• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan signed October 19th last year i believe. Dont expect anything to get done until around that time again. Both sides will continue to do their dance- and go right up to the deadline. Each side needs eachother. No team that wants Smith ahs nearly the cap room to sign him at this point anyway. He doesnt have any leverage by threatening to go elsewhere- and the Cavs cant replace him with how they are over the cap. itll get done- but itll get done only when it HAS to get done and probably not before.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan signed October 19th last year i believe. Dont expect anything to get done until around that time again. Both sides will continue to do their dance- and go right up to the deadline. Each side needs eachother. No team that wants Smith ahs nearly the cap room to sign him at this point anyway. He doesnt have any leverage by threatening to go elsewhere- and the Cavs cant replace him with how they are over the cap. itll get done- but itll get done only when it HAS to get done and probably not before.

He can just screw the Cavs over though. Sign a 1 year deal and leave in the summer. We will see what happens

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can just screw the Cavs over though. Sign a 1 year deal and leave in the summer. We will see what happens
I think the Cavs would be overjoyed if he took a 1 year contract. I know I would be. Thats probably their best-case scenario.

I bet the Cavs would PROBABLY ideally like a 2 year deal- Smith obviously probably wants a 4 year deal.

CAvs probably want to give Smith around 12M- he probably wants around 17M a year.

3 years 45 seems like a decently "fair" deal to me.

If the Cavs could totally 100% dictate the terms- i think a 2 year 24 million dollar deal is the absolute unrealistic ideal. I am sure Smith wants something like 4 years 70 million like Evan Turner- but that is his absolute unrealistic ideal deal.

3 years 45 seems about where it should end with- but i think the Cavs are having serious problems adding the 3rd year-- thats what i imagine the hang up is.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cavs would be overjoyed if he took a 1 year contract. I know I would be. Thats probably their best-case scenario.

They have to show him some type of respect. Giving him 10 mill with what's going on is a slap in the face. He deserves at least 13 mil or so

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the idea of keeping his feet to the fire and maintaining some flexibility- so if the Cavs said- 1 year 16M- and we will do this again next summer- i think the Cavs would be very happy with that------ i dont think JR would be. I think he wants a long term deal with security and he is insisting on at least 3 years if not 4- and i just dont think the cavs want to extend him out that far.

id rather them pay him a little extra and keep it under 3 years- but with the deals the rest of the guys on the market got- i think thats a tough sell.

we shall see where it ends up.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Bosh signs a vet minimum deal with the Warriors...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Bosh signs a vet minimum deal with the Warriors...
dude...if it happens anywhere it will be in Cleveland with the help of Bron and CCF. Of course his health will be the #1 priority- but it will be a lot easier to be patient and work with the guy when he is making $1million and not crippling your planning iwth $25M. Heat have to release him first anyway----- if thats whats happening. Who knows---- WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY to early in the process to even speculate to be honest.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
draymond is not nearly as important to curry for that team. i totally agree- dont have to be the best player to be a leader on a team- but there is simply no debate that Curry is BOTH the best player, and most important player on that team.

the whole draymond is the leader thing i think is even up for debate. this is the guy that was going crazy on Kerr. He might be the "heart and soul" of the team- but i dont even think he is the leader of the team either.

without Curry and his insane skill set the whole system just does not work there. They couldnt beat any good team in the playoffs without Curry.

I said he was the leader.

The most important is a whole nother debate.

As far as not beating anyone in the playoffswithout him, did they lose every game that he didn't play?

Draymond, yes.

Curry, no.

* cherry picking like a mofo*

:lol:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to show him some type of respect. Giving him 10 mill with what's going on is a slap in the face. He deserves at least 13 mil or so

Considering he's younger, just won a ring, he should get more than Jamal Crawford.

Sadly for him, The Cavs just aren't as big a schmuck as Doc.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering he's younger, just won a ring, he should get more than Jamal Crawford.

Sadly for him, The Cavs just aren't as big a schmuck as Doc.
3 years 39 would be pretty fair for JR...im EXPECTING something like 3 years 45 as a worst case scenario....i dont think the Cavs even want to go to 3 but i think they will have to.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 years 39 would be pretty fair for JR...im EXPECTING something like 3 years 45 as a worst case scenario....i dont think the Cavs even want to go to 3 but i think they will have to.

If Jamal Crawford got 3 - 42m, JR should as well. That's I think his worst case scenario.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jamal Crawford got 3 - 42m, JR should as well. That's I think his worst case scenario.
Multiple sources told ESPN that the Cavs have offered a three-year escalating contract to Smith with a partial guarantee in the fourth year, bringing the total guaranteed money north of $42 million -- the same amount Jamal Crawford got when he re-signed with the LA Clippers this offseason, except his deal only included $30.5 million guaranteed.

A source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN on Friday about the Cavs' offer: "I don't see it changing anytime soon."

"Negotiations are always two-sides," James said, "but J.R. did his part. J.R. did his part. He showed up every day. Worked his ass off every day. Became a two-way player, a model citizen in Cleveland and he's a fan favorite, obviously we all know that. All of the sudden now he's a season-ticket holder at the Indians games."

Outside of the Cavs, Smith's options are limited. The only teams with significant cap space remaining -- the 76ers, Nuggets, Nets, Suns and Jazz -- are either in rebuilding mode or already stocked at his position.

Lue wouldn't entertain the thought of negotiations falling apart and Smith going elsewhere, but -- when pressed -- said the team could withstand his departure if it came to that.

"We're saying that he is going to come back," Lue said. "If he doesn't come back, we understand it's a business and we just have to move forward. No excuses. Next man up. Next man has to be ready. We have some great pieces around who can also step in and play a role for us on this team."

James echoed that sentiment.

"We're missing a piece, but we still have enough talent," James sad. "We can't become full until he's here, but that doesn't deter anybody or any of the guys that's coming in to show up every day. We're still working our tails off and everybody who is filling in has been working extremely hard through this camp so far and we're going to continue to do that."

Lue also said Smith is not significantly hurting his chance to contribute this season by missing training camp.

"When you've been in a system for two years, you don't fall behind," Lue said. "The biggest thing is probably being in shape. He knows our offense, he knows our defense. We're not changing anything. I don't think from that standpoint he'll be behind at all."

While the prevailing sentiment is that the sides will come together eventually, James warned that one can never consider anything a done deal before it's actually done.

"Well, I always use this reference: It's like you're buying a house," James said. "You can go find a house, you do all the negotiations and all that, but you never got the house until it's closed and you got the keys. Last minute, someone can step in. Escrow could fall through or something. Then it ain't your house no more.

"So, J.R. is a free agent. He's not ours. He's still my brother right now. And I feel like when I play 2K17, he's still on the Cavs, so he's on my roster there, but it wouldn't be good if he was not here. It wouldn't be good for any side.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with JR is his history of not being consistent. Situation like these are why guys should show up EVERY night and give 1000%.

Is his talent worth what he's asking for? Sure. But there's just no guarantee he won't revert back into the JR from NY. I think that's what a smart GM would be trying to get through.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multiple sources told ESPN that the Cavs have offered a three-year escalating contract to Smith with a partial guarantee in the fourth year, bringing the total guaranteed money north of $42 million -- the same amount Jamal Crawford got when he re-signed with the LA Clippers this offseason, except his deal only included $30.5 million guaranteed.

A source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN on Friday about the Cavs' offer: "I don't see it changing anytime soon."

"Negotiations are always two-sides," James said, "but J.R. did his part. J.R. did his part. He showed up every day. Worked his ass off every day. Became a two-way player, a model citizen in Cleveland and he's a fan favorite, obviously we all know that. All of the sudden now he's a season-ticket holder at the Indians games."

Outside of the Cavs, Smith's options are limited. The only teams with significant cap space remaining -- the 76ers, Nuggets, Nets, Suns and Jazz -- are either in rebuilding mode or already stocked at his position.

Lue wouldn't entertain the thought of negotiations falling apart and Smith going elsewhere, but -- when pressed -- said the team could withstand his departure if it came to that.

"We're saying that he is going to come back," Lue said. "If he doesn't come back, we understand it's a business and we just have to move forward. No excuses. Next man up. Next man has to be ready. We have some great pieces around who can also step in and play a role for us on this team."

James echoed that sentiment.

"We're missing a piece, but we still have enough talent," James sad. "We can't become full until he's here, but that doesn't deter anybody or any of the guys that's coming in to show up every day. We're still working our tails off and everybody who is filling in has been working extremely hard through this camp so far and we're going to continue to do that."

Lue also said Smith is not significantly hurting his chance to contribute this season by missing training camp.

"When you've been in a system for two years, you don't fall behind," Lue said. "The biggest thing is probably being in shape. He knows our offense, he knows our defense. We're not changing anything. I don't think from that standpoint he'll be behind at all."

While the prevailing sentiment is that the sides will come together eventually, James warned that one can never consider anything a done deal before it's actually done.

"Well, I always use this reference: It's like you're buying a house," James said. "You can go find a house, you do all the negotiations and all that, but you never got the house until it's closed and you got the keys. Last minute, someone can step in. Escrow could fall through or something. Then it ain't your house no more.

"So, J.R. is a free agent. He's not ours. He's still my brother right now. And I feel like when I play 2K17, he's still on the Cavs, so he's on my roster there, but it wouldn't be good if he was not here. It wouldn't be good for any side.

It's a business.

Jr really has no leverage.

Based on what other guys got, he deserves 3/45.

But, I understand why the Cavs are reluctant.

Reactions: LAD

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with JR is his history of not being consistent. Situation like these are why guys should show up EVERY night and give 1000%.

Is his talent worth what he's asking for? Sure. But there's just no guarantee he won't revert back into the JR from NY. I think that's what a smart GM would be trying to get through.
well- Jr was amazing in new york for part of the time.

it seems that JR does well when he is on a good team with good leadership. Obviously that is the case in Cleveland where he has a team that will continue to play for titles and has the best leader in the league running the show- strong coaches, strong front office and ownership.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a business.

i think JR wants a lot more than even 3 years 45....i think he wants like 4 years 70.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think JR wants a lot more than even 3 years 45....i think he wants like 4 years 70.
chappelle-show-rick-james-bitch-cocaine-hell-drug.gif

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well- Jr was amazing in new york for part of the time.

it seems that JR does well when he is on a good team with good leadership. Obviously that is the case in Cleveland where he has a team that will continue to play for titles and has the best leader in the league running the show- strong coaches, strong front office and ownership.
And PART OF THE TIME doesn't cut it- obviously.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a business.

Any truth to the rumor the Cavs won't give JR the contract he wants because their still pissed @ him for not wearing a shirt during the championship parade?:noidea:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a business.

I think that is the most important detail surrounding the negotiations. If there were other teams he could entertain as better-or even good- options he probably would've already been resigned. But, because he WANTS to be with the Cavs AND there aren't any other good teams left to sign him he's in a bit of a pickle.