• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Free Agency Talk

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rams are keen on Ogletree playing MLB, and all indications say they are, then they need to re-sign Barron. Having both guys on the field at the same time should lead to a more productive season for the linebackers.

As far as Jeffery or Mack, I'd lean towards Mack. He's one of the best, if not the best, Centers in the game and it would be nice to have a talented veteran to help out our young guys on the offensive line.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most here.

if it's a choice between Jenkins or Johnson, I prefer Johnson. I think Gaines can fill Jenkins role moreso than Johnson's ( assuming he's back to his level of play prior to the injury of course ).

Mack, if he does leave Cleveland, will be the highest paid C in the league. that's just too rich for the Rams to take on. If they were going to throw huge jack at someone, I'd rather it be Jeffries.

We should find a way to sign both Mack and Jeffries! .....PAY EM!!! .....I actually think that this would be the jump start that this offense truly needs! We should dump Britt to add additional $$ and pray to the good Lord the Robinson learns how to pass block! :brick:

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 will be cut before March 9th. I think he's the kind of QB we needs to come in and become our starter. High risk high reward, but he handled himself well the last year as a back up.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 will be cut before March 9th. I think he's the kind of QB we needs to come in and become our starter. High risk high reward, but he handled himself well the last year as a back up.
Not that I disagree with the high risk, high reward aspect, but handled himself 'well'... IDK?

There was this long message RGIII just left at his locker in the Redskins locker room before parting ways...

CYcyo9-U0AAPEk6.jpg

I mean, this is a great, inspirational message to 'yourself'. A message you put in the gym or your office to inspire yourself, not one to leave behind in your absence.

Still pretty clear to me, this guy still has a lot of growing up do.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. You never heard about him being a malcontent this season. From all accounts, he was very supportive of the team and Cousins. That speaks volumes to me.

And I want a player who is looking forward in his careers and willing to put the work in to be great. I really think he's the only option on the market that can improve the position for the long term.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacements for released Rams likely to come from in-house
Feb 22, 2016
  • wagoner_nick_m.jpg
    Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Los Angeles Rams said goodbye to three key veterans last week in linebacker James Laurinaitis, defensive end Chris Long and tight end Jared Cook.

As with any time a team releases a player, a void is created. For a team like the Rams, creating more needs wouldn't seem to be a wise decision. But these moves were a little bit different.

This time, the Rams believed they had most of their replacements already on the roster. Let's take a look at how the Rams could go about replacing Long, Laurinaitis and Cook.

1. Alec Ogletree moves to middle linebacker to replace Laurinaitis.Assuming the Rams can re-sign Mark Barron to step into Ogletree's spot on the weak side, this is the Rams' plan to replace Laurinaitis. After Ogletree suffered what turned into a season-ending injury in Week 4 last year, Barron stepped in at weak side linebacker and played well in his stead. That left the Rams with a dilemma of trying to figure out how they can have Barron and Ogletree on the field at the same time moving forward. And not just on the field together but on the field together enough to justify what figures to be a decent-sized contract for Barron. So sliding Ogletree to the middle (a position he played in college) and keeping Barron in Ogletree's former spot was the solution that they ultimately came up with. Ogletree certainly offers playmaking ability but he will be tested when it comes to holding up to the rigors of playing inside.

2. William Hayes re-signs to replace Long. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Rams ended up spending the No. 15 overall pick on a defensive end. We've seen that they love spending high picks on defensive linemen and this year's draft is loaded with them. But the more logical move would be to re-sign Hayes and then spend a later pick on a young defensive end to develop behind him in a draft that has plenty of depth there. Hayes has played well as a starter in Long's place each of the past two seasons and though he's going to be 31 at the start of next season, he still has gas in the tank. The Rams also have youngsters Ethan Westbrooks and Matt Longacre, who both have flashed potential and should be able to contribute in a rotation. For his part, Hayes prefers to play for coach Jeff Fisher, who drafted him in Tennessee and signed him with the Rams. So long as the money is about equal, that's a deal the Rams should be able to get done.

3. Lance Kendricks takes on a larger role to replace Cook. The Rams re-signed Kendricks to a fairly lucrative contract last offseason and used him in tandem with Cook on a regular basis. Of these three openings, this is the one where the Rams will probably have to go outside their roster to find help. Kendricks could get an increased role but after him, there's not much in the way of sure things. Cory Harkey is an unrestricted free agent and Justice Cunningham has value but more as a blocker than a pass-catcher. The Rams could use a tight end who can be a consistent threat as a receiver but Kendricks is the guy on the roster most likely to step in and play whatever snaps Cook leaves behind.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. You never heard about him being a malcontent this season. From all accounts, he was very supportive of the team and Cousins. That speaks volumes to me.

And I want a player who is looking forward in his careers and willing to put the work in to be great. I really think he's the only option on the market that can improve the position for the long term.
I understand what you are saying RF88, and you are right, it does speak volumes. All I'm saying is, this final chapter, it says something too. And it tells me something, I'm not sure exactly, but it does say something we may want to listen to.

Do you disagree with his 'need' to leave something like this in his absence or do you see that as a normal and/or a healthy thing?

As far as looking forward, we do need a QB who is willing to 'put the work in' and if you look at last year with RGIII and Coach Jay Gruden, I'm not sure you will like the answers you may hear or at least what I've heard on NFL radio just this week.

One of the main issues with not starting RGIII and the heir apparent at QB over Cousins last season, was actually 'the work' RGIII put in with learning the new system.

It held him back and put him behind Kirk according to Pat Kirwan, as Pat talked about this very issue regarding Robert this week on 'Moving the Chains'.

Last edited:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with they checking out RG3 as an option if the money makes sense, because although I think he offers some upside compared to what we have, it's not significant enough to throw decent $ at.

having said that, I think the Rams will just stay pat at the QB position. Fisher already named Keenum the starter and they are paying Foles handsomely to sit on the bench as the backup, and they drafted Mannion last season. I don't think they are willing to carry 4 QB's with the depth that is needed for OL and other positions.

it's just too bad that Rams FO did the typical "jump the gun" with Foles and signed him to that ridiculous extension before he even played a snap. other wise, he would be a FA right now and they would have another 8M to spend.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to do whatever it takes to find the best quarterback for this team, exhaust every avenue. I don't care if it a draft pick, or some free agent. Our offense was pitiful and that is with one of the best running backs in football. Imagine if we didn't have Gurley last year, we would set records in ineptitude.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with they checking out RG3 as an option if the money makes sense, because although I think he offers some upside compared to what we have, it's not significant enough to throw decent $ at.

having said that, I think the Rams will just stay pat at the QB position. Fisher already named Keenum the starter and they are paying Foles handsomely to sit on the bench as the backup, and they drafted Mannion last season. I don't think they are willing to carry 4 QB's with the depth that is needed for OL and other positions.

it's just too bad that Rams FO did the typical "jump the gun" with Foles and signed him to that ridiculous extension before he even played a snap. other wise, he would be a FA right now and they would have another 8M to spend.

I highlye doubt the Rams and standing pat at qb.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I do agree that RG3 has more growing up to do, I also think he was humbled sitting all last year while his team made the playoffs.

HoW much did he learn is the question. Has he put in time in the film room or will
He? How Motivated is he?

And the only way the Rams pick him up is if we trade Foles. No way the Rams have that much money tied up at QB again and question marks on the Oline.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I do agree that RG3 has more growing up to do, I also think he was humbled sitting all last year while his team made the playoffs.

HoW much did he learn is the question. Has he put in time in the film room or will
He? How Motivated is he?

And the only way the Rams pick him up is if we trade Foles. No way the Rams have that much money tied up at QB again and question marks on the Oline.

Trading Foles will be almost impossible with his salary and his play last season.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Los Angeles Rams Just Low-Ball Free Agent CB Janoris Jenkins?
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ on Feb 23, 2016, 8:48p 51

usa-today-8808683.0.jpg
Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

TweetShare on Twitter ShareShare on Facebook PinPinterest 51 Comments
Re-signing Los Angeles Rams’ cornerback Janoris Jenkins might have been the team’s top priority heading into the 2016 offseason. And if they’ve already made him that offer, it appears he’s not all that thrilled with it.

Jenkins took to Twitter on Tuesday night to vent about what appears to have been a low-ball effort from the Rams [h/t @T_Bron]

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-02-23%2Bat%2B9.41.59%2BPM.png

Stay tuned! And not just for the remainder of free agency. Janoris may have more to say this evening, and we’ll be more than glad to keep you abreast of the situation.

Jenkins landed at No. 42 on Pro Football Focuslist of 2016 Free Agents. He dropped in at 28 on Pro Football Talk’s Top 100 list.

And if you were hoping the Rams’ efforts to lock up both Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson would be a seamless effort...buckle up.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Mack A Possibility for the Los Angeles Rams?
by Michael Smith 15h ago Follow @mikesmithfb

With a three-time Pro Bowler on the verge of testing the free-agent market, is it possible there will a new center of attention in Los Angeles and no “return of the Mack” in Cleveland?
With Monday’s news that center Alex Mack will opt out of his contract with the Cleveland Browns, that makes his possibility of becoming a free agent even more likely. with the Los Angeles Rams possibly pursuing a new center, a move to the City of Angels could be in his future.

Related Story: Five Free Agent Targets for the Los Angeles Rams
While a return to Cleveland isn’t out of the question for the three-time Pro Bowler, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, this hasn’t been the first time Mack’s status with the Browns has come into question. In 2014, Mack signed a five-year $42 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but due to Cleveland assigning the transition tag to him, it nullified the deal when they matched the offer just five days later.

alex-mack-nfl-san-francisco-49ers-cleveland-browns-1-590x900.jpg
Dec 13, 2015; Cleveland, OH, USA; Cleveland Browns center Alex Mack (55) makes a block for a Cleveland Browns third quarter touchdown against the San Francisco 49ers at FirstEnergy Stadium. The Browns defeated the 49ers 24-10. Mandatory Credit: Scott R. Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

With that information in mind, Mack could very well be trying to leave Cleveland for greener pastures in spite of what he was quoted as saying after this year’s Pro Bowl, “It was good to leave the season, take some time off and let that all shake out,” he said in a quote via Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. “Really happy they got everything handled early and they found their guy. They’re getting a staff together quickly. It’s going in the right direction. I think they’ve got good things going in the right places.”

Of course, it’s highly doubtful Mack would openly speak ill of his employer and with his hometown Los Angeles Rams calling with plenty of cash to spare, Mack could find himself in a tricky situation with a team back home in southern California in much better shape than the Browns calling his number.

#Giants C Weston Richburg has allowed 9 total pressures this season, less than 1/3 of Alex Mack (30). Currently our #1 rated C #ProBowlSnubs

— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) December 23, 2015

Mack had a less than desirable season in 2015 despite being named to his third Pro Bowl. Many believed his invite was on name recognition only given the amount of quarterback pressures he gave up (via Pro Football Focus). He also has an injury history, having missed 11 games in 2014 with a broken fibula.

In addition, there’s also the question of his age. Mack just recently turned 30, a falling off point for NFL lineman. So a large contract may be out of the question especially with a younger center such as Jacksonville’s Stefen Wisniewski possibly entering the market as well.

More NFL Spin Zone: Los Angeles Rams: Case Keenum
While Mack would likely fetch the same amount of money in the deal he struck with the Jaguars before being made invalid, he’s a proven talent that would immediately become the veteran presence the Rams have been longing for since new Pro Football Hall of Fame tackle Orlando Pace helped man the team’s offensive line.

And Mack’s performance on what has been an equally-abysmal Browns’ team as of late, offers reassurance as to how he may pan out with the Rams.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Janoris has "earned" a big time payday. If the Rams are low balling him, it's because they must be more focused on bringing Tru back.

And I would approve of that message :thumb:

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles allegedly want Foles back, maybe something can get worked out?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him for Jason Peters or Demeco Ryans and/or Brent Celek? They're all potential cuts.

Peters is 34 and an injury risk, but if healthy could push GRob inside. He's under contract through the end of 2018 with an escalating salary, so he would likely only be a short term option and a cut target as early as next year.

Ryans is an expiring contract at $5M and at 32 is slowing down, but could temporarily replace Laurinaitis at MLB.

Celek is due about $5M/year and is still an OK option at TE. He is an easy cut next year.

Sproles is also a potential cut, but I don't see the fit with Austin in place (and I think the Eagles will hold onto him).

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher confirmed that Ogletree will be the MLB next year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher confirmed that Ogletree will be the MLB next year.

They'll still need someone who can fill in, in case of injury. Just throwing ideas out there as possible trade matches with the Eagles.