• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram needs to get some weight on those bones. That is the lankiest kid I've seen out there so far. If he isn't listening to those trying to tell him that he will get a lesson about it once the season starts and he gets pushed around like a rag doll.

During summer league they said he was on a 5000 calories a day regimen, along with working in the gym of course. He's 18, it will take some time to fill out. He's still growing too.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems likely that at least 3 or 4 of those players end up starting quality players at minimum (Russell, Ingram, Randle, Zubac). Clarkson may end up that 3rd guard and 6th man type, with Nance being a hardworking backup as well. So, I suppose they would look for a big time SG, but they only good SGs available in 2017 are restricted. Unless they choose to go the Westbrook route (and ultimately trade at least Russell and maybe Randle), I'm not sure what stars you expect them to chase.
ill guarantee you that at least 2 of those guys become failed journeyman...its just simple statistics...well - i shouldnt say GUARANTEE- i should say HIGHLY likely. It just what it is....go back to the nearest NBA draft with any kind of time to look back on...look at TOP 5 picks- probably 40% of them fail- and at LEAST 20% fail spectacularly...its just not realistic to say- hey we have 6 rooks with high ceilings- we should be great 3-4 years from now....its just now how the NBA works.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Nets and Sixers are the teams he is discussing terms with other than the Cavs...

if he wants to make every last cent then he is gone- thats always been the case. If he is willing to take a deal similar to Crawford in LAC- then he will be back

if he wants like 4 years 60 than i doubt he is back

all in all i would predict he will be back though and sign at something like 3 years 42.

Why?
1. Signed with Klutch.
2. He's been very good most if the time.
3. Would you have any available cap space if he leaves?
4. Thought Gilbert didn't consider money/luxury tax
5. Pretty sure James waved Delly bye-bye because he knew he'd reward J.R..

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering they're coming off a championship, I think it's highly important. Their championship window is now and if their best chance to repeat would be by bringing back a guy as Wiggy said who hit 200+ 3 pointers for them last year.

Dunleavy was a great find for them off the bench, but they also lost Delly who shot great from 3 last year. So in terms of shooting Dunleavy and Delly cancel each other out.
i am a little worried about backup PG for the Cavs

I really think the Cavs thought Delly was pretty much a replacement level guy and couldnt take him on the payroll at 9M per year- esp. after Mo is coming back and they bought the Felder pick.

it just worries me because both Mo and Felder are smaller, less physical offensive players. Mo can definitely pick up Dellys shooting no problemm---- the perimeter D is what will be lacking.

A Norris Cole or Mario Chalmers at a vet. min. or the rest of the taxpayer MLE would sound good to me- and then let Felder develop a little bit.

All though- i think they are committed to giving McRae some run this year- as they picked him up for his defensive potential and size- and he has done a nice job adding an offensive game. I bet they give McRae a decent sum of Dellys minutes.....if he is effective- great- if not- im sure around the buyout deadline they will look into it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?
1. Signed with Klutch.
are you just a huge fucking moron?

do you understand that their is difference between being a cheap bastard- and planning ahead

doing cheap shit like leaving your MLE open is what cheap bastards do. attaching assets to get rid of shit contracts is what cheap bastards do--- thisi s what pissed Lebron off about arison

If it was just straight cash homie- delly would be back- but its not- they arent gonna keep a 4th point guard at what they value as being WAAY overpaid- when they have felder and mcrae who atually might have higher ceilings and more diverse skill sets.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really think the Cavs thought Delly was pretty much a replacement level guy and couldnt take him on the payroll at 9M per year- esp. after Mo is coming back and they bought the Felder pick.

it just worries me because both Mo and Felder are smaller, less physical offensive players. Mo can definitely pick up Dellys shooting no problemm---- the perimeter D is what will be lacking.

A Norris Cole or Mario Chalmers at a vet. min. or the rest of the taxpayer MLE would sound good to me- and then let Felder develop a little bit.

All though- i think they are committed to giving McRae some run this year- as they picked him up for his defensive potential and size- and he has done a nice job adding an offensive game. I bet they give McRae a decent sum of Dellys minutes.....if he is effective- great- if not- im sure around the buyout deadline they will look into it.

Yeah you're a little thing in the back court. Lebron handling the ball a lot helps. Dunleavy is servicable too in the half court, but you probably don't want him handling the ball full time.

Mo will probably get a lot of run. Not sure they'll trust Felder with this veteran group just yet. Maybe you guys will use the exception towards the deadline to acquire someone else. Maybe a Devin Harris or a JJ Barea.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you just a huge fucking moron?

do you understand that their is difference between being a cheap bastard- and planning ahead

doing cheap shit like leaving your MLE open is what cheap bastards do. attaching assets to get rid of shit contracts is what cheap bastards do--- thisi s what pissed Lebron off about arison

If it was just straight cash homie- delly would be back- but its not- they arent gonna keep a 4th point guard at what they value as being WAAY overpaid- when they have felder and mcrae who atually might have higher ceilings and more diverse skill sets.

FUCK OFF.
You're the only fool on planet earth that thinks the Cavs are smarter/better run then the Heat.
Justify it anyway you want, but anyone with a brain can smell your bullshit.

Moving on.

I wasn't criticizing any moves made so far because they were the correct moves IMO.

Then, I said JR has been GOOD. You NEED him IMO.

He WILL be resigned and WILL be overpaid though.

If you disagree, let's bet...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you're a little thing in the back court. Lebron handling the ball a lot helps. Dunleavy is servicable too in the half court, but you probably don't want him handling the ball full time.

Mo will probably get a lot of run. Not sure they'll trust Felder with this veteran group just yet. Maybe you guys will use the exception towards the deadline to acquire someone else. Maybe a Devin Harris or a JJ Barea.
Shumpert actually was given some ball handling responsbilities as well at times.

between LeBron, Kyrie, Mo, Shumpert etc...they have PLENTY of ball handlers....id just like a little bit more size and toughness out there- but i think they are hoping McRae gives them that this year at a fraction of what Delly would have needed to be paid for.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, Smith has not been a valuable asset for NBA teams over the course of his career. He took a ton of bad shots, made poor decisions with the ball, was a mediocre defender and a locker room issue.

All of those things changed this season. Could he regress? Sure, it is possible, but I think he has genuinely matured. If he stays with Cleveland, he will continue to be the same guy. In Philly or Brooklyn, he probably tries to do way too much again.

What does not get noticed with Smith is his defense. In addition to the floor spacing he provides, he has turned into a good defender. Unless you are replacing him with Klay Thompson, Khris Middleton, or Kawhi Leonard (all very impossible) the Cavs get a lot worse if they lose Smith.
I don't know- a leopard rarely changes it's spots. If we were talking about a pick up game on the black top then sure, you can take a chance on picking him. But we're talking about $15 mil a season-for multiple seasons when the only think we know for sure about him are his bad tendencies. It's not like he's a rookie and have plenty of room for growth.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?
1. Signed with Klutch.

Yup. He lets JR walk, the Cavs got weaker. They replaced Delly with Mo Williams who got burn at the end of the Finals. Traded Mozgov (who wasn't getting much playing time) for Birdman (who's about done as a basketball player), and then their starting 2-guard, who they can't get a quality player for the minimum at that position. Although, they did add Dunleavy who's good if his back is fine.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During summer league they said he was on a 5000 calories a day regimen, along with working in the gym of course. He's 18, it will take some time to fill out. He's still growing too.
Well I hope for his sake he picks up some weight fast cause he's gonna need it in like 3 months.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. He lets JR walk, the Cavs got weaker. They replaced Delly with Mo Williams who got burn at the end of the Finals. Traded Mozgov (who wasn't getting much playing time) for Birdman (who's about done as a basketball player), and then their starting 2-guard, who they can't get a quality player for the minimum at that position. Although, they did add Dunleavy who's good if his back is fine.
LOL @ if his back is fine.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Durant said Ingram was the first guy to come in the league that he could look at and honestly see himself.

Durant turned out okay.

Thon Maker is in the same boat, weight wise.

But, both guys are uber-talented.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hope for his sake he picks up some weight fast cause he's gonna need it in like 3 months.

No, you are right......its gonna take years for his body to fill out.

But, he will be okay.

You remember how skinny Garnett, Kd were?

Hell, look at Porzingis last Season.

Everyone said he would get owned and was light years away.

Dude got his man last year.

The fact that Ingram is a finesse player, that shots a lot of jumpers well, will work in his favor.

He's not looking to bang in the post.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd take Chalmers over Cole.

Mario knows how to stay in his lane.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you are right......its gonna take years for his body to fill out.

But, he will be okay.

You remember how skinny Garnett, Kd were?

Hell, look at Porzingis last Season.

Everyone said he would get owned and was light years away.

Dude got his man last year.

The fact that Ingram is a finesse player, that shots a lot of jumpers well, will work in his favor.

He's not looking to bang in the post.

Filling out is not necessarily a requirement for him. It's more about just adding some strength to be able to defend against stronger guys and to absorb punishment while taking the ball to the hoop. KD is still skinny to this day, but he does a great job of getting to the rim and finishing. That's all Ingram really needs to do. Develop his body so that he can withstand the rigors of the NBA game.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filling out is not necessarily a requirement for him. It's more about just adding some strength to be able to defend against stronger guys and to absorb punishment while taking the ball to the hoop. KD is still skinny to this day, but he does a great job of getting to the rim and finishing. That's all Ingram really needs to do. Develop his body so that he can withstand the rigors of the NBA game.

Yep, Garnett is still a skeleton too.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill guarantee you that at least 2 of those guys become failed journeyman...its just simple statistics...well - i shouldnt say GUARANTEE- i should say HIGHLY likely. It just what it is....go back to the nearest NBA draft with any kind of time to look back on...look at TOP 5 picks- probably 40% of them fail- and at LEAST 20% fail spectacularly...its just not realistic to say- hey we have 6 rooks with high ceilings- we should be great 3-4 years from now....its just now how the NBA works.

You don't need statistics to evaluate these guys; they're right in front of you. Randle was the first chosen at 8th overall two years ago, is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best pick in his draft to this point. He averaged a double-double last year, basically as a rookie. Clarkson was a 2nd round pick that year and made the all-rookie team. Russell struggled a bit last year, but things were looking up as the season ended and that continued through summer league and now the select team. Nance isn't going to set the world on fire, but he's a solid depth guy. Ingram and Zubac only have summer league to fall back on thus far (and Ingram had a mediocre showing until he became the top option with Russell and Nance sidelined in the last game), but I will take my chances with those two.

Whether or not they fit together as a unit remains to be seen of course. Particularly, I'm not sure Russell and Clarkson will work together long term, as both will want the ball in their hands. It all depends on how they buy into the new scheme Walton is bringing in. Improvement as a team is coming this year, but it will take a few years to get to contender status. They're following the Warriors model, but it could take longer as the Warriors weren't built with one-and-done draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.