• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, a Kobe deal. How about that.

Nope, this is backpay for Dirk. Did Kobe ever take a 3 year 21M deal to save his team money when he could have easily commanded a max salary still at that point? Dirk did.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scorers....Kevin Martin, Gerald Green, Waiters, Jr. Smith, Jason Terry.....

Defenders ...Lance Stephenson....Maybe Chalmers...

The carcass of Josh Smith in the post?

Gerald Green would be really interesting if it wasn't for whatever the hell happened to him off the court last year. Not sure if that's still a distraction.

I'm really not sure which direction the Warriors will go with that last roster spot. I could actually see the Warriors going to camp with that roster and leaving it open to sign a veteran cut at the deadline this year. There's really not that many interesting options left out there for them, if they made it a priority to resign Varaejo.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, this is backpay for Dirk. Did Kobe ever take a 3 year 21M deal to save his team money when he could have easily commanded a max salary still at that point? Dirk did.

...and that was foolhardy. The team did nothing positive with that money.

Dirk's last contract is for 2y/$50M total
Kobe's last contract was for 2y/$48.5M total

This contract puts Dirk within $70M of Kobe's #2 alltime earnings (Dirk is 3rd). Let's not act like Dirk is a pauper here. Also, he opted out of the final year of that 3y/21m deal for a sizable raise.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's why he's listed as a scorer.

There are no good two-way players left on the open market.

Even if there were, the Warriors couldn't afford them.

I meant the right side of the offensive court, lol. You know, he always goes right...?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gerald Green would be really interesting if it wasn't for whatever the hell happened to him off the court last year. Not sure if that's still a distraction.

I'm really not sure which direction the Warriors will go with that last roster spot. I could actually see the Warriors going to camp with that roster and leaving it open to sign a veteran cut at the deadline this year. There's really not that many interesting options left out there for them, if they made it a priority to resign Varaejo.

Yeah, did they ever say what that was about?

I remember something about a synthetic drug.

But, I don't think that was confirmed.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and that was foolhardy. The team did nothing positive with that money.

Dirk's last contract is for 2y/$50M total
Kobe's last contract was for 2y/$48.5M total

This contract puts Dirk within $70M of Kobe's #2 alltime earnings (Dirk is 3rd). Let's not act like Dirk is a pauper here. Also, he opted out of the final year of that 3y/21m deal for a sizable raise.

Dirk is still pretty good, though. He will probably continue shooting the ball really well during the next 2 seasons and he's got the size to continue pulling down boards. Plus, you can't really compare contracts of years prior to this offseason. $25M/year now is about the equovalent of $17M/year two years ago. Cuban is giving him more than he would get from another team, but if Dirk had really put himself out there in free agency, I would not have been surprised if he would've gotten offers between 15 to 20 million per year.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk is still pretty good, though. He will probably continue shooting the ball really well during the next 2 seasons and he's got the size to continue pulling down boards. Plus, you can't really compare contracts of years prior to this offseason. $25M/year now is about the equovalent of $17M/year two years ago. Cuban is giving him more than he would get from another team, but if Dirk had really put himself out there in free agency, I would not have been surprised if he would've gotten offers between 15 to 20 million per year.

Totally agree.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kobe took less money in his last deal than he was getting paid before. Technically he did take a paycut, but since it was Kobe it's all negative. For Dirk it's just back pay. Nothing but roses. Shit, Kobe has made the Lakers organization way more money than Dirk has and ever will for Dallas.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe took less money in his last deal than he was getting paid before. Technically he did take a paycut, but since it was Kobe it's all negative. For Dirk it's just back pay. Nothing but roses. Shit, Kobe has made the Lakers organization way more money than Dirk has and ever will for Dallas.

No question about Kobe making money for the Lakers, but Dirk will go down as the greatest Maverick to ever play. Dirk brought a championship to Dallas and another finals appearance without anyone even close to the level of a Shaq or prime Gasol. Add to that his sole championship was against a heat team with a prime Wade, Lebron and Bosh and that's an impressive feat. If Dirk had anywhere close to the level of help Duncan, Kobe or others did, he could easily have another championship or two.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question about Kobe making money for the Lakers, but Dirk will go down as the greatest Maverick to ever play. Dirk brought a championship to Dallas and another finals appearance without anyone even close to the level of a Shaq or prime Gasol. Add to that his sole championship was against a heat team with a prime Wade, Lebron and Bosh and that's an impressive feat. If Dirk had anywhere close to the level of help Duncan, Kobe or others did, he could easily have another championship or two.

I'm fine with the contract for Dirk. I don't begrudge athletes for getting paid what they do. I just felt like you were implying Dirk deserved his whereas Kobe did not. Seems a bit hypocritical if that's the case.

Reactions: LAD

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if you noticed...

But, Love sucked at that role too...lol

The Cavs have forced him into the role of jumpshooter.

He can do it in spurts.

But, it's wasteful to just have him hovering behind the 3 pt line praying that Kyrie passes him the ball.
LOL @ praying that Kyrie passes him the ball.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,979.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if you noticed...

But, Love sucked at that role too...lol

The Cavs have forced him into the role of jumpshooter.

He can do it in spurts.

But, it's wasteful to just have him hovering behind the 3 pt line praying that Kyrie passes him the ball.

This.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm...the reaction would have happened no matter what. Logical Cavs basketball fans knew he was gone. It was talked about basically the whole year maybe more. It didnt surprise me at all honestly

I have my two jerseys so that is just me personally. I guess I just know him better than others :laugh3:
:blah:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm sure Dirk hasn't earned his team nearly as much revenue as Kobe has for the Lakers over his career.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all of these points you mention is the reason most of us see this as a "Kobe" contract in what some might see as Dirk's final years.

When we compare their accolades they come pretty close to being equally valuable to their respective franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.