• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Lions Draft Thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realized I had an extra pick so I am refining yet again. Also trying to be more realistic with the positioning.

1 OLB Reddick Temple or OLB Watt WI
2 S Williams Utah
3 RB Hunt Toledo
4 DT Smart Tulane
5 WR Golladay NIL
6 TE Saubert Drake
6 DE Davis Chattanooga or Dimick Utah
7 DT Coward ODU (need to replace Ngata)

The first 3 or 4 rounds there are many scenarios that would work though. We could also go

1 S Peppers MI or CB Conley OSU
2 LB Mitchell OSU or Davis FL
3 DT Qualls WA or (CB Myrick MN or CB Witherspoon CO if no CB in Rd 1)
4 RB Hunt Toledo (might not last till 4 anymore though this is a deep RB draft)

I keep waffling between Safety and CB early in the draft. Slight chance we could do both.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the time anymore to get as in depth as I used to. But there are a handful of guys in the first round who I love and who I've seen fall past the Lions in various mocks. Interestingly enough I rarely see any of them mocked to Detroit.

1. Corey Davis. Not because of the Western thing, just because he's the best WR #1 in this class and we could get him at 21. This team has lacked viable WR corps for years.
2. Christian McCaffery. We need a RB, and he's a better RB than anyone on the roster. We also throw to RB's out of the backfield more than any team in the league, and currently tip our hand by putting in a RB that is good at catching and bad at running. McCaffery might be the best receiver out of the backfield in 5+ drafts. Hard to think of a better fit and I honestly wouldn't be against moving up slightly for him. The kind of player who can transform our whole offense.
3. Jabril Peppers. Again I don't care where he went to school. He was consistently the best player on the field and forced his coach to play him out of position on offense just because he was so good. Could be the next Ed Reed at Safety. At least a better player and less concerns than The Honey Badger. Other efensive players that earned Heisman mention and played on offense through sheer athleticism? Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey. I'm ok if he's not quite that good, but if he's even close he would be a steal in the top 10.
4. Adoree Jackson. Best CB in college 2 years ago. Still came out early. Has all the athleticism in the world and even with Peppers and McCaffery in this draft, Jackson is probably still the best returner in the draft. Until they get rid of the return game completely we still have to do it, and the Lions have been terrible for like 14 of the last 15 years with one accidental brightspot. The best part is, you're still drafting him as an upgrade at CB, which we badly need. The return game is just a bonus.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realized I had an extra pick so I am refining yet again. Also trying to be more realistic with the positioning.

1 OLB Reddick Temple or OLB Watt WI
2 S Williams Utah
3 RB Hunt Toledo
4 DT Smart Tulane
5 WR Golladay NIL
6 TE Saubert Drake
6 DE Davis Chattanooga or Dimick Utah
7 DT Coward ODU (need to replace Ngata)

The first 3 or 4 rounds there are many scenarios that would work though. We could also go

1 S Peppers MI or CB Conley OSU
2 LB Mitchell OSU or Davis FL
3 DT Qualls WA or (CB Myrick MN or CB Witherspoon CO if no CB in Rd 1)
4 RB Hunt Toledo (might not last till 4 anymore though this is a deep RB draft)

I keep waffling between Safety and CB early in the draft. Slight chance we could do both.

I think you will enjoy my first pick in the SportsHoopla mock draft.

Nos' 4th Annual NFL Mock Draft : FULL DRAFT

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the time anymore to get as in depth as I used to. But there are a handful of guys in the first round who I love and who I've seen fall past the Lions in various mocks. Interestingly enough I rarely see any of them mocked to Detroit.

1. Corey Davis. Not because of the Western thing, just because he's the best WR #1 in this class and we could get him at 21. This team has lacked viable WR corps for years.
2. Christian McCaffery. We need a RB, and he's a better RB than anyone on the roster. We also throw to RB's out of the backfield more than any team in the league, and currently tip our hand by putting in a RB that is good at catching and bad at running. McCaffery might be the best receiver out of the backfield in 5+ drafts. Hard to think of a better fit and I honestly wouldn't be against moving up slightly for him. The kind of player who can transform our whole offense.
3. Jabril Peppers. Again I don't care where he went to school. He was consistently the best player on the field and forced his coach to play him out of position on offense just because he was so good. Could be the next Ed Reed at Safety. At least a better player and less concerns than The Honey Badger. Other efensive players that earned Heisman mention and played on offense through sheer athleticism? Charles Woodson and Champ Bailey. I'm ok if he's not quite that good, but if he's even close he would be a steal in the top 10.
4. Adoree Jackson. Best CB in college 2 years ago. Still came out early. Has all the athleticism in the world and even with Peppers and McCaffery in this draft, Jackson is probably still the best returner in the draft. Until they get rid of the return game completely we still have to do it, and the Lions have been terrible for like 14 of the last 15 years with one accidental brightspot. The best part is, you're still drafting him as an upgrade at CB, which we badly need. The return game is just a bonus.

I like all of these too.

Cant hardly go wrong in round 1. Although I am getting a little wary that we might draft a TE again. Seen it from a few sites now.:gaah:

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am very much in agreement with those 4 guys.

Not as much Davis as we have plenty of solid pass catchers under contract for awhile.

TJ Watt and Obi Melifonwu would be nice selections too.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is we better get AT LEAST one DB from this draft class. So many talented prospects at CB and S this year.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, what makes Hunt better than Perine for what we are looking for?

Dang good question. I think it comes down to who you liked first. Hunt might be better out of the backfield, but already have two that can do that. Perine IMO gets more yards north and south of the two

Not saying Perine gets more yardage over all. He will get you more putting his head down when you need 3 yards.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang good question. I think it comes down to who you liked first. Hunt might be better out of the backfield, but already have two that can do that. Perine IMO gets more yards north and south of the two

Not saying Perine gets more yardage over all. He will get you more putting his head down when you need 3 yards.

Where's Bill Brown when you need him.

I remember Bill Brown. If you needed 3 yards, he'd get you 3 yards. If you needed 2 yards, he'd get you 3 yards. If you needed 4 yards, he'd get you 3 yards.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, what makes Hunt better than Perine for what we are looking for?

Definitely more a complete 3 down back. We dont have one of those. ZZ is close but I am not sold on him as more than a backup. He would give us an option where the defense would not know if it is run or pass and would have to defend both.

Hunt is a guy that can sustain drives just running the ball if we need that. Not sure we have the O-line for that yet, but we may find out this year. We could always throw Lucas and Robinson in at tackle late in games for that too.

I would be OK with Perine or Foreman too. They would be good complements to what we have now.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely more a complete 3 down back. We dont have one of those. ZZ is close but I am not sold on him as more than a backup. He would give us an option where the defense would not know if it is run or pass and would have to defend both.

Hunt is a guy that can sustain drives just running the ball if we need that. Not sure we have the O-line for that yet, but we may find out this year. We could always throw Lucas and Robinson in at tackle late in games for that too.

I would be OK with Perine or Foreman too. They would be good complements to what we have now.

Foreman has too many fumbles. We already have a turnover risk with AA, don't want to double down on that.