• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Free Agency Talk

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryans got cut about an hour ago. I do like the idea of Celek being brought in.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure moving Ogletree inside is very smart. Ogletree is a big LB that has speed and explosiveness to the point of attack. His ability to pick-off passes is pretty darn good. Inside, he is more limited. I think the Rams should leave him outside and draft Makatavetch who is a true MLB. This business of drafting players and then moving them out of their college playing position works sometimes but our track record hasn't been too successful as these things go. Does GRob come to mind?

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, GRob was a LT in college, which is where he is struggling.

I have the same worries about Tree though.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure moving Ogletree inside is very smart. Ogletree is a big LB that has speed and explosiveness to the point of attack. His ability to pick-off passes is pretty darn good. Inside, he is more limited. I think the Rams should leave him outside and draft Makatavetch who is a true MLB. This business of drafting players and then moving them out of their college playing position works sometimes but our track record hasn't been too successful as these things go. Does GRob come to mind?

Not sure what to think about this? Most "good" MLB's usually lead their team in tackles, Tree was leading the Rams(if not the league) in tackles last year when he got hurt, maybe at MLB he goes nuts?

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need a more athletic MLB, and Ogletree fits that mold. Barron came in and filled in very well when Ogletree web down. Those two flying around will be an improvement over Laurinaitis being blocked and missing tackles.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher also said the QB will be Case Keenum.

Pretty sure Fisher wouldn't have Ogletree start the process of taking over the position with Williams just to pick up someone else to play MLB.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Fisher wouldn't have Ogletree start the process of taking over the position with Williams just to pick up someone else to play MLB.

Pretty sure Fisher ain't going into 2016 with Case Keenum as his starting QB - a 2016 season that could be his last season if the Rams don't show improvement, especially on offense. What process is Tree starting to take over at MLB? Watching film? Is he even fully healthy? I would have Ogletree learn the position just to be flexible and if he excels, then great. But the guy has played OLB all his life.

Ogletree is athletic as hell and has speed, but I don't know if he has the nose (instincts), strength or toughness to play MLB.

Fisher could be blowing smoke too because he wants to draft a MLB type player. There are some pretty good ILBs in this draft.

Tyler Matakevich
*Scooby Wright III

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is scooby's draft song the theme from scooby doo?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, GRob was a LT in college, which is where he is struggling.

I have the same worries about Tree though.

Yes, technically he was a LT.

But when 75% of your teams plays are runs, you are a glorified guard.

That's what GRob was and a big reason why many of us on here hated the pick because we saw Smith/Gallery 2.0

And, sadly, that is exactly what he looks like right now.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, technically he was a LT.

But when 75% of your teams plays are runs, you are a glorified guard.

That's what GRob was and a big reason why many of us on here hated the pick because we saw Smith/Gallery 2.0

And, sadly, that is exactly what he looks like right now.

Of course, and starting him at guard in the NFL didn't help him adjust to pass pro either. However, how many of these incoming LTs are ready to pass protect at the pro level? These spread offenses where you only have to block for a few seconds don't prepare linemen well for the pros either.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is why you don't draft spread lineman in my opinion. I'm still curious as to what this team is going to do in regards to personnel. I don't see how moving tree to the middle is going to solve anything. Taking a guy out of his normal position, I mean really? We have 1 decent LB now with the rest being scrubs, scabs and practice squad fodder. In addition, there is not one quality WR on the team not named Austin. Did the rams even see if Long would restructure???

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams would like to bring Tim Barnes back at center
11:29 PM ET
  • wagoner_nick_m.jpg
    Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Lost in the discussion of the Los Angeles Rams' pursuit of retaining the majority of their secondary and key defensive free agents is the fact that they also have a starter on the offensive line set to become an unrestricted free agent.

Tim Barnes, who earlier this offseason said he hopes to remain with the team that gave him his first starting opportunity, is also set to hit the open market when the new league year begins in March.

And while the potential for adding an upgrade at the position is possible, Rams general manager Les Snead said Thursday that the team would like to keep Barnes around.

"The plan at center is, hey, I’ll give Tim Barnes credit, he’s one of those guys we’d like to get back," Snead said. "At the end of the day, we didn’t think he was a weak link so we definitely want to get him back."

The Rams spent five total draft picks on offensive linemen last year, and that unit improved as the season went on with Barnes manning the middle. That came after Barnes signed a one-year, $1 million deal after the team didn't offer him a tender as a restricted free agent.

For the most part, Barnes was solid if unspectacular. He started all 16 games in 2015, proving durable as he played 913 snaps, well over the 266 he'd played from 2012-2014.

Keeping Barnes means having some continuity on the line -- an attractive prospect, according to Snead.

"I think the center and the QB thing is very important," Snead said. "There’s a lot of continuity on our line and a lot of things in terms of our young offensive linemen so sometimes you want to keep that heartbeat, that brain in check so that all the other guys can kind of fall in line and be communicated with and not have to learn new communication."

Beyond Barnes, the only other option on the roster is Demetrius Rhaney, a player the Rams hoped would push for the center job last year but finished second in an open competition during training camp.

Snead said Rhaney figures into the mix again as well.

"The answer is yes because you can take Rhaney’s history coming from a smaller level of competition and going through an injury, the more chances he can get to get better is going to give him a chance to overcome where he came from," Snead said. "So that’s a yes."

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snead and Fish haven't earned the right for fans to be optimistic about the job they can do on offense.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reporting Chicago is tagging Ashton Jeffries

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Rams: Alec Ogletree's Move Inside Could Hurt Linebacker
by Matt LaPan 13h ago

Following the recent round of veteran cuts in LA – including middle linebacker James Laurinaitis – the Los Angeles Rams have announced plans for outside linebacker Alec Ogletree to take over at the middle linebacker position in the 2016 season.
alec-ogletree-nfl-seattle-seahawks-st.-louis-rams-590x900.jpg
Sep 13, 2015; St. Louis, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams outside linebacker Alec Ogletree (52) celebrates after defeating the Seattle Seahawks 34-31 in overtime at the Edward Jones Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

“Yes, Alec’s going to be our Mike,” coach Jeff Fisher said in a recent press conference. “I’ve had the conversation with him since the difficult time in releasing James, and Alec is really excited about moving inside.” Fisher continued by saying, “As I told James, that was the reason for the decision.”

Ogletree is entering his 4th NFL season out of Georgia and has been playing outside linebacker since he became a Ram. He tallied 100-plus tackles in each of his first two seasons in the NFL and was on pace for 168 tackles in 2015 before an injury ended his season in Week 4.

The Beauty Of Binge-Watching Is Never Having To Leave Your House, Before You Hit The Play Button, Make Sure You’ve Secured Your Snack Supply
This weekend, cancel your plans, prepare some snacks and enjoy binge-watching all your favorites.
Promoted by Orville Redenbacher's

His combination of size (6-2) and speed made the Georgia native one of the ascending young linebackers in the league. This move to middle linebacker has the potential to be the undoing of all the hard work and progress Ogletree has achieved.

Although Ogletree is the same size, or bigger than eight of the other 14 starting middle linebackers on 4-3 teams in 2015, His style will have to change with a move to the inside. Not only will Ogletree have to take on more responsibility by calling out the defense, he will also have to work through more traffic to get to his tackles.

This could cause big problems for Ogletree – a linebacker who relies on speed and athleticism to make plays in space. This is becoming the calling card of many athletic outside linebackers, but is more rare for inside linebackers.

Ogletree has also shown great skill defending players off the line of scrimmage in the pass game. He does a good job picking up players off the end of the line – but that changes when having to defend from the middle of the field. He will have to rely more on field vision and instincts over his pure coverage skills.

alec-ogletree-nfl-new-york-giants-st.-louis-rams-300x600.jpg
Dec 21, 2014; St. Louis, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams outside linebacker Alec Ogletree (52) takes the field before the game between the St. Louis Rams and the New York Giants at the Edward Jones Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Another factor that could hurt Ogletree’s progress when moving inside is the coverage of the players around him. After having a steady presence in Laurinaitis next to him to start his career, Ogletree will have Akeem Ayers and Mark Barron on either side of him.

Although Barron filled the outside linebacker role well in 2015, he will have to continue to grow into the role in 2016 and could deal with some growing pains. That is if Barron, a free agent, is re-signed by the Rams.

On the other side, Ayers struggle to make the transition to a full-time player in 2015. He tallied just 47 tackles on the season and failed to meet expectations as a pass rusher after a strong 2014 with the New England Patriots.

Ogletree will have to make sure that these two players, and backups such as Darren Bates, Bryce Hager and Cameron Lynch are in the correct spot and have the correct assignments. This will hinder his own ability to align himself correctly as he learns how to play inside.

With the move announced, and the priority in free agency lying in the defensive backfield, the Rams could be hindering the progress of one of their young defensive stars by moving Ogletree to middle linebacker in 2016.