• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 AL CENTRAL DISCUSSION

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot think of worse reasoning for not trading a player. "The fans will be upset!"... Dude, who gives a shit? The fans who understand the game will understand, and that shit is irrelevant anyway.

I told you who gives a shit. The teams. You can pretend all you want that they don't, but they do.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no guarantee Verlander would even waive his NTC.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always enjoy reading arguments based on the notion that if what happened didn't, things would be different.

I think some of the Tigers fans are just throwing out respect for the Indians. It seems that the Indians are definitely in JV's head.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how trading Verlander now makes any sense. They're not going to save much money because they're going to have to eat a large amount of his contract, and given the way he's pitched this season, I don't see a team giving up a haul of minor leaguers for him either. He's going to have to put some good starts together to raise his stock, otherwise, I don't think it's worth the fan backlash to trade him at this point.

I agree, I'd like to see some team overpay for Verlander later this month...but that would seem unlikely, unless Dombrowski goes nuts for over-the-hill expensive players, like he did in Detroit.
IMO, Tigers need to keep their fingers crossed and hope Verlander has a decent second half of the season and then make a move - when other teams have an idea what their financial situations are. Also has the advantage of less press coverage in Detroit. (Since Detroit fans will be absorbed in the glorious season provided by the Lions! :) )

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm insinuating that the White Sox, when the Cubs suck, have a few dozen fans. Right after a Cubs World Series, you can cut that number in half.

I don't think you've spent much time in Chicago.

Chicago baseball fans aren't just neutral... They have a team. Either the Sox or the Cubs. No real baseball fan just pulls for both. Generally, those from the south are White Sox fans, and those from the North are Cubs. That changes a bit over the years, but fandom is passed down through families now. More so than "location".

The White Sox definitely have a smaller fan-base though. No question. I'm just not sure how it's relevant. It's still an MLB fan-base... and like any other one. We know what's going on with our team. Especially when Chris f'ing Sale gets traded. lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you who gives a shit. The teams. You can pretend all you want that they don't, but they do.

No... they do not.

Especially when he's leaving anyway, and a rebuild is coming.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chicago baseball fans aren't just neutral... They have a team. Either the Sox or the Cubs. No real baseball fan just pulls for both. Generally, those from the south are White Sox fans, and those from the North are Cubs. That changes a bit over the years, but fandom is passed down through families now. More so than "location".

The White Sox definitely have a smaller fan-base though. No question. I'm just not sure how it's relevant. It's still an MLB fan-base... and like any other one. We know what's going on with our team. Especially when Chris f'ing Sale gets traded. lol

Spent plenty of time in Chicago. Enough to know that for every White Sox fan, there are a few thousand Cubs fans, and that's when the Cubs suck.

Then again, it's entirely possible that I don't see the vast majority of the White Sox fan base when I visit Chicago because they're locked up in federal prisons.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... they do not.

Especially when he's leaving anyway, and a rebuild is coming.

Oh, you're a fucking dipshit.

You keep carrying this on as if fan backlash was the only thing I brought up.

Regardless, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, teams do consider and have to deal with fan backlash over moves they do or do not make.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fan backlash? Who cares? Make your team better, and that will save you from the same "fan backlash" later.

When the White Sox traded Sale, everybody understood.
This is apples and oranges..first off White Sox fans don't have the attention span to care who is traded, and Sale was a douche of the highest order

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why was this such a big deal? They were not going to afford him as a FA when the time came, and that roster was not built for contending. Your team got a nice haul of prospects to reload. In 2-3 years no know one in Chicago is even going to remember that Sale wore a uniform or was ever butthurt about a gay throwback uniform.

Last edited:

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a disappointment to myself as well. It's just so damn hard to stand up to my indifference these days.
You remind of a lot of the 95 White Sox. They were 4-5 games out of the division and just plumb gave up.

There WILL be a Redfoot Fan Backlash over this! FUCKING COUNT ON IT!!!!!!

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spent plenty of time in Chicago. Enough to know that for every White Sox fan, there are a few thousand Cubs fans, and that's when the Cubs suck.

Then again, it's entirely possible that I don't see the vast majority of the White Sox fan base when I visit Chicago because they're locked up in federal prisons.
Federal? That makes them seem like an educated white collared bunch..which is VERY misleading

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah... you're a troll. lol

You and Doug are probably fun in this thread together. Can't wait

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Federal? That makes them seem like an educated white collared bunch..which is VERY misleading

Yeah, unfortunately, as far as the prison hierarchy goes... we never make it past the drunk tank.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, unfortunately, as far as the prison hierarchy goes... we never make it past the drunk tank.
I never thought New Era caps and flannels buttoned at the neck would play at a ball park but you guys make it work somehow

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was this such a big deal? They were not going to afford him as a FA when the time came, and that roster was not built for contending. Your team got a nice haul of prospects to reload. In 2-3 years no know one in Chicago is even going to remember that Sale wore a uniform or was ever butthurt about a gay throwback uniform.

You realize that this conversation started, because I said EXACTLY what you said... right? lol.

I straight up said, that Sox fans understood the Sale trade, and the Eaton trade.

I don't know who you're trying to convince, or what you're trying to convince him of.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize that this conversation started, because I said EXACTLY what you said... right? lol.

I straight up said, that Sox fans understood the Sale trade, and the Eaton trade.

I don't know who you're trying to convince, or what you're trying to convince him of.

Are you ESL?