• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread part 2

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_myy2yekXjj1rrx588o1_500.gif

I'd make an avi bet with you and most of the cavs fans on this board, but they seem to mysteriously disappear when the cavs suck...

They don't disappear...they become OKC fans. :dhd:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't done much for Dallas.

True, but I feel like that's more of the exception than the rule. I guess it proves that it doesn't guarantee anything.

Also, as a current resident of Dallas... I can tell you that it still means a great deal to the Dallas locals. As a loyal LeBroniac, I can tell you that the mavs fans are still getting just as much glee and delight out of the spanking they put on the Heat as the moment it all went down. :tsk:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but I feel like that's more of the exception than the rule. I guess it proves that it doesn't guarantee anything.

Also, as a current resident of Dallas... I can tell you that it still means a great deal to the Dallas locals. As a loyal LeBroniac, I can tell you that the mavs fans are still getting just as much glee and delight out of the spanking they put on the Heat as the moment it all went down. :tsk:

Actually, it's more the rule than the exception.

Winning a title always means something to the fans. But there is no guarantee that it will lead to sustained success. In fact, most of the time it doesn't.

Agree with a title remaining special/important though. From a fans perspective, it actually makes the title grow to be even more special over time.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are singing a totally different tune.
Cavs have no cap space whether he signs for 12 or 15M, right?
Just like Tristan last summer.

If Gilbert doesn't care about luxury tax, this would be a done.
I'm not saying Gilbert is wrong. I think he is being smart.
James lost his leverage for the time being and by the time he regains it, as I've stated before, my opinion is Gilbert won't care if he leaves.
absolutely positively not. If there was no salary cap and it was like baseball this thing would be done- but if you give Smith a 3 year 45 million dollar deal- there is no way to get off that contract if it goes bad--- that means you have to get off of a more valuable contract if something happens and you need flexibility. Plus- depending on how far you are over the cap- you start losing out on certain exceptions to sign guys. Plus- we have no freaking clue what hte next CBA is going to look like- and to tie yourself into a contract JUST BECAUSE- could significantly hurt you down the road.

2 years from now you have no clue what the salary cap could look like- if there is a major injury to a guy- if a young guy like Felder or McRae emerges so someone like Smith becomes expendable if you can get off his contract -- like if the Shumpert plays like he did 2 years ago- getting off 2 years 20 million is nothing if you wanted to/needed to move him.

Cavs and Smith are gonna get a deal done- its in both parties best interest- but the cavs arent gonna overpay just to overpay- they are gonna negotiate as hard as they can and let the chips fall where they may. If they wanted this done they could have offered him a 4 year deal at Evan Turner money weeks ago- but that makes no sense what so ever.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what? wait--- if all the Heat fans brag about getting meetings with top free agents that they really have no chance to get--- then yo ugotta include Cuban in the conversation too! though i guess Cuban did get Harrison Barnes - which- is admittedly a door prize compared to a real elite FA- but its a helluva lot better than getting the NBA version of syphilis- AKA Luol Deng and his Thibs miles on a 4 year contract over the age of 30.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what? wait--- if all the Heat fans brag about getting meetings with top free agents that they really have no chance to get--- then yo ugotta include Cuban in the conversation too! though i guess Cuban did get Harrison Barnes - which- is admittedly a door prize compared to a real elite FA- but its a helluva lot better than getting the NBA version of syphilis- AKA Luol Deng and his Thibs miles on a 4 year contract over the age of 30.

Outside of Durant, what other top free agent did the Heat meet with that they had no chance to get?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Durant, what other top free agent did the Heat meet with that they had no chance to get?
hmmm.....good point....i guess that is true that they really havent gotten any other meetings with elite free agents lately.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u watch the tribe tonight? UNBELIEVABLE....Corey Kluber is unreal

i went ot the game last night....freaking EXHAUSTED- didnt get home till passed 1, worked all day- just got home from watching the game out....i am gonna pass out for the next 18 hours.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u watch the tribe tonight? UNBELIEVABLE....Corey Kluber is unreal

i went ot the game last night....freaking EXHAUSTED- didnt get home till passed 1, worked all day- just got home from watching the game out....i am gonna pass out for the next 18 hours.

can you make that the next 18 months...?:lol:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely positively not. If there was no salary cap and it was like baseball this thing would be done- but if you give Smith a 3 year 45 million dollar deal- there is no way to get off that contract if it goes bad--- that means you have to get off of a more valuable contract if something happens and you need flexibility. Plus- depending on how far you are over the cap- you start losing out on certain exceptions to sign guys. Plus- we have no freaking clue what hte next CBA is going to look like- and to tie yourself into a contract JUST BECAUSE- could significantly hurt you down the road.

2 years from now you have no clue what the salary cap could look like- if there is a major injury to a guy- if a young guy like Felder or McRae emerges so someone like Smith becomes expendable if you can get off his contract -- like if the Shumpert plays like he did 2 years ago- getting off 2 years 20 million is nothing if you wanted to/needed to move him.

Cavs and Smith are gonna get a deal done- its in both parties best interest- but the cavs arent gonna overpay just to overpay- they are gonna negotiate as hard as they can and let the chips fall where they may. If they wanted this done they could have offered him a 4 year deal at Evan Turner money weeks ago- but that makes no sense what so ever.

In a normal situation, I would agree with you but any situation with James on a teams roster hasn't been normal for years.

It's a win NOW situation.
Yes, the ultimate pressure is gone because they already won.
2-3 years from now is not even a thought in James' mind and if he's gone, then it really doesn't make any difference who is on the Cavs roster...correct??

Smith has no leverage, because nobody else wants him for anything close to what he's asking.
He's not worried because like Tristan , who was in the same boat last summer, hiring Klutch assured him that he'd be just fine.