• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gonna be interesting to see which team Wiggy switches to once LeClown hangs 'em up...

Probably Golden State and then claim he was a HUGE Warriors fan all this time and that Steph Curry is the greatest player that ever lived.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they have to though?

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the contract extension offered was 100% initiated by

He might shoot better than Dad already. LOL.

Seriously though, if he stays hungry and learns to play the right way, he is going to be very good. He obviously has genetics on his side.

No, they didn't have to.

They initiated the extension, no negotiations.

But, like Dirk in Dallas, they had already whiffed in Free Agency.

Paying him didn't prevent them from getting another max player unless you think his presence alone made other guys stay away.

Reactions: LAD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they didn't have to.

They initiated the extension, no negotiations.

But, like Dirk in Dallas, they had already whiffed in Free Agency.

Paying him didn't prevent them from getting another max player unless you think his presence alone made other guys stay away.

LOL. That was the start to a deleted post that somehow reappeared.

What I was going to say was offer was initiated by the Lakers as a starting point. I think that is why people had a hard time with it. Kobe was not even asking for that contract, they just gave it to him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. That was the start to a deleted post that somehow reappeared.

What I was going to say was offer was initiated by the Lakers as a starting point. I think that is why people had a hard time with it. Kobe was not even asking for that contract, they just gave it to him.

They didn't have to pay him that much. They did so as way to thank him and honor him for being a Laker for his entire career and all of the great moments, titles, etc.

Jeanie said that because Magic had to retire so suddenly, the Lakers never got the chance to properly honor/reward him at the end of his career. She said that she decided then that if the Lakers ever got another generational type player like that, she would make sure that he was properly honored.

From everything I read and heard, the Lakers made the offer, Kobe asked if there would still be enough cap space left to sign another max level player, the Lakers said "Yes" Kobe said "Cool" and signed the contract.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is still an apples to oranges comparison.

Everybody is getting 25 million a year now, so Dirk's contract is not the albatross that Kobe's was. I am not blaming Kobe for taking the money, but the context is very different. Also, Dirk waited until after Cuban exhausted his other options. I bet he would have signed for less (again) if the Mavs needed the cap space to sign another star.

The point you're missing is that Kobe's contract wasn't an albatross, and didn't keep them from signing anyone; the state of their team and W/L record was keeping them from signing anyone, along with tanking to keep their lottery picks if they couldn't land a top FA. They had the money to pursue Melo, they had the money to pursue Aldridge, they just decided to sign elsewhere.

It's all fine and dandy that Dirk took less, but it was a foolhardy decision. Cuban couldn't get anyone with that money that made a difference to keep the Mavs in true contention.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't have to pay him that much. They did so as way to thank him and honor him for being a Laker for his entire career and all of the great moments, titles, etc.

Jeanie said that because Magic had to retire so suddenly, the Lakers never got the chance to properly honor/reward him at the end of his career. She said that she decided then that if the Lakers ever got another generational type player like that, she would make sure that he was properly honored.

From everything I read and heard, the Lakers made the offer, Kobe asked if there would still be enough cap space left to sign another max level player, the Lakers said "Yes" Kobe said "Cool" and signed the contract.

Magic signed that 25 year $1M per contract in 1984 (when only two other players were making $1M per year), so he was under contract anyway. The HIV business derailed any true send-off, although it was nice to see him back during his comeback, even if he was a very different player at that point.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point you're missing is that Kobe's contract wasn't an albatross, and didn't keep them from signing anyone; the state of their team and W/L record was keeping them from signing anyone, along with tanking to keep their lottery picks if they couldn't land a top FA. They had the money to pursue Melo, they had the money to pursue Aldridge, they just decided to sign elsewhere.

It's all fine and dandy that Dirk took less, but it was a foolhardy decision. Cuban couldn't get anyone with that money that made a difference to keep the Mavs in true contention.

Kobe made 2 million more than the 2nd highest paid player in the league (LeBron) last year. It may have been less than what he made on the contract before, where he was making 8-10 million more than anybody else, but is was absolutely an albatross contract given what he had left in the tank.

I completely understand why the Lakers offered it, but don't tell me I am missing anything. I am not. While management may have told Kobe that they had room to sign another max player, they failed to consider the scenerio.

Realistically, what high end player would sign on to a max deal that would pay him less than a 36/37 year old Kobe coming off a major injury? Especially when Kobe has always had a reputation for being difficult to play with.

Lakers fans are cool with it, which is fine, but don't tell me that Kobe's contract did not lead to the Lakers tanking the last two seasons. Whether intentional or not, it was a highly predictable outcome as soon as the ink was dry.

Had he signed a Dirk type deal, those big free agents would have been much more likely to sign because it would have indicated that Kobe was willing to take a back seat. Remaining the highest paid player in the league indicates the exact opposite. It did not work in Dallas because Dallas is not as attractive a market as LA. It might not have worked in LA either, but don't say that Dirk was foolish to try. He was helping his organization.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe made 2 million more than the 2nd highest paid player in the league (LeBron) last year. It may have been less than what he made on the contract before, where he was making 8-10 million more than anybody else, but is was absolutely an albatross contract given what he had left in the tank.

I completely understand why the Lakers offered it, but don't tell me I am missing anything. I am not. While management may have told Kobe that they had room to sign another max player, they failed to consider the scenerio.

Realistically, what high end player would sign on to a max deal that would pay him less than a 36/37 year old Kobe coming off a major injury? Especially when Kobe has always had a reputation for being difficult to play with.

Lakers fans are cool with it, which is fine, but don't tell me that Kobe's contract did not lead to the Lakers tanking the last two seasons. Whether intentional or not, it was a highly predictable outcome as soon as the ink was dry.

Had he signed a Dirk type deal, those big free agents would have been much more likely to sign because it would have indicated that Kobe was willing to take a back seat.
Remaining the highest paid player in the league indicates the exact opposite. It did not work in Dallas because Dallas is not as attractive a market as LA. It might not have worked in LA either, but don't say that Dirk was foolish to try. He was helping his organization.

Would they have though? The big free agents didn't sign with the Lakers because Kobe was broken down not because of the amount of his contract.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kobe must not be great at math then...lol

signing for 24 M a year when the cap is barely over 60 pretty much rules out adding to your team.....

almost 40% of your cap on one player will simply cripple your team- especially where Kobe was at in his career.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would they have though? The big free agents didn't sign with the Lakers because Kobe was broken down not because of the amount of his contract.
id say both played a very important role.--- and the kobe "broken down" stuff i think was probably less a deterrent than his actual style of play was...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Had he signed a Dirk type deal, those big free agents would have been much more likely to sign because it would have indicated that Kobe was willing to take a back seat. Remaining the highest paid player in the league indicates the exact opposite. It did not work in Dallas because Dallas is not as attractive a market as LA. It might not have worked in LA either, but don't say that Dirk was foolish to try. He was helping his organization.
i dont understand why the lakers offered it- they were bidding against themselves.....

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id say both played a very important role.--- and the kobe "broken down" stuff i think was probably less a deterrent than his actual style of play was...

Go ahead and add style of play to a broken down body. Those two factors played a bigger role than the contract.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody was signing in LA to play with beat up Kobe and a bunch of kids and castoffs. They had max money to offer. Kobe was in the meetings, he could tell them the situation face to face.

Kobe is only difficult to play with if you aren't going to bring it every time. He put in an incredible amount of work and couldn't deal with others not taking it as seriously as he did. That's why he couldn't put up with clown shoes Dwight.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lies!!!!!!!!

Clippers Fans, PLURAL, are like the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot.....

I was nowhere near Staples.....:usa2:

Kevin Durant and Draymond Green were booed by the sellout crowd at Staples Center before Team USA’s 106-57 win over China on Sunday. They didn’t notice. “I did? Huh,” Durant said of being booed. “I didn’t hear it.” Golden State Warriors general manager Bob Myers did, though, and he had a theory. “I think it’s Clipper fans because they cheered DeAndre [Jordan],” Myers said. “That’s just my guess.”
– via ESPN.com

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holly shit!

But, it makes sense.

Bobby Marks: Portland was not going to be a player in FA next summer even with the McCollum cap hold. Makes sense to lock him up now and not wait.
– via Twitter BobbyMarks42

McCollum clearly would’ve been destined for a maximum offer sheet as a restricted free agent in the summer of 2017, and the Blazers eliminated the possibility of a “poison pill” offer sheet that could’ve allowed McCollum into unrestricted free agency with a player option on the third year of his deal. McCollum’s extension will start in the 2017-18 season, and he will earn $3.2 million in 2016-17, the last year of his current rookie contract. McCollum will earn approximately $23.9 million, $25.7 million, $27.5 million and $29.3 million over the course of the four-year deal – based upon the projected $102 million salary cap next year.
– via Yahoo! Sports

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holly shit!

But, it makes sense.

Bobby Marks: Portland was not going to be a player in FA next summer even with the McCollum cap hold. Makes sense to lock him up now and not wait.
– via Twitter BobbyMarks42

McCollum clearly would’ve been destined for a maximum offer sheet as a restricted free agent in the summer of 2017, and the Blazers eliminated the possibility of a “poison pill” offer sheet that could’ve allowed McCollum into unrestricted free agency with a player option on the third year of his deal. McCollum’s extension will start in the 2017-18 season, and he will earn $3.2 million in 2016-17, the last year of his current rookie contract. McCollum will earn approximately $23.9 million, $25.7 million, $27.5 million and $29.3 million over the course of the four-year deal – based upon the projected $102 million salary cap next year.
– via Yahoo! Sports
Mecca- maybe you remember

remember when Brandon Roy got injury waived by the Blazers- and then Minnesota signed him?

who- before that- did the Blazers really piss the Twolves off about signing someone from them witht he poison pill type deal?

because then- Minne came back- and signed Roy- after the injury thing with Portland--- and ALL that money went back on Portlands books screwing them.......

do you remember what i am talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.