• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert was fully ready to go into spending mode the summer lebron came back....he re-directed the plane from Indiana and Gordon Heyward to Miami and LeBron......he bought the pick that became kyrie for basically 40 million dollars, lol.....he bought tons of picks and assets....

its what OKC did, what the Sixers are doing, even what hte Lakers did to a certain smaller extent....you raze your team to the ground, rent out your cap space for assets, collect assets for 2-3 years and then try and form your team.....the Cavs said- SURE- ill take Luke Walton and pay him 15 million for your first rounder and a right to swap another first rounder--- the Cavs siad SURE- ill take Baron DAvis and the 42 million left on his deal for your lotto pick---- the Cavs said sure-- ill take Wayne Ellington and Speights off your cap for a first rounder....etc. etc....

If the Heat are smart- over the next few years they will replenish their depleted stock pile of picks to do the same thing.

the point is- if you are not ready to compete for a title- overpaying middling players in order to get the 7th or 8 seed just to say you are spending is not only stupid- but counter productive.....

Ok, I agree with most of the shit that you're saying in terms of rebuilding. However, the Cavs simply tanked to build a cache of assets that lured Lebron back. Not every other team can follow that model as the Cavs were lucky in the sense that Lebron's from Ohio who happens to stay close to his roots.

Heat fans have already accepted that we'll be doing a rebuild at this point. Bosh may retire and Wade may leave. I'm all for it, I like the young players that we have now and the 2017 draft is deep.

And the Heat are not overpaying for anyone right now long-term. Only long-term contracts on the Heat are Whiteside, Dragic, and Bosh (may retire). My point being is that Gilbert's willing to spend in the luxury tax right now, and that's fine. But stating that he's willing to spend so far into it than anyone else is asinine given that no one else has the opportunity to. However, Golden State's ownership will be outspending Cleveland starting next year when both Durant and Curry are free agents, as well as Iggy when his contract is up.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you been getting a little bit too much Sun?

You look.....different...lol

Haha, verrrryyy funny. Blame the Slinkster. It's my Av punishment...

Course it ain't NEARLY as funny as when WiggityWack had to sport Curry...:heh:

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors played that defense because they can lol they have awesome defenders in iggy and green. I thought green on lebron and iggy on kyrie worked for the short period at times but kerr didnt wanna stick with it for whatever reason

It is often not as important as who matches up on who ... the good team's on offense will force a switch anyhow. Both the Cavs & Ws do this well on offense. Those teams work best when there are no obvious weak defenders on the floor so they can switch everything. (Cavs even did this with Love & Curry ... it didn't kill them.) Watch for other teams to try to get the ZaZa switch as much as possible while he is in.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not even close...lol

I love Lebron.

I'm not sure how this is different from him joining the Heat to play buddy ball or Aldridge going to the Spurs.

Yes, the Warriors are a established Team.

But, so we're the Spurs.

Even with the Heat, he and Bosh joined a team that went 47-35 the season before he arrived. I think the biggest difference (or at least the one people are clinging to in their attempts to pretend that KD is somehow worse than Lebron now) is that he went to the team that just beat him, rather than trying to get better and beat them.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet people said the same thing Bron's first year in Miami.

the difference is- the Cavs have LeBron. As i have said many many times throughout the playoffs- since they started in May.....the team with the best player and the team that is mentally and physically tougher USUALLY win in the NBA. That is without a doubt the Cavs. the sky is the limit with kyrie too....curry guarding him was a joke- so they put curry on shumpert as much as they could---- and kyrie still lit up thompson.

high level iso in the pick and roll is very very hard to stop---- i guess now with durant it might be different, but there is no question that kyrie and lebron are much better at attacking and finishing then anyone on golden state...

golden state runs a great system- and they will again be heavy favorites, but as long as they rarely go to the rim and have absolutely zero post presence, you can game plan a little for that offense since it can be pretty one dimensional- jump shooting- as we saw the thunder and cavs do.

You do not watch the warriors if you think all they do is shoot jumpers. Wow.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I agree with most of the shit that you're saying in terms of rebuilding. However, the Cavs simply tanked to build a cache of assets that lured Lebron back. Not every other team can follow that model as the Cavs were lucky in the sense that Lebron's from Ohio who happens to stay close to his roots.

Heat fans have already accepted that we'll be doing a rebuild at this point. Bosh may retire and Wade may leave. I'm all for it, I like the young players that we have now and the 2017 draft is deep.

And the Heat are not overpaying for anyone right now long-term. Only long-term contracts on the Heat are Whiteside, Dragic, and Bosh (may retire). My point being is that Gilbert's willing to spend in the luxury tax right now, and that's fine. But stating that he's willing to spend so far into it than anyone else is asinine given that no one else has the opportunity to. However, Golden State's ownership will be outspending Cleveland starting next year when both Durant and Curry are free agents, as well as Iggy when his contract is up.

Hilarious that Wiggy somehow thinks that Gilbert and Cavs invented spending way over the cap to try and keep a contender together.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that will be interesting when Curry is up next year....his contract will go from 11M a year to being eligiblef or a full Rose-Rule max that i believe is 33% of the cap....if next offseason the cap is 105....Curry and Durant will bth be eligible for contracts that start at about 34 million a piece.

Green and Thompson- much like KI and Love- signed long term deals fairly recently and got priced in under some really nice deals- so in that regard they are in solid shape...

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also people questioning warriors mental
Toughness. Draymond, david west, zaza are tough SOBs

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is often not as important as who matches up on who ... the good team's on offense will force a switch anyhow. Both the Cavs & Ws do this well on offense. Those teams work best when there are no obvious weak defenders on the floor so they can switch everything. (Cavs even did this with Love & Curry ... it didn't kill them.) Watch for other teams to try to get the ZaZa switch as much as possible while he is in.
lol....who said Kevin Love cant play defense???? Hassan Whiteside eat your heart out.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hilarious that Wiggy somehow thinks that Gilbert and Cavs invented spending way over the cap to try and keep a contender together.
definitely didnt invent it- just are by far the biggest spenders in the NBA right now. This is a game, a hobby to Gilbert.

that $60 million dollar check he has to cut to the league- in his mind- is well worth it to be the owner who delivered the first title to Cleveland in 52 years.

how many yachts can you water ski behind?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be interesting in this uptempo style of offense. However, defensively he is a major weakness.

Yeah, in the pre-season, he looked like a poorman's Steve Nash. Then, for most of the regular season, he didn't play as well and got buried on the bench. Towards the end of the season, when Byron finally loosened the reigns a little, he started playing better again.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the Heat, he and Bosh joined a team that went 47-35 the season before he arrived. I think the biggest difference (or at least the one people are clinging to in their attempts to pretend that KD is somehow worse than Lebron now) is that he went to the team that just beat him, rather than trying to get better and beat them.

Yep.

Aldridge lost to the Spurs in 2013-14 playoffs and joined them a year removed from a title.

Nobody said shit :noidea:.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
definitely didnt invent it- just are by far the biggest spenders in the NBA right now. This is a game, a hobby to Gilbert.

that $60 million dollar check he has to cut to the league- in his mind- is well worth it to be the owner who delivered the first title to Cleveland in 52 years.

how many yachts can you water ski behind?

Ah yes. Money to burn AND wipe his ass with...:rolleyes2:

Keep acting like the guy loves throwing his money away...
:lol:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet people said the same thing Bron's first year in Miami.

the difference is- the Cavs have LeBron. As i have said many many times throughout the playoffs- since they started in May.....the team with the best player and the team that is mentally and physically tougher USUALLY win in the NBA. That is without a doubt the Cavs. the sky is the limit with kyrie too....curry guarding him was a joke- so they put curry on shumpert as much as they could---- and kyrie still lit up thompson.

high level iso in the pick and roll is very very hard to stop---- i guess now with durant it might be different, but there is no question that kyrie and lebron are much better at attacking and finishing then anyone on golden state...

golden state runs a great system- and they will again be heavy favorites, but as long as they rarely go to the rim and have absolutely zero post presence, you can game plan a little for that offense since it can be pretty one dimensional- jump shooting- as we saw the thunder and cavs do.

In Heat Big 3 year one, our 4th and 5th best players were supposed to be UD and Miller who both were injured.
The rest of the roster was veteran minimums.
Despite the greatness of Janes/Wade/Bosh, outside shooting was a weakness.
On top of that, they had to learn to play together.

This Warrior team is a modern day nightmare for opponents.
Yes, they are a center away from fieiding an all star team, but they've already added Zsa Zsa who certainly is ok for the role needed , West, plus whoever else they had/drafted and chances are they'll find someone else either now or at the trade deadline.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, in the pre-season, he looked like a poorman's Steve Nash. Then, for most of the regular season, he didn't play as well and got buried on the bench. Towards the end of the season, when Byron finally loosened the reigns a little, he started playing better again.
i thought he looked pretty slick- especially in the pick and roll at times...had a good command out there....

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes. Money to burn AND wipe his ass with...:rolleyes2:

Keep acting like the guy loves throwing his money away...
:lol:

Wonder why Delly and Mozgov are forced to sign with new teams tomorrow?

#gilbertcouldpay

Status
Not open for further replies.