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram is off limits only if the Lakers don't think it's feasible they can get LeBron after next year.

LeBron is getting older though - the problem is the Lakers would be set up for only a few years with old guys and would have to rebuild all over in five years - that's the downside I see to that - but for one or more championships - they would do it - I'm sure

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers would give up Ingram or Randle if they could for them to take Deng with the deal and then perhaps a couple of the young picks. Then the Lakers have a good shot at being a playoff team and attractive enough to attract big name players - but they have to unload Deng in that deal - otherwise they are screwed

They have repeatedly said they are not giving up Ingram. If they were, George would already be a Laker. Randle is gonna have to go regardless. Magic/Pelinka have indicated they are going big fish hunting in 2018. They can't carve two max slots with him on the roster since he's coming off a rookie deal and will get a big pay bump. But what silly is there was no need to carve that salary out right now. Both Russell and Randle could have remained on the roster till the deadline at the earliest.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have repeatedly said they are not giving up Ingram. If they were, George would already be a Laker. Randle is gonna have to go regardless. Magic/Pelinka have indicated they are going big fish hunting in 2018. They can't carve two max slots with him on the roster since he's coming off a rookie deal and will get a big pay bump. But what silly is there was no need to carve that salary out right now. Both Russell and Randle could have remained on the roster till the deadline at the earliest.
The Lakers kind of have to dump Mozgov when they had a chance - might not get that opportunity next year. Now they play the waiting game to dump Deng and they already have about 30 million - so I think they are pretty close to having enough free salary now. Lopez is a great player - if the Lakers could get him to resign next year for about 15 million - they would have a really good center if Ivica Zubac isn't ready.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers kind of have to dump Mozgov when they had a chance - might not get that opportunity next year. Now they play the waiting game to dump Deng and they already have about 30 million - so I think they are pretty close to having enough free salary now. Lopez is a great player - if the Lakers could get him to resign next year for about 15 million - they would have a really good center if Ivica Zubac isn't ready.

Nah. A bad contract like Mozgov or Deng could be moved at any time as long as a nice asset is attached to his contract. That's just how the league works. If it wasn't the Nets right now, it would be some other team 6 to 12 months from now (hell, it could still been the Nets). There's teams out there that will be willing to take on a bad contract if you give them something good. Lots of stuff changes in that time. That's why you don't trade for cap space until you absolutely need cap space. You ever see a team that had a free agent that wanted to sign there but the team couldn't make room? Nope. Teams find a way. You don't burn your assets till your target is already in hand

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. A bad contract like Mozgov or Deng could be moved at any time as long as a nice asset is attached to his contract. That's just how the league works. If it wasn't the Nets right now, it would be some other team 6 to 12 months from now (hell, it could still been the Nets). There's teams out there that will be willing to take on a bad contract if you give them something good. Lots of stuff changes in that time. That's why you don't trade for cap space until you absolutely need cap space. You ever see a team that had a free agent that wanted to sign there but the team couldn't make room? Nope. Teams find a way. You don't burn your assets till your target is already in hand
I think Magic may have been setting the Lakers up for bigger moves right now given the opportunity. When he said the Lakers wouldn't do much this summer - clearly he was blowing smoke. Either way though Russell was a really good player, but they obviously believe Ball will be the man - now they will be looking for some pure shooters. I think the Lakers will make the playoffs next April

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers will make the playoffs next April
They'd have to bring in PG (or some similar big name) for this to be reality, IMO.

Ball and Ingram are still too young... the NBA is a man's league.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd have to bring in PG (or some similar big name) for this to be reality, IMO.

Ball and Ingram are still too young... the NBA is a man's league.
The plan might be to let them develop another year and see what they have but I think Magic wants a team right now like Jim Buss wanted. We just now have to hope he does a better job. Its a gamble no matter what

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers don't need to move Ingram to get Lebron unless they want to trade for him, which I don't see happening. They'll have to clear more cap space but, if they do nothing else between now and the end of next season, they can get both Lebron and PG-13 as FA's.

This would present quite the conundrum for @ChiefsLakers67. Would the prospect of an ultimate Wiggy meltdown outweigh his not wanting Lebron on the team?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Understand your point and under normal circumstances, I'd agree. However, now that he's gone, there are reports that he apparently wasn't well liked or trusted in the locker room and apparently his maturity issues are worse than what we already knew before the trade.

I don't think they wanted him around the other young guys with him knowing that his Lakers days are numbered. I don't think they trusted how he'd react and figured if he reacted badly, he could possibly hurt his trade value even more. Almost an addition by subtraction type of deal, imo. The fact that they got rid of the Mozgov deal as well, makes it all the better.

Also, given their level of experience, Magic and Pelinka may have underestimated the Pacers resolve in what they would accept in a trade. I think they expected that the Pacers would demand the #2 and/or Ingram, but not that they would stick to that demand as long as they apparently have.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is getting older though - the problem is the Lakers would be set up for only a few years with old guys and would have to rebuild all over in five years - that's the downside I see to that - but for one or more championships - they would do it - I'm sure

Adding Lebron is no sure thing to reach the finals, let alone win a championship. Lakers have to retain at least Ball and Ingram IMO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Lebron is no sure thing to reach the finals, let alone win a championship. Lakers have to retain at least Ball and Ingram IMO.

Agree. If the Warriors didn't have KD, then maybe the Lakers consider moving Ball and/or Ingram in exchange for 3-4 years of title contention with Lebron.

But with KD on the Warriors, they have to play more of the long game. If they can add PG-13 and Lebron after next season without losing ball and Ingram...great. It gives them at least a shot at a title and, perhaps more importantly, gives Ball, Ingram and the remaining young guys valuable big game experience without a ton of pressure on them and sets them up for when the Warriors breakup or get old.

However, if Ball and/or Ingram are the cost to bring in Lebron...then forget it and just keep playing the long game.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have to retain more than Ball and Ingram in my opinion. They will not reach their full potential for a few more years. I think the Lakers will need another superstar which is possible. At least they are going in the right direction

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. If the Warriors didn't have KD, then maybe the Lakers consider moving Ball and/or Ingram in exchange for 3-4 years of title contention with Lebron.

But with KD on the Warriors, they have to play more of the long game. If they can add PG-13 and Lebron after next season without losing ball and Ingram...great. It gives them at least a shot at a title and, perhaps more importantly, gives Ball, Ingram and the remaining young guys valuable big game experience without a ton of pressure on them and sets them up for when the Warriors breakup or get old.

However, if Ball and/or Ingram are the cost to bring in Lebron...then forget it and just keep playing the long game.

I would say if the Lakers were to bring in Paul George and Porzingis for Ingram and Ball, then they could sign LeBron and become a contender, but I would be disappointed because I think the young kids have the potential to make the Lakers for the next decade like Tim Duncan and Tony Parker made the Spurs

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say if the Lakers were to bring in Paul George and Porzingis for Ingram and Ball, then they could sign LeBron and become a contender, but I would be disappointed because I think the young kids have the potential to make the Lakers for the next decade like Tim Duncan and Tony Parker made the Spurs

George and Porzingas make more sense because they are both still young. But Porzingas, looks as though he may have injury issues. He played in, I believe 72 and 66 games in his 2 seasons. That seems like a lot of games missed for a guy who is only 2 years in.

Maybe he'll be similar to Kyrie and Steph Curry who both appear to have put early injury issues behind them? But, he could also be Andrew Bynum whose injury issues just got worse and forced him out of the league.

I'm not sure the Lakers are in a position to take that chance.