• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 U.S. Open (August 29- September 11)

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pouring in the Bronx in the Yankees game as well. They better close that roof now before court gets too wet.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nishikori is too feeble to win a slam, IMO. He gives everything he has just to get the semis. He'll be a shell of what he was today for the rest of the tournament.

and beating either of them will take more out of an already depleted gas tank for nishikori, who has consistently proven he's weak. he'll be useless by the final if he does make it that far.
hey look!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Stan won his last 10 appearances in finals. Impressive.

Stan has become my favorite player since Roddick retired. Really hope he wins on Sunday. Would be amazing for him to have won 3 of 4 majors. Even if he does win, I don't ever see him winning Wimbledon

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a great grand slam year for Kei. Eliminated in the round of 16 twice. Made the Quarter finals and semi finals at his best surface on the Hard Courts in Australia and New York.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this new roof. Cant wait for the new Armstrong too.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this new roof. Cant wait for the new Armstrong too.

I kinda wish they made the new grandstand with a roof also then we would have been on the Aussie Open level. They're ahead of all the other majors out in Australia. 3 retractable roofs out there.

One thing I like about the US Open is how they don't close the roof due to hot weather.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so it's the final, and it's my first time seeing kerber play in the tournament

her 2nd serve is garbage. wow.

pliskova is sloooooow moving to her right.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big break by Kei. Roof is likely going to close now. Just started pouring here in Brooklyn. Should be in Queens shortly.

How far apart is Brooklyn from Flushing Meadows?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stan has become my favorite player since Roddick retired. Really hope he wins on Sunday. Would be amazing for him to have won 3 of 4 majors. Even if he does win, I don't ever see him winning Wimbledon

I won't say "never" on that. He has to get the right matchup, and keep his errors down. He has to get the right breaks in the draw, whereas at other majors he doesn't need them.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a great grand slam year for Kei. Eliminated in the round of 16 twice. Made the Quarter finals and semi finals at his best surface on the Hard Courts in Australia and New York.

But it also doesn't feel like he underachieved, IMO. Losing to Djokovic at the AO, Gasquet at the FO, retiring against Cilic at Wimbledon, and losing to Wawrinka at USO. No bad losses.

It's also just not a sign of him stepping up either.

It's probably where he is. He can step up at a major once in a while, and lose to better players more often than not.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so it's the final, and it's my first time seeing kerber play in the tournament

her 2nd serve is garbage. wow.

pliskova is sloooooow moving to her right.

Yeah, I cringed at her 2nd serves.

It was better at other tourneys, if at least by just a little.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Women's tennis is so boring

Not sure if you're being sarcastic.

I thought that was a good match.

Exciting 3rd set, Kerber had to fight back being down a break. Then she was steadier at the end, while Pliskova made some errors. But her breaking Pliskova late in the set wasn't a given, I was thinking 3rd set tiebreaker.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought the Wawrinka vs. Nishikori SF was good.

Sometimes his errors pile up, and Nishikori was moving him around more late in the match. But Wawrinka won the points he had to win.

Wawrinka also had to save a lot of break points in the 2nd.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted about this in the Wimbledon thread, and it's still true in the US Open broadcast.

ESPN shits on the FO, by never showing video clips of it. They'll only show still images.

They do the same thing for the Olympics. They won't show clips, only still images. So when they show Venus winning her mixed silver medal, they're only showing an image of her.

What, does ESPN not want to pay royalties to NBC (who broadcasted the FO and the Olympics)?

There was another humorous moment about this during a studio segment.

LZ Granderson was recalling his favorite moment from the Wawrinka-Djokovic FO Finals in 2015. He said the shot Wawrinka hit around the net post from that match was one of his favorite shots ever.

ESPN then show an image of Wawrinka from that match (not even an image of that shot that was being discussed).

They then cut back to the studio. A dejected LZ Granderson said "Oh, I thought we were going to show a highlight clip of that shot."

LOL. :(

And it's not that ESPN won't show highlights from other networks. They'll show Tennis Channel highlights, like when they show a clip of a match from Tokyo or Rome. They just aren't doing NBC matches.

And because NBC broadcasted 2 of the biggest tourneys of the tennis season, in the French Open and the Olympics, it's annoying to only see still images, and not clips.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I looked up how much tickets and a flight from West Coast to East Coast was yesterday evening.

Ticket prices weren't bad. I could have gotten something on the baseline side in the 300 level section for $170. Not sure I would have really wanted to sit there. And as of now, it's dropped to $132. I think something in the outer 100 level section (the middle outer section) would have given a better view.

I also see right now that if I change my filter from 1 ticket to 2 tickets, there's a section 121, row B for $190 per ticket. 2 tickets of those are less than what 1 ticket costs for the same search (~ $423 if I search for 1 ticket). But that's only because this is a one of a kind deal with that one ticket at a good price.

Most other 1 ticket or 2 ticket searches show the $400+ per ticket in the 100 level section. So that really is a one or 2 of a kind deal.

BTW, you can only show tickets from a mobile device, on entry, if it's purchased through Ticket Master. It's in their FAQ. So you can't show a mobile device ticket if purchased from another reseller.

The problem with the West Coast to East Coast is the cost of the flight. I saw one flight were I would have arrived at JFK airport by 7:30am. But, it was at least $550 per one-way, so at least $1100 round trip for a flight.

Ugh.

When I saw the ticket price last night, I thought that's not too bad. But the cost of the flight killed me.

Also, if it's possible to print tickets once at an airport, I'd wait until the morning of, to get an even better deal on a ticket, like right now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During a studio segment yesterday, Jason Goodall said that Nadal is out of the Big Four. He said he's replacing him with Wawrinka.

The others were astonished. But he explained that right now, Wawrinka gives you a better chance to win a major, than Nadal. And that Nadal hasn't shown much in a few years.

If there's still going to be terms like "Big Four", even though it doesn't really make sense given the current dominance level of those players, then I agree with him. Or I'd just call it a Big Five, etc.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sort of.

ZozbWTa.png

2 of them are Grand Slam Finals.
1 Masters 1000, Monte Carlo
3 500 level tourneys, Rotterdam, Japan, Dubai)
4 250 level events (Chennai 3x, Geneva)

The GS Finals, Masters 1000s, and the 500 level tourneys are good wins. The 250 level ones, not as much.

Even for the 500 level tourneys, it's still only tough sometimes.

In 2016 Dubai, his toughest opponents were Kohlschreiber; Krygios; Baghdatis in the Finals.

In 2015 Japan, Muller and Paire.

In 2015 Rotterdam, Raonic and Berdych in the Finals.

His wins against players CURRENTLY in the top 20 this year are Krygios in Dubai; Cilic in Geneva; and Nishikori and the USO. He has a 3 - 6 record against players currently in the top 20. Not too great.

His losses were against Raonic at the AO; Goffin at Indian Wells; Nadal at Monte Carlo; Krygios at Madrid; Murray at the FO; Nishikori at Canada.

While the record isn't great, those losses aren't too bad, now that I look at them.

Sometimes he beats those guys, sometimes he loses.

He's had an inconsistent year, though.

BTW, Nishikori had been 5 - 0 at the USO against Top 10 players before his Wawrinka loss this year (Ferrer 2008; Raonic/Wawrinka/Djokovic 2014; Murray 2016).