• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, losing arguably your 2nd best player for the season 5 minutes in and looking like one of the most impressive teams in the league is truly remarkable. Stevens can coach.

Sam Presti needs to work his magic again and figure out a trade of Donovan for Stevens.:D

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Presti needs to work his magic again and figure out a trade of Donovan for Stevens.:D

I doubt that what the Thunder are going through now will last all season (which pisses me off).

Right now, it looks to me like they are going through what the Heat went through in the first season of their "Big 3."

Ever since the trades, they've heard how it won't work because of egos and all 3 of them wanting/needing the ball. Like the Heat before them, they look like they are trying to "take turns" to make sure each of them gets his fair share of shots. So they end up with 3 guys taking turns playing iso ball. That's why they are averaging the fewest passes in the league right now.

The Heat figured it out well enough to get to the finals in that first season. Then, before the 2nd season started, they figured out that the best way for them to win was to run the offense through Lebron and let him look for the open man/hot hand rather than taking turns. That led to back to back titles.

Having said that, Westbrook is the logical choice to run the offense and he's no Lebron when it comes to sharing the ball. So he will have to be willing to sacrifice shots which seems like a big ask for him. Also, the Heat play in the East where they could get away with it in that first season because they just out talented the rest of the conference.

Unfortunately for them, the Thunder don't have that luxury because they play in the West and their win vs. the Clips last night brought them to 1-6 vs. the West so far this season.

Last edited:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope not at all. I'm satisfied with out record at the moment. We also had a chance to win every game this season except for our losses vs the spurs and warriors. All the other games could have been a heat win had things gone slightly differently in the final 2 minutes of those other 4 losses

If Whiteside didnt suck, he’d get more then 20 rebounds vs Gobert :rolleyes2:

My holdout paid off, got my seats back, I feel complete again. :yes:

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of injury forced him to leave and not return?
Took a wicked elbow to the face from Aron Baynes... possible concussion.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that what the Thunder are going through now will last all season (which pisses me off).

Right now, it looks to me like they are going through what the Heat went through in the first season of their "Big 3."

Ever since the trades, they've heard how it won't work because of egos and all 3 of them wanting/needing the ball. Like the Heat before them, they look like they are trying to "take turns" to make sure each of them gets his fair share of shots. So they end up with 3 guys taking turns playing iso ball. That's why they are averaging the fewest passes in the league right now.

The Heat figured it out well enough to get to the finals in that first season. Then, before the 2nd season started, they figured out that the best way for them to win was to run the offense through Lebron and let him look for the open man/hot hand rather than taking turns. That led to back to back titles.

Having said that, Westbrook is the logical choice to run the offense and he's no Lebron when it comes to sharing the ball. So he will have to be willing to sacrifice shots which seems like a big ask for him. Also, the Heat play in the East where they could get away with it in that first season because they just out talented the rest of the conference.

Unfortunately for them, the Thunder don't have that luxury because they play in the West and their win vs. the Clips last night brought them to 1-6 vs. the West so far this season.

I agree but some on here think RW is a ball-hog/ball-stopper.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is. That's the concern re: him running the offense. Lebron running the offense in Miami worked because Lebron is a willing passer (to a fault at times).

Westbrook isn't a willing passer, especially late in close games. So for it to work, he will essentially have to make some fairly significant changes to how he's played his entire career.

Reactions: LAD

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of injury forced him to leave and not return?
He took an accidental bow to the face from his teammate

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's because he is at times - especially in the last 2-3 minutes when the game is on the line.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is. That's the concern re: him running the offense. Lebron running the offense in Miami worked because Lebron is a willing passer (to a fault at times).

Westbrook isn't a willing passer, especially late in close games. So for it to work, he will essentially have to make some fairly significant changes to how he's played his entire career.
Get out of my head!!!!!!!!!!! :heh:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good analogy.

2 differences though. First, The Heat big 3 were a lot better. LeBron and Wade were both as good if not better than current Russ. Bosh was as good or better than PG13. No, they had no Adams, but still.

Second, as you mentioned, the West is much stronger. If they can't turn things around soon, their playoff seeding may not even allow them to make a deep playoff run.

Reactions: LAD